Question: If GT beats FSU, could they possibly squeak in the playoffs...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think atleast OSU will lose. Aside from that Arizona and GT winning is a tossup. Rich Rod has had Oregon's number, but if they put 3 in arow on them I will guarentee Helfrich is on the hot seat next year so common wisdom says Oregon wins close. GT has to keep their foot on the gas if it hopes to beat FSU.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
If we lose we will not be in the playoffs bank on that. In fact outside of this part of the country that is what people want to happen. You know the sec is not every ones favorite conference.
It is highly, highly unlikely. And you are correct that a lot of people would relish the SEC not in the playoffs. What stories they would write about the SEC's demise! But if a lot of the top teams lose it is not an absolute impossibility, particularly if our game is close.

Regarding the original question...Georgia Tech would also need help from a lot of top teams losing even if they beat FSU. A win for GT with wins from the other top 3 still has Alabama, Oregon, and 2 of OSU/Baylor/TCU in the playoffs. Further, even if Oregon loses to Arizona, then Arizona would likely still have a better argument to go than a victorious Georgia Tech.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
My prediction is that neither of these 4 teams will lose this week and that these will be the playoff finalists when the dust settles and the smoke clears.
Yea I agree with this. Anything can certainly happen, but I just don't see a two loss team in the top four. Ohio State will be a big question with a freshman quarterback,but everyone else in the top 4 will win out.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Yes, they could make it in, but it would take some losses.

Let's look at the top teams right now:
Alabama
Oregon
FSU

Those three teams are in if they win. The top 2 loss team at this moment might still be Miss. State, but they can't get any more bonus points, so they are in danger of being jumped by other 2 loss teams.

Who else is left? Well, you have the one loss teams, Ohio State, Baylor, and TCU.

So, really it's 6 teams that are in it right now. However, they all have upcoming games and only TCU has an easy game. Ohio State, Baylor, Oregon, FSU, and Alabama all play tough competition. There's no way they all win. If three of those teams lose, a 2 loss team could find themselves in the playoff. Interestingly enough, if Alabama is one of those three, I think they become the top 2 loss team due to their insane SoS. The weird part, and the part that I'm not sure about is if GT jumps FSU if they beat them. It's possible, but if not it then creates the situation in which 4 of those teams probably have to lose....

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yes, they could make it in, but it would take some losses.

Let's look at the top teams right now:
Alabama
Oregon
FSU

Those three teams are in if they win. The top 2 loss team at this moment might still be Miss. State, but they can't get any more bonus points, so they are in danger of being jumped by other 2 loss teams.

Who else is left? Well, you have the one loss teams, Ohio State, Baylor, and TCU.

So, really it's 6 teams that are in it right now. However, they all have upcoming games and only TCU has an easy game. Ohio State, Baylor, Oregon, FSU, and Alabama all play tough competition. There's no way they all win. If three of those teams lose, a 2 loss team could find themselves in the playoff. Interestingly enough, if Alabama is one of those three, I think they become the top 2 loss team due to their insane SoS. The weird part, and the part that I'm not sure about is if GT jumps FSU if they beat them. It's possible, but if not it then creates the situation in which 4 of those teams probably have to lose....
The best two loss team is MSU, but wisconsin and Arizona would be the only two with a chance to sneak in with two losses. If Oregon, the Big 12 dual champions, or FSU lose this week then they are all gone. If that chaos happens then FSU would have a strong case for 4th place if they should get stung by Georgia Wreck

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.