Which Underclassmen do you Expect to Declare for the Draft?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
regarding CJ, I agree that he has regressed quite a bit this year. but his last IB appearance made me proud!
his KO returns were solid throughout the game. he was running with authority and conviction. his blocking has always been very good on the perimeters and it showed up again in the game. last but not least, his acrobatic catch in auburn's redzone kept one of our comeback TDs alive. thank you Christian for your contributions. :biga2:
A lot of Christian's "off year" has been so many designated routes to the outside receivers.
We simply haven't called on the slot receivers a lot this year.
I think he'll still be a mid to late round pick though because of his versatility.
A lot will depend on his actual 40 time.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Collins will be the first Safety off the board. There is not a better Safety in college football than him. TJ will go and I think he will have a better pro career even than he did in college and that's saying a lot because he has been great. If Cyrus jumps he won't make it past the 2nd round people keep thinking about what happened last year. This year he has been flat out good. Every catch made against him have been spectacular catches. He is so under appreciated its crazy. There is no such thing as a corner who never gets beat. I hope he stays. I think next year he no one would probably want to throw his way. Ragland could be a 1st rounder but I hope like CJ he wants to come back and enjoy being the leader. CJ's decision looks pretty good right now considering he may be rookie of the year and headed to the pro bowl.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Ragland has to play lights out this weekend and in playoff and He could go early... This goes for Cyrus Jones.. I don't think Cyrus will leave.. he may be projected 4th or 5 round... and with solid performance next year.. could go in 2nd or 3rd.. but the thing is... what if he gets burned next year.. like slyve did ya know? I just wonder if DJ Pettway might go?
Collins will be the first Safety off the board. There is not a better Safety in college football than him. TJ will go and I think he will have a better pro career even than he did in college and that's saying a lot because he has been great. If Cyrus jumps he won't make it past the 2nd round people keep thinking about what happened last year. This year he has been flat out good. Every catch made against him have been spectacular catches. He is so under appreciated its crazy. There is no such thing as a corner who never gets beat. I hope he stays. I think next year he no one would probably want to throw his way. Ragland could be a 1st rounder but I hope like CJ he wants to come back and enjoy being the leader. CJ's decision looks pretty good right now considering he may be rookie of the year and headed to the pro bowl.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I think it is Cooper, Collins, Yeldon. All three should go with the thanks of a grateful university. My guess is there will be one or two more "surprises".

I try to keep in mind that sometimes athletes leave school and try to latch on in the NFL for reasons that don't have much to do with whether another year in college would help their draft position -- sometimes it is their family situation, sometimes it is class related, sometimes a combination of a lot of factors.

I'm not close enough to the program to know about individual cases, but I won't be shocked by two more.

jenk56

1st Team
Sep 5, 2012
Great timing for this question...I see some are surprised to hear Reed name mentioned in this thread but this kid has been playing lights out the second half of the year. And I feel that we have more to worry about regarding him leaving for the NFL than we realize. He passes the eye test and he has a terrific motor. I think his projected grade will be third round or better...something to watch.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Wow, Look at the senior class for this year: Truly something special. Almost all of those guys are major reason why we're in SEC Championship. I took a look at the senior class roster and something just hit me in the head... has anyone taken a look at the roster for next year? I'm not counting next year class, but take a look at this:

Key Players returning back next year:
Jake Coker
Malcolm Faciane
Ty Flournoy-Smith
Domerick Jackson
Cyrus Jones
Ryan Kelly
Darren Lake
Dillon Lee
Geno Smith
Bradley Sylve
Jabriel Washington
Jarran Reed (50/50)
Reggie Ragland
Denzel Devall
Jonathan Allen
Ryan Anderson
Dakota Ball
Chris Black
Raheem Falkins
Reuben Foster
Brandon Greene
Adam Griffith
Derrick Henry
Grant Hill
OJ Howard
Eddie Jackson
Dee Liner
A'Shawn Robinson
Alphonse Taylor
Dalvin Tomlinson
Tim Williams

Then we have that freshman Class Soon to be sophomore class.. Bozeman, Tony Brown, Josh Casher, Da'Shawn hand and Rashaan Evans.... etc...
We're going to be very good next year. We're so deep on both sides of the ball... Oh lord... Kiffin is going to have lot to play with on offense... Shoot, we'll see different offense next year under Coker... If Kirby Stays.. I wonder if he's going to retool his defense ?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
There are lot of people that don't really pay attention to what each player does on the field. The Front DL for Bama has done tremedous job this year, in affecting QBs and RBs. Jones is well known for his blocking and his game clutching.. White as well. Those are valauble in NFL. If you think suprises is coming, Think of Devuall or someone transferring..
Great timing for this question...I see some are surprised to hear Reed name mentioned in this thread but this kid has been playing lights out the second half of the year. And I feel that we have more to worry about regarding him leaving for the NFL than we realize. He passes the eye test and he has a terrific motor. I think his projected grade will be third round or better...something to watch.

