Amari's recruiting ranking in retrospect is kind of funny.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL

not that he was ranked grossly low. 6 isn't that far from 1. but besides DGB the guys ahead of him didnt even scratch the surface of how good he is.

Last edited:

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I told my son and daughter after watching Amari play in the Under Armour Allstar game, that remember the name Amari Cooper, he will be a household name across the country in a few years! My daughters last name is Cooper from marriage and when she found out her unborn baby was a boy about 2 years ago, it just seemed natural to name him Nicholas Lane Cooper and that was before Lane Kiffin's hiring! ;)

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
It's not an athlete's ranking coming out of high school that's important. It's the coach and what can and is done with the athlete that makes all the difference.
We've seen a lot of coaches do more with less talent, just as we've seen coaches do much less with, and completely waste, very talented athletes.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
I saw him play in the All Star Game in St Pete. You just knew he was going to be a Star.

There is a lesson here for recruits, he committed Early, never wavered, did not do the 7 hats on a table like ESPN wanted, he got very little Press THEN. Look at him now. It's not just raw talent, this kid can be coached, that is why he will be a Star again in the NFL!

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
seems to me recruiting rankings don't take into effect how hard a kid is willing to work and their heart.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
IIRC, he would have been a 5 star and probably the #1 or #2 overall receiver but he had a broken ankle (I think) his senior year and didn't play his senior year. Some schools backed off and I think he picked Bama over Miami(FL)..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The only ones in front of Coop that haven't done much of anything on the field are Thomas Johnson and Cayleb Jones. DGB was doing well until his arrest. Stefon Diggs has done well at Maryland but has dealt with injuries. Nelson Agholor will be one of the top WRs drafted this year if he leaves early.

Last edited:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
The only ones in front of Coop that haven't done much of anything on the field are Thomas Jefferson and Cayleb Jones. DGB was doing well until his arrest. Stefon Diggs has done well at Maryland but has dealt with injuries. Nelson Agholor will be one of the top WRs drafted this year if he leaves early.
Thomas Jefferson committed to Virginia.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm still waiting for that number 8 guy to get a legitimate opportunity. I believe he can be a real difference maker.
Amazing that he was ahead of Coop prior to his injury and ended up getting lost in the shuffle last year when he returned.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
Amazing that he was ahead of Coop prior to his injury and ended up getting lost in the shuffle last year when he returned.
It is. Coop is the best WR in the country, best in UA history and will more than likely be invited to NYC for the Heisman Ceremony.

I can only image what the record books would look like had Coop not been injured last year.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
I'm still waiting for that number 8 guy to get a legitimate opportunity. I believe he can be a real difference maker.
As am I. Chris is one of my favorites and I am really hoping he can make up for some of what we lose in Amari next year.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Funny thing is if Chris hadn't got hurt... it hink it would've been him on the field with Cooper this year. I think Chris has done well this year.. getting playing time as much as he can... He knows he will be in the rotation next year. Think about it for a minute.. Falkins, Sims, Black, (Foster?) and Kief .... Dangerous...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
DGB imploded his own Mizzou career but will get another shot at OU next year. He was promising in 2013.

Nelson Agholor is having a similar season to Amari Cooper. Similar in that he has about 300 less yards on 4 less receptions. :D

Stefon Diggs has declined since his great freshman campaign.

mooblybama

Scout Team
May 20, 2004
Birmingham, AL
Funny thing is if Chris hadn't got hurt... it hink it would've been him on the field with Cooper this year. I think Chris has done well this year.. getting playing time as much as he can... He knows he will be in the rotation next year. Think about it for a minute.. Falkins, Sims, Black, (Foster?) and Kief .... Dangerous...
ArDarious Stewart... don't forget the name...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.