Which Underclassmen do you Expect to Declare for the Draft?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Cooper and Collins are gone. Not sure why everyone thinks Yeldon is a lock to leave. With the devaluation of running backs in the NFL he's a 3rd rounder at best, but more likely 4th or 5th
Agree on Cooper and Collins.

I think you're a little harsh on Yeldon, but not a whole lot. Still, I think he goes this year. Main reason is that staying doesn't present a ton of upside, yet has a fair amount of risk.

If he stays, he might get 1,200 yards...which, given the NFL's current valuation of running backs, might elevate him into the second round. Maybe. Iffity, iffity, if.

And that assumes he doesn't shred a knee or get a bad turf toe. Keep in mind, he is a bit injury-prone.

If he goes now, he eliminates the injury factor, and associated downside. Meanwhile, he makes pro money. Might not be 1st round money. But sure beats what he'd make in any other job.

Bird in the hand. Whatever he decides, I thank him for all he's done for the University, and all the thrills I've had watching him do what he does best.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm real surprised that we haven't heard CNS announcing players leaving for NFL to this date. My guess is that He's using the Ohio Game to see which players can benefit from it based on the evaluation. The underclassmen can benefit from this such as Reed, Pettaway, Cooper, Collins... and seniors, Sherpard, Aries, White.. If they play well in the next two games, it could change the draft order just like that. So My guess is that we probably will hear from them after Ohio Game.
Why would he openly talk about that? I can't recall a year when he has talked about particular players leaving early before the players announce their decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
That's not what I'm talking about. In the past, he has set time and date to announce which players are leaving for NFL........... I'm saying He hasn't announced that.. and I was wondering if he was waiting until after Ohio Game or Championship... He may have already heard back from the advisory board and They may have made decisions but is waiting til after the game to announce or something.
Why would he openly talk about that? I can't recall a year when he has talked about particular players leaving early before the players announce their decision.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
It's gonna be nice to only lose 2 or 3 underclassmen to the NFL this year. Next year's team is going to be loaded. Seems like that is a trend around here now..
No doubt. And now here I am, really concerned that we don't have a returning starter at QB. Would be sweet if we did.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
No doubt. And now here I am,illy concerned that we don't have a returning starter at QB. Would be sweet if we did.

Yes, we will need a few of our unproven guys to step up on the offensive side of the ball next year, but don't forget that if Blake leads us to two more wins and a championship that would be three straight times that a first year starter for us has won a national title- McElroy-2009, McCarron-2011, and hopefully Sims 2014. Maybe another new starter can lead us to a championship next year. Our defense should certainly be championship level. Our punter should be all-America level. Our kicker will hopefully regain his form once he has healed. Coaching will be strong. We have a lot of key ingredients for another run next year if guys work hard and play as a team. Right now, though, I just want to whip Ohio St.

herri026

2nd Team
Apr 17, 2008
Birmingham
Lite draft this year, depending on who comes out this year, I could see as many as 4 Dlinemen going in the first 3 rounds next year. Why wouldn't a HS safety choose Bama over any other school. Seems every starting safety over the last 6 years plays in the league. I can't think of one that doesn't. Lester, Barron , Ha Ha , Vinnie, Collins(probable)who am I forgetting .

I guess Woodall isn't playing in the NFL, but he is playing pro baseball
Rashad Johnson as well.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
That's not what I'm talking about. In the past, he has set time and date to announce which players are leaving for NFL........... I'm saying He hasn't announced that.. and I was wondering if he was waiting until after Ohio Game or Championship... He may have already heard back from the advisory board and They may have made decisions but is waiting til after the game to announce or something.
Again, he's never made those announcements until season's end. Otherwise, the players would be constantly asked "what are you announcing on January ___?"

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Yeldon not being drafted is an absurd line of thinking. I do however honestly think he could raise his stock by playing his senior season.

I could see him only being in the 3rd-4th rounds right now but if he came back and had a healthy showcase SR season where he rushed for 1,500+ yrds and 15-20 TD's he could ge into the 1st-2nd round mix.

There is risk financially either way. I think he'll declare and depending on who drafts him he could play great. He probably just won't get the big $$ until his 2nd contract though.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.