One This Day 25 Years Ago Was the First Iron Bowl in Auburn

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
How many remember this game? Reggie Slack comes out on fire and destroys our National Championship hopes. Easily the worst loss for me as a Bama fan! On a positive note
was Keith McCants chasing down the fastest AU receiver after the catch 30 yards down field.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
How many remember this game? Reggie Slack comes out on fire and destroys our National Championship hopes. Easily the worst loss for me as a Bama fan! On a positive note
was Keith McCants chasing down the fastest AU receiver after the catch 30 yards down field.
I remember well Snake. Very disappointing loss but the atmosphere we walked into could not have been worse. They were ready for us. I also remember McCants running down the Barner receiver and thought he would be a HOF NFL player with his size and speed.

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
I remember hearing reports that during pregame Dye had a POW give the game time speech while Curry played a Whitney Houston tape. With Homer Smith's offense, we should have run away with that game!

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
I remember it well. But it was not the most heartbreaking loss for me by a long shot.

The worst for me was the 1973 loss to Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Nothing has changed. Barn had 12 men on the field on their first TD. You could have thrown a blanket over the 5 backs. Ref couldn't have missed it. Just ignored it.

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
What killed me was we had the best offense talent and offense coach coming into the game, so I had no doubt we would win. Gary Hollinsworth, Kevin Turner, Lamonde Russell, can't remember the receivers, but I know we had some studs, plus the great Homer Smith calling plays. 10-0 and number 2 in the nation!

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Yeah, I remember. I was serving our country on hostile shores. I remember it well . Hand to hand combat with bronze skinned wahine in the sands of the North shore of Oahu. Man it was rough, think I got a combat ribbon out of it.

Last edited:
B

BroadwayJoe777

I loved Homer Smith until Gene Stallings emasculated him.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Nothing has changed. Barn had 12 men on the field on their first TD. You could have thrown a blanket over the 5 backs. Ref couldn't have missed it. Just ignored it.
Yes, they had 12 men on the field on the first drive of the game for one play. From the one-yard line.

There are calls worth mentioning (Preston Gothard?). This isn't one of them as it had nothing to do with the outcome of the game at all.

scoretide

Suspended
Nov 26, 2010
Boaz, Alabama
I am real good friends with alot high school & college coach's due to my work. I am friends with coach ozmit at Glencoe And he has told me some stories about that game. I never knew this but The team did not arrive to the stadium until about 30 minutes before kickoff. And curry could not motivate a .... ant . The funny thing was about dad's putting their kids on their shoulders to look at the players in the buses and shoot them bird's & holler obscenities.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.