Reports: Freeze Has an Offer from FL and a Counter-offer from Ole Miss

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
clicky

Ole Miss head coach Hugh Freeze is considering an offer to coach at the University of Florida for a base salary in the range of $4.2 to $4.3 million annually, according to multiple sources.

Additional sources confirm the Rebels are attempting to compete with the Gators' offer, pushing Freeze's salary to somewhere near the $4 million range to take compensation out of the question in a potential decision by Freeze between the two schools.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Whether we like it or not, Freeze is a winner. The guy's won at every level and every sport he's coached.

That said, he's at 'home' at Ole Miss. I'd be very surprised if he left for Florida.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I have a hard time believing this.

LOL, just looked it up, Sexton is his agent. You're going to see about half of Sexton's clients get raises after 'UF makes an offer'...

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
Hugh would makes sense in that he is a great recruiter. If UF can keep their recruits home, they can do well on sheer talent alone but Hugh has shown he is a very capable coach. I would give the edge to CMac on coaching alone but Hugh is a proven grade A recruiter and in Florida that means a lot.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Hugh would makes sense in that he is a great recruiter. If UF can keep their recruits home, they can do well on sheer talent alone
CWM brought in classes ranked #3, #4, and #8 the last three years - recruiting at UF is a given. It takes more than a slew a talented players to win at the highest level, which is what the gatahs expect. Freeze may turn out to be a great coach, but he's won nothing yet.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Defense has been the key to this teams success. If his Defensive Coordinator is not part of the package not sure it would be worth the hire. I will credit him they mentioned during our game that he figured out moving faster on offense does not equal better. Don't think he really tempoed (new word add it to the dictionary) us much at all.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
I love this development, if true. It means that either OM will have less slush-fund money for recruits or UF has less of a chance to become dominant than some other options.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
Hugh Freeze is another Houston Nutt. A decent, middling football coach and snake oil salesman who "loves" his home state school (at least till now) and will take them on a roller coaster ride of overachievement and underachievement, but will ultimately wear out his welcome once recruits stop buying the snake oil.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Hugh would makes sense in that he is a great recruiter. If UF can keep their recruits home, they can do well on sheer talent alone but Hugh has shown he is a very capable coach. I would give the edge to CMac on coaching alone but Hugh is a proven grade A recruiter and in Florida that means a lot.
is Freeze a great recruiter or is it Ole Mi$$?? :rolleye2:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
If I'm Florida -- I'm signing McIlwain. You can get him for 1-2 Million less than someone like Freeze. He's proven he can coach 5 Star Kids, 4 Star Kids, 3 Star Kids, and 2 Star Kids -- and got results with all of them...... Take the extra 1-2 Million you want to spend -- and I'd hire a Kiffenesque Hire -- and get me a top notch DC.....

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
CWM brought in classes ranked #3, #4, and #8 the last three years - recruiting at UF is a given. It takes more than a slew a talented players to win at the highest level, which is what the gatahs expect. Freeze may turn out to be a great coach, but he's won nothing yet.
You could be right, but you can count on one hand the number of posters on this board who thought he had a snowball's chance in Hades of winning last Saturday. He is an offensive coach who can recruit. Florida made it clear they want an offensive-minded coach.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
If I'm Florida -- I'm signing McIlwain. You can get him for 1-2 Million less than someone like Freeze. He's proven he can coach 5 Star Kids, 4 Star Kids, 3 Star Kids, and 2 Star Kids -- and got results with all of them...... Take the extra 1-2 Million you want to spend -- and I'd hire a Kiffenesque Hire -- and get me a top notch DC.....
Doesn't JM have a 7.5 mil buyout?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.