boogers D-coordinator...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Re: boogers D-coordnator

I dont think gus and Boom's ego can be on the same sideline. I really think they will probably get Pelini when Boom says no. Pelini is an upgrade.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

Texas' D did not play terribly in that NC game.
I guess all things are relative, but you have to consider that we had a QB that could not even throw the ball because of a broken rib. We were totally one dimensional and their number 1 ranked rushing defense could not stop Mark and Trent. When you score 30 points on what is supposed to be a very good defense with only 58 yards passing, you can't call that good, IMO.

That being said, I think Muschamp is a very good coordinator, but he just doesn't strike fear in me as being unstoppable. I think Malzahn's scheme will always result in a defense that wears down as the year goes along. People seem to forget that AU's defense looked pretty dang good earlier this year, but seemed to flame out down the stretch. That has happened pretty much every year that Gus has been at AU as OC and HC. AU's defense in the Bowl games usually look much better than they did late in season because I think a month of rest helps them get their legs back under them.

In fact, I'd argue that it actually happened to us a little bit down the stretch under Kiffin's faster paced offense. We gave up a lot of yards against MSU and AU this year and actually struggled some with Western Carolina, and that is not typical for us. Even last year, we held AU to over 100 yards less (less than 400 yards of total offense) than they had put in their last 5 or 6 games prior to that. I just hope we can get by Missouri and let our guys get rested up for the playoffs.

Last edited:

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014

I keep hearing and reading about GMs "high school" and "mickey mouse" offense. That sort of comment is puzzling. The same offense has run up over 1,000 yards and 80 points on our defense in the last two games.
If I went into the ring with George Foreman and hired a screaming clown to run around the ring, I might get some good hits on him. That wouldn't change the fact that my strategy was juvenille.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

We were competitive in every game except Georgia, though. A loss is a loss, but it's not like we were getting blown out week in and week out.

Malzahn's O with a servicible D would be awesome.
thing is, that's not all that possible due to the exposure that offense pushes on the defense. There is a balance that's needed from all phases of the game. Any hc that puts too much emphasis on only one side of the ball will have trouble maintaining long term success. The reason is that sooner or later that side you put all your work into will have a bad game and need the other side to carry the team.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian

South Carolina most likely for Boom. AU will most likely get the FSU DC
Mack, if it shakes out like that, it confirms what a barner buddy of mine said when I asked about Boom to University of Auburn. Mentioned that there were some hard feelings at the time he left, though he didn't give names or any other details.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
boogers D-coordnator

Mack, if it shakes out like that, it confirms what a barner buddy of mine said when I asked about Boom to University of Auburn. Mentioned that there were some hard feelings at the time he left, though he didn't give names or any other details.
Bridges were indeed burned. But make no mistake, he is their top priority. They're going after him aggressively. It's really up to him.

But just from a career standpoint, he can go to USCe and be assistant HC/Coach in Waiting...AU though? What's in it for HIM?

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian

That might work for him. Coach Superior said in the latest interview that 2-3 years and he's retiring, if one can put stock in what he says.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

I guess all things are relative, but you have to consider that we had a QB that could not even throw the ball because of a broken rib. We were totally one dimensional and their number 1 ranked rushing defense could not stop Mark and Trent. When you score 30 points on what is supposed to be a very good defense with only 58 yards passing, you can't call that good, IMO.

That being said, I think Muschamp is a very good coordinator, but he just doesn't strike fear in me as being unstoppable. I think Malzahn's scheme will always result in a defense that wears down as the year goes along. People seem to forget that AU's defense looked pretty dang good earlier this year, but seemed to flame out down the stretch. That has happened pretty much every year that Gus has been at AU as OC and HC. AU's defense in the Bowl games usually look much better than they did late in season because I think a month of rest helps them get their legs back under them.

In fact, I'd argue that it actually happened to us a little bit down the stretch under Kiffin's faster paced offense. We gave up a lot of yards against MSU and AU this year and actually struggled some with Western Carolina, and that is not typical for us. Even last year, we held AU to over 100 yards less (less than 400 yards of total offense) than they had put in their last 5 or 6 games prior to that. I just hope we can get by Missouri and let our guys get rested up for the playoffs.
I think you will. I thinks Bama matches up well against Mizzou.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

It is on the FSU board that coach Boom is going to Florida State. Announcement will be made after the GT game. :confused: I am dead serious .

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

It is on the FSU board that coach Boom is going to Florida State. Announcement will be made after the GT game. :confused: I am dead serious .
That would actually make more sense than going to AU, IMO. He and Jimbo have worked together under Saban, and Jimbo's offense is more DC friendly than Malzahn's. The talent at FSU ain't bad either!

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006

If Muschamp goes to USCe and turns that D into a power, he could very well set himself up to replace Spurrier when he decides to step down. He won't have that opportunity at AU or A&M.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.