Former official claims Alabama’s Sylve should have been credited with pick

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
What a novelty, officials who read the rule book. Maybe the SEC should buy a few copies for their crews and politely ask them to open the book.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Yeah, but it didn't cost us which was good. Team responded.
But....In GAME like that it should NEVER happen. It is one thing to miss a play like that with thenake eye, but then to go on after minutes of checking it on replay and THEN botch the WHOLE rule is inexcusable IMO. And I thought on the whole Owens crew did pretty well but EVERYONE dropped the ball so-to-speak on that play.

But....In GAME like that it should NEVER happen. It is one thing to miss a play like that with thenake eye, but then to go on after minutes of checking it on replay and THEN botch the WHOLE rule is inexcusable IMO. And I thought on the whole Owens crew did pretty well but EVERYONE dropped the ball so-to-speak on that play.
Correct. It was an awful miss and I saw that real time.

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com
At the time I thought it was a tie goes to both, but Sylve's foot was out of bounds so it was an obvious incomplete. Then when I saw the replay Sylve should have gotten that INT. Yep in the end, we won but that could have been huge and was the play that convinced me we had no home field advantage with the refs at all.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I don't like Pereira, but there's no arguing with that. They blew the call.

I personally think they screwed up twice. Once by reviewing after Auburn had snapped the ball, second by screwing up the call on the review.
That was the first time I've ever seen them go back and review a play after another one had been run. If Auburn had of had a big gain on the play that didn't officially happen, Gus would have really melted down. It was gratifying to see him not get his way with the refs for once, although ultimately the call did go his way.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Wow I did not know that.
Neither did Rocky Goode, the replay official. And apparently, neither did Nick Saban.

If he did, he should have brought Owens over and said, " Wait a second (pun intended)! You just announced that it was a simultaneous catch belonging to the offense. That is correct ONLY if both players were on the ground when the catch was made. They were not. You need to get Rocky back on the head set and find out which player hit the ground first because that is what the rule reads."

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That was the first time I've ever seen them go back and review a play after another one had been run. If Auburn had of had a big gain on the play that didn't officially happen, Gus would have really melted down. It was gratifying to see him not get his way with the refs for once, although ultimately the call did go his way.
They blew the whistle before the snap but the crowd was so loud that the team didn't hear it and ran the play. It was a late whistle, but they blew it. Happens all the time - just not for replays.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
They blew the whistle before the snap but the crowd was so loud that the team didn't hear it and ran the play. It was a late whistle, but they blew it. Happens all the time - just not for replays.
What frustrated me was the fact that the crew chief on the field didn't immediately go to the booth for review. Without a doubt there were questions about whether there was possession, by which player, and whether they were even inbounds. Auburn should have never been in position to run the next play because officials should have called timeout.
i

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
What frustrated me was the fact that the crew chief on the field didn't immediately go to the booth for review. Without a doubt there were questions about whether there was possession, by which player, and whether they were even inbounds. Auburn should have never been in position to run the next play because officials should have called timeout.
i
I don't know who calls for those reviews in the SEC, but I suspect that the request to stop play for a review has to come from the booth.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.