Link: Film Study: Missouri has All the Tools to Take It to Alabama

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Admit it.

You’ve doubted the University of Missouri ever since you heard it would be making the transition from the Big 12 to our beloved Southeastern Conference just three short seasons ago.

And when the Tigers finished a putrid 5-7, in their first season of play, you felt justified in your feelings that a finesse, spread-to-pass outfit wouldn’t be able to cut the mustard in a conference full of uber-physical squads that swap helmet paint on a weekly basis.

But when they subsequently won the SEC East — while finishing 12-2 — you went with the old adage: Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in a while.

And despite the fact that this season Mizzou had navigated the majority of its schedule with only two losses, you’ve continually pointed out the fact that one of the defeats was to the University of Indiana — at home no less.

You kept waiting for the other shoe to fall so that the University of Georgia would find its rightful place in the SEC Championship Game over the Tigers from the “Show Me State.” Well Mizzou showed you as it finished off two of the hottest teams in the SEC — Tennessee and Arkansas — and will now once again head to Atlanta to play for all the marbles (SEC-wise) against the Alabama Crimson Tide.

But in your heart you don’t feel as though Mizzou stands a chance against the mighty Tide and the game may resemble the Tigers’ other loss, a 34-0 defeat at the hands of Georgia. But au contraire mon frère; Missouri plays a brand of football that’s difficult for anyone to deal with, and it’s been that way the majority of head coach Gary Pinkel’s underrated tenure.

It’s time to recognize Missouri is a major player in the SEC, and that fact won’t be changing anytime soon.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
They stand a chance like Arkansas did and LSU did, and of course, Ole Miss did. Missouri has good tools. It's a matter of whether those tools can stand up to Alabama's. I personally think they will come up short against the Tide. But anything can happen which is why Alabama will still have to prepare and play to their ability. Missouri is not a bad team.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I read the whole article...
Don't get me wrong, I do think they're decent team with real good defense, but c'mon...

The last six games were against Florida, Vandy, Kentucky, Texas A and M, Tenn and Arkansas.
The close games they had was against ( SC 21-20) , (Vandy 24-14), (Kentucky 20-10), ( TAMU 34-27), ( Tenn 29-21) (Arkansas 21-14)
They lost to Georgia (0-34 ) and they had five turnovers in that game.

The issues with them is their offense. They have issues converting on third downs. Mauk has issue with his throwing shoulder lately, isn't 100 percent healthy. They can be inconsistent at times and it can get Defense in trouble.
They are real good at defense, but I don't know if they really faced a good team this year... Georgia and Arkansas... Florida... well.. Florida is Florida.. I just don't know how good they are given the schedule they had this year. I think they will give us little trouble at first and then after 2nd quarter, its over.
Why? Did you only read the part I copied or did you read the entire piece?

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I only read what you copied, and I watched all of their game Saturday. I hate to use the Colt excuse, but if the Hogs QB doesn't get hurt (and play half the game that way), Bama is playing Georgia Saturday.
I don't buy Mizzou's defense being that great, and I have watched them play two games (Hogs and Dawgs). Mauk is Bo 2.0 last year. Their schedule http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-14/sec/2014-missouri-tigers-football-schedule.php hasn't been that tough, and they still lost two games.
Good? Yes - they can even show flashes of being very good. But only flashes, and not good enough to even hang with Bama for more than 3 quarters.
Bama defense will be the best they have faced; hogs played them tough but tired out because their offense couldn't move the ball.
I watched the matadors in last years SECCG, and I think it will be the same in the second half this year.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I think Mizzou will get clobbered if they turn the ball over 5 time like they did against Georgia but that's not to happen. I didn't watch that game but I have seen them play Tennessee and Arkansas and I'm pretty impressed with their team. As the article states, they've been putting a lot of talent into the NFL, and IMO Pinkel is excellent and underrated coach.

There's something different about getting a second chance to play for the SEC championship. I remember how hard Bama played against Florida in 09 after losing in 08. I think Bama wins on the talent difference, but the Tigers are very capable of pulling the upset.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think Mizzou will get clobbered if they turn the ball over 5 time like they did against Georgia but that's not to happen. I didn't watch that game but I have seen them play Tennessee and Arkansas and I'm pretty impressed with their team. As the article states, they've been putting a lot of talent into the NFL, and IMO Pinkel is excellent and underrated coach.

There's something different about getting a second chance to play for the SEC championship. I remember how hard Bama played against Florida in 09 after losing in 08. I think Bama wins on the talent difference, but the Tigers are very capable of pulling the upset.
mizzou 2014 is not in the same universe as bama 2009 :)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I doubt Mizzou would have beaten Arkansas if Brandon Allen was completely healthy.
Brandon Allen doesnt strike me as this great SEC QB. I think Mizzou hurting him worse didnt help Arky's chances, but Mizzou totally flipped their offense at the start of the 4th quarter, and totally took away Arky's run. I dont think the if Colt hadnt got hurt arguement applies since Allen got really hurt late and Mizzou looked unstoppable on offense in the 4th. I just hope we dont go in the 4th with them in a close game.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
That's what you took from his comment?
yep. the reason we showed up the way we did had more to do with the fact that we were the team we were than it did with getting a "second chance" in the championship game (imo of course). i just dont think the analogy holds. maybe, if mizzou was playing auburn again, but it would still be a stretch as in 2008 and 2009, the seccg was a play in to the bcscg for bama

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
True, but Mizzou can and probably will play with the same passion as Bama 2009 and this isn't their 1st rodeo.
auburn played with a lot of passion in their rodeo saturday.

i have to think that bama may have a little bit to say about the outcome of this game

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.