Link: Barn has offered Muschamp (update: CWM has accepted)

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
The Tigers have made the first move in their search for a new defensive coordinator.

Former Florida head coach Will Muschamp has been offered the job and is considering the opportunity, AuburnSports.com has learned. The one-time Auburn assistant coached the Gators during their loss at Florida State last weekend and held firm on plans to spend some time clearing his head before considering his next move.

https://auburn.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1711364

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Re: Barn has offered Muschamp

If we believe WM is a good DC, we don't won't him to take it.

Not sure if it's even possible to merge Gus' offensive philosophy with a good defensive scheme, but I'd prefer WM not try it at the Barn.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Muschamp left Auburn over some rather upsetting stuff in 2006. Depending on which story you believe, he either:

a) got lied to about getting extra tickets to the bowl game that year
b) wanted a guaranteed contract and the fine print permitted Auburn to back out of this so-called "guarantee" at any time.

Why would anyone go back to such a scenario, esp when the AD is the same guy who ticked you off in the first place? It's not like Muschamp is going to have any shortage of offers. I suspect he wanted the Barn offer first to set the basement.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Muschamp left Auburn over some rather upsetting stuff in 2006. Depending on which story you believe, he either:

a) got lied to about getting extra tickets to the bowl game that year
b) wanted a guaranteed contract and the fine print permitted Auburn to back out of this so-called "guarantee" at any time.

Why would anyone go back to such a scenario, esp when the AD is the same guy who ticked you off in the first place? It's not like Muschamp is going to have any shortage of offers. I suspect he wanted the Barn offer first to set the basement.
A Barner told me the rumor was he was invited to Jay Jacobs house for Thanksgiving and he didn't like Mrs. Jacobs cooking. No joke.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Even with Muschamp, their team as a whole will be taking a big step back next year. They are losing NM, Coates, Duke, CAP and Corey Grant. That's just off the top of my head..

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Keep your eyes on potential job openings this week..I'm hearing Mark Richt name coming up, and that makes me wonder if He's really thinking about leaving Georgia.. and if he does, Will Kirby Smart jump on it? If I was Will, I would wait a week to see what happens... There will be plenty of suprises between now and this weekend. In fact, Don't even be suprised to see Will back at florida as DC... UNLIKELY! But hey...

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA

If I were seriously considering this job, I would have a serious discussion with the outgoing DC Ellis Johnson to find out his "thoughts" on the situation there. Did he feel handcuffed? What was his relationship with Malzahn? Did he get thrown under the bus or treated badly by management? I'd also have a sit-down with Malzahn to get his side of the story and find out what he wants