chuaner

Scout Team
Aug 26, 2008
honestly, all underclass men have a chance in first two days might and should go.
with the current labor contract in NFL, 1st and 3rd round does not differ that much. This discourages the under class men to stay for one more year.

Starting with most likely to least likely

Amari Cooper
TJ Yeldon
Landon Collins
Reggie Ragland
Jarran Reed

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
yeldon is probably middle round dp, but the bigger issue is lifespan of an nfl rb, if they can get drafted as a junior they should go. One less year of wear and tear for no pay.
Yep. Yeldon has been awesome for us, but with new rookie contracts being relatively low to recent years and the shorter career prospects, TJ should go pro. He's done well for us and he probably isn't a first rounder since RBs are also devalued in the draft, but he needs to get the clock ticking for his second contract.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
for sure, Collins, yeldon, cooper early, seniors none in first three rounds. depriest probably 4th round. no way cyrus jones in any round.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
for sure, Collins, yeldon, cooper early, seniors none in first three rounds. depriest probably 4th round. no way cyrus jones in any round.
believe it or not, but Arie K might have a shot at a 2-3 round pick. Some reviews have him as the #2 or #3 OG. He's played much, much better in 2014 that 2013.

Honestly same for Cyrus Jones, although I don't think he leaves early unless there is a family or grade situation we don't know about. He wasn't that great in 13, but has been our best CB this year and it's not even close. With all the talent on the roster and competition going on at one CB slot, there was never any mention of CJ potentially getting bumped. This year he's won way more times than not when the ball comes his way, and he's been targeted much less than any other DB because he's almost always right on top of his man, or has done a good job of disrupting the route and timing.

anyway, this could be a 'down' year for us in the draft - we have a lot of really solid players but not that many that are true top-shelf talent that are draft eligible. Some will move up with combine performances, but still not be in the top rounds. Think we'll see that change next year though.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
It's gonna be nice to only lose 2 or 3 underclassmen to the NFL this year. Next year's team is going to be loaded. Seems like that is a trend around here now..

narddogg81

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 18, 2012
arie kouandjio is currently rated the 2nd best guard in the draft and a 2nd round draft pick

Tidefan1

Scout Team
Aug 21, 2013
Cooper and Collins are gone. Not sure why everyone thinks Yeldon is a lock to leave. With the devaluation of running backs in the NFL he's a 3rd rounder at best, but more likely 4th or 5th

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Because TJ has done so much since he came here on Campus. He's not going to be around in 4th or 5th round... He'll be picked pu sometime in second-third round at best. No way he's available in 4th or 5th round... I don't see that one happen.. Everyone keeps talking about Devalued RBs.. but TJ can block.. Catch and run... There are ton of teams out there that needs a RB... Yeldon is not coming back next year. It doesn't do him any good if he stays.

Cooper and Collins are gone. Not sure why everyone thinks Yeldon is a lock to leave. With the devaluation of running backs in the NFL he's a 3rd rounder at best, but more likely 4th or 5th

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I'm with most in that Coop, Yeldon, and Collins are gone. I think that is it honestly. Ragland is just not ready yet to even test the waters. He is good, but not NFL good yet. Not enough experience I think for the NFL.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm real surprised that we haven't heard CNS announcing players leaving for NFL to this date. My guess is that He's using the Ohio Game to see which players can benefit from it based on the evaluation. The underclassmen can benefit from this such as Reed, Pettaway, Cooper, Collins... and seniors, Sherpard, Aries, White.. If they play well in the next two games, it could change the draft order just like that. So My guess is that we probably will hear from them after Ohio Game.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Lite draft this year, depending on who comes out this year, I could see as many as 4 Dlinemen going in the first 3 rounds next year. Why wouldn't a HS safety choose Bama over any other school. Seems every starting safety over the last 6 years plays in the league. I can't think of one that doesn't. Lester, Barron , Ha Ha , Vinnie, Collins(probable)who am I forgetting .

I guess Woodall isn't playing in the NFL, but he is playing pro baseball

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.