Remember how conference champs don't matter in the CFP?

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
It's simply 'the four best teams'?

Page 11 from the CFP media guide

No way two SEC, or any other conference, teams get in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDB1981

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 29, 2010
Nectar, al
What if FSU and tOSU loose, TCU and Baylor win and Big12 names them as co-champions. Then CFP committe puts Baylor and TCU in.
I won't like it, but could happen

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I don't understand what this actual source is. I'm not trying to be combative, but it's important in that if that's 100% legit, it goes against everything I've been led to believe about the committee.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
The Big 12 wussing out on their own "one true champion" slogan and making up the rules as they go along is seriously the biggest load of crap. If i was a Baylor fan, I would lose my mind

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I don't understand what this actual source is. I'm not trying to be combative, but it's important in that if that's 100% legit, it goes against everything I've been led to believe about the committee.
it says page 11 from the College Football Playoff media guide in the post...

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
The top 5 in CFP is. 1.SEC. 2.PAC12. 3. BIG12. 4. ACC. 5.B1G. All power 5 conferences are represented, all 5 are ranked in perceived strength of conference. Coincidence?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I still believe if every team ranked 1-6 wins this weekend TCU and Baylor will be on the outside looking in and complaining about tOSU jumping both of them. At that point who really cares? If any or all of teams ranked 1-6 lose then it will be mayhem and again who cares.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
cfb.jpg

When circumstances at the margins.......
That's the key paragraph, IMHO. Dunno why I can't make that appear in my post.

I think what the committee is saying is that they don't see TCU and Baylor as comparable--which would require a head to head consideration. Instead, they see TCU as clearly better than Baylor and therefore they are not obligated to use head-to-head as a tie breaker.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

Ok , I like the part about head to head competition. - Baylor says hello
Agreed. According to this write-up, there will be more reasons to rank Baylor higher than TCU if Baylor wins this weekend:

(1) "the regular season must be preserved" - well, in the regular season, Baylor proved it is better than TCU by beating TCU on the field;
(2) "championships won on the field" - regardless of the Big 12's "co-champions" felgercarb, everyone knows that Baylor will be the one true conference champion if they win this weekend;
(3) "particularly at the margins where teams that have won head-to-head competition and championships are sometimes ranked behind non-champions" - assuming Baylor wins this weekend, wouldn't Baylor be the poster child for this preeminent value of the committee?

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
That reads like a politician wrote it in response to Alabama being selected over Oklahoma State in 2011.

There is a political bent to this committee that worries me greatly. I'm happy that Alabama is in a position this year to win and be in. But that's all I'm happy about when it comes to this new playoff.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
They are a factor for everyone but the BIG12.

IMO, TCU shouldn't even be in the top 4, having them #3 is downright ridiculous.

Also, if conference champs are going to be a huge factor then a conference championship game should be required and, teams that don't play in a conference should never even be considered (talking to you Notre Dumb).

Last edited:

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I doubt the SEC champion will get the conference champion consideration if that champion is Missouri. That does not mean that I believe the committee is conspiratorial.

Head to head hast to trump everything to have any semblance of integrity, but it gets really hard when there are two or three teams that have comparable schedules.

The way I would vote if I were on the committee would anger someone too. It would be based on who I thought could beat the most teams that are viable selections. I think that is really what they are trying to do, and it is bound to rub someone wrong. I think most on the committee believe TCU would beat Baylor if they faced again, and I guess I do to.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think the Big XII will ramp up efforts to get two more teams so they can have a championship game.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.