Blake Sims Appreciation Thread - Season to date

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Blake is on the cusp of having the greatest QB production year for Bama EVER this year in total yards and TD's....

2010 - GMAC 2,987 yrds passing at 70.9%, 20TD's, 5 INT's in 13 games

2012 - AJ 2,933 yrds passing at 67.2%, 30TD's, 3 INT's in 14 games
2013 - AJ 3,063 yrds passing at 67.3%, 28TD's, 7 INT's in 13 games

2014 - Sims 2,988 yrds passing at 63.1%, 24TD's, 7 INT's AND 302 yrds rushing and 6 TD's

3,290 All Purpose Yards and 30 TD's in 12 games SO FAR with 2-3 left to play!!!

He should at least be up for some QB awards IMHO. Just amazing considering at least 50% of us didn't think he could play QB pre-season.

BigHero6 is THE MAN!!!!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
At one point in the season, I just considered Blake Sims as "the guy who gets Coop the ball."

And there is nothing wrong with that...plenty of college QBs have made a good career out of the guys around them being dominant.

That changed in that last two possessions of the LSU game where he was making plays all over the field on difficult throws or by his own effort to extend the play. The way he recomposed himself after 3 picks against Auburn only further validates that he's more than just a distributor.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
He should at least be up for some QB awards IMHO. Just amazing considering at least 50% of us didn't think he could play QB pre-season.

50%? I think it was higher than that and I was one of them. But, kid has had an amazing season and I have been impressed and won over!

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I think a lot of people still aren't sold on him if you can believe that. I had two customers talk to me about it (before the State game) that said they didn't believe in him, and one even said he thought Coker was a better QB. I just smiled and shook my head. I wasn't going to get in an argument over it with a customer. Coker is going to be a good QB, but I was thinking if he was the better QB I believe CNS would play him. Sims legs won us the LSU game, and of course many critical third or forth down runs. Kid is a baller, and I have been impressed with him this season. I wish he had a year or two left.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have been a fan for a long time. He stuck things out and worked on his game and has been rewarded for it. It is like a movie plot and almost seems unreal.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I thought Blake had a decent chance to win the job to start the season, just because of his experience. But, I never imagined that he'd be as good as he is. Aside from his production, which is approaching the best all-time for a single season at Bama, the guy's a winner and a leader. Without him, I think we'd be somewhere around 9-3, give or take a game, and out of the playoff hunt. I'm glad he's on our side.

B

BroadwayJoe777

Blake Sims. What a year this man has had. He has been the proverbial Phoenix if there ever was one!

At the A-Day game, he was lost. The Phoenix died.

The first game of the season, he was the declared starter, but we all remember how "iffy" that was with Jake Coker in the wings. The Phoenix was climbing though.

As the year progresses, Sims looks brilliant running and passing all over the field against Florida. The Phoenix was rising.
Late in the 3rd quarter, Sims injured his shoulder and Bama fans were actually HORRIFIED! The Phoenix was climbing though.

Then, the Ole Miss game. Sims did not lose the game for us, but was very disappointing. The Phoenix was dead again.

Sims played brilliantly again back home against the Aggies. The Phoenix was alive and climbing once again.

The big LSU game comes and by the end of the 4th quarter, the Phoenix was dead again. Then, in the last 44 seconds Blake leads us to the tying score and then the OT win! The Phoenix was climbing once again.

And then Auburn. We were down 33-21 after Blake had thrown his 3rd interception that lead to Auburn scores. If we are honest with ourselves, we know there was a voice inside saying..."Blake must be replaced." Coker starts warming up, and yes the Phoenix was dead. But, Blake wasn't replaced. He came back. He thrived in the pressure of the situation. He stood up mightily against all the misfortune and led us to 34 second half points to etch himself in Alabama Football History. The Phoenix has risen again!

Big props to Lane Kiffin. I think he really helped maximize Blake's skills. From that point, Blake gave us everything he had, which was more than enough! Roll Tide Roll!:BigA:

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I give Blake as good a chance as anyone to be the first team QB on the all conference team. Look at the stats and sort each category. He stays near the top on all.

He's fourth in passing yards (292 behind #1 Dylan Thompson), sixth in completions (41 behind #1 Thompson), sixth in attempts (89 behind #1 Thompson), third in completion percentage (4.8% behind #1 Hutson Mason), first in yards per attempt, first in TD, tied for third in INTs (3 more than #1 Hutson Mason), and first in QB Rating.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
That changed in that last two possessions of the LSU game where he was making plays all over the field on difficult throws or by his own effort to extend the play. The way he recomposed himself after 3 picks against Auburn only further validates that he's more than just a distributor.
I agree that the LSU, MSU, and the AU game have shown his incredible leadership and resilience to be a CLUTCH Playmaker. He's has converted crucial 3rd or 4th down after crucial 3rd or 4th down all season with either his Arm or his Legs.

Sims legs won us the LSU game, and of course many critical third or forth down runs. Kid is a baller, and I have been impressed with him this season. I wish he had a year or two left.
Me too..ME TOO!! I'll have to re-check the stats but I believe he has the highest Comp % in all of CFB this year on 3rd Down. He's going all MVP on people the way Ingram did in 2009.

I have been a fan for a long time. He stuck things out and worked on his game and has been rewarded for it. It is like a movie plot and almost seems unreal.
It really is....lol. I still can't believe some of the clutch runs he has made to get 1st downs in CRUCIAL spots and his Deep Ball is Gorgeous....a throw many thought he couldn't make.

As GMAC says....He's throwing 'Prime Time Dimes'!!!!

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL
Blake has been a real pleasure to watch this year. What he has done during the off season and this season to improve himself is nothing short of amazing and he deserves all the credit in the world. I think Kiffin has been a huge help in calling the right plays and setting up Blake for success along with all the team support he's had. Blake deserves a special place in Alabama football history. Anyone who had tried to predict what has happened would have been called a fool. Thanks to Blake Sims for all his contributions.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Like those who gave up Saturday there were many with doubts about Blake. Not Blake, he knew he could do what it takes to start and win at Alabama. His class and perseverance are inspiring. I will always appreciate what he has meant to the team and us as fans. He is a great example to young men. So proud of and for him!

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I concur ... this has to go down as one of my favorite season just by seeing how his story is unfolding. I know its one game at a time but I hope the story ends with the team winning a national championship.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
As far as I'm concerned, Saban earned his million dollar raise by keeping Blake in the game after his three interceptions. That was a gutsy thing to do, and isn't it just great how it turned out.

All the disrespect many fans directed at Blake during the off-season could have easily turned him off but instead he seems to have let that be motivation to prove them wrong. That's what a true champ would do... Blake has written the book on how to make his fan base proud this season, both on and off the field.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I was listening to the Chuck and Chernoff show on 680 here in Atlanta one day, and they made the point that Coker was on the preseason watch lists for a number of awards and Blake was not - that's how sure everyone was that Blake was not going to be the starter. What he has done is immense. Amari obviously helps, but nearly every time we have needed someone to step up, Blake has done his job. I can't ask any more than that from any player. Blake has come in, started his career as a DB, moved to RB when we were in an injury crisis, and then went to be the backup QB, even when he knew he'd likely be sitting for 3+ years. Several allegedly more talented QBs couldn't deal with that and transferred out.

I understand he is not the best we have ever had, but he might be my favorite. I feel that we may find out a few months down the line that he gutted through an injury this past Saturday, and that would make perfect sense because Blake has as much heart as I have seen from college players.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.