Question: If GT beats FSU, could they possibly squeak in the playoffs...

pyro

Suspended
Nov 9, 2004
Winchester TN
Its something I believe that can happen. If they beat FSU and Wisconsin beats OSU I wonder how much they would jump in rankings. There victory over Georgia was huge for them.

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
11-2 ACC champ over 12-1 Ohio State or 11-1 Big12 *champ? I doubt it. Their FPI is 14.9 and SOR is 89.3 which is pretty weak. It would take Wisconsin winning the B1G and/or Arizona beating Oregon probably.

*no conference championship game

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i think they will beat fsu, but unless there is absolute chaos on saturday, i don't see them having a chance of getting in the playoff

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think Arizona will beat Oregon and Wisconsin will beat OSU so top 4 if FSU should fall in this scenario
1. Bama vs 4. Wisconsin in Nawlins and 2.TCU vs 3. Arizona in Rose
but I dont think FSU will fall

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
i think they will beat fsu, but unless there is absolute chaos on saturday, i don't see them having a chance of getting in the playoff
This. I don't think winning the ACC, even with a win over previously-undefeated FSU, means enough in the eyes of the voters to jump any of the 1-loss teams above them. I just don't think the ACC is very highly regarded in the minds of the commitee (or anybody else, really). Unless things get truly crazy on Saturday, I don't see it.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
This. I don't think winning the ACC, even with a win over previously-undefeated FSU, means enough in the eyes of the voters to jump any of the 1-loss teams above them. I just don't think the ACC is very highly regarded in the minds of the commitee (or anybody else, really). Unless things get truly crazy on Saturday, I don't see it.
this, and while i enjoyed watching tech beat them, it wasn't that impressive of a victory for gt ;)

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
It would take a HUGE shake-up to get them in.

Assuming projections are pretty close to correct, they'll be sitting about 12th going in to the ACCCG. They would need a LOT of help. Here are how things would need to go (imo) for them to have even an outside shot.

First, they need to beat FSU and beat them big. If they can but a BIG win on FSU together, they would likely jump in to the top ten no matter what happens. So that is the first thing they need to do, win and win BIG.

They would need TCU/Baylor/tOSU to lose. That would eliminate the three of them, and leave the Big 12 with KSU as champ and Wisconsin in the B1G, so both other 2-loss teams. They would also need Oregon to lose, but in a close close game. They would need Arizone to look as weak as possible in a loss, so they would fall back towards the rest of the 2-loss pack. They'd also need us to fall to Missouri in a VERY close game. Again, Missouri would gain a bit of traction by beating us...but if they do it in a close game they don't gain near as much traction as if Mizzou were to win handily.

If all that happens you would see a real murky situation.

Arizona would likely jump to #1 as Pac 12 Champ, unless they win because Mariotta was to go down or some other shenanigans. K State would jump to #2 likely as Big 12 Champ (just by current position in the poll). Then you would have to pick between a 10-2 Michigan St, 11-2 B1G champ Wisconsin, 10-2 Mississippi St., 11-2 SEC West champ Alabama, 11-2 SEC Champ Mizzou, 11-2 ACC Champ Ga Tech, a 12-1 ACC runner up in FSU, a 11-2 Pac 12 runner up in Oregon. It would be CFP Armageddon...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I think Wisconsin beats Ohio State. Starting your third string QB in a game this big and trying to stop Gordon will be too much to overcome.

I think K-Sate gets Baylor.

I won't to say Arizona get Oregon but I doubt it.

Tech will beat Rapist and FSU.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I am not sure they would make the playoffs but them beating the criminoles is a real possibility. The thugs keep sneaking by week after week and somebody is going to get them very soon.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
If Tech runs the ball with effective TD scoring drives then I really think they can beat FSU. The way they run their offense eats up mega clock. Keeping Jameis off the field is the best chance they have. Go Jackets!

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
SIAP. Not sure I buy this..
Not impossible, but it would take some serious chaos in the weekend games for that to happen. We would have to also see losses from at least 2 of the following undefeated or 1-loss teams: OSU, FSU, Oregon, TCU, and Baylor.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Lets just win and leave no doubt.

I think if any of the top 4 lose Saturday, they are out. Unless its just a totally disastrous weekend and multiple teams at the top lose.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
If we lose we will not be in the playoffs bank on that. In fact outside of this part of the country that is what people want to happen. You know the sec is not every ones favorite conference.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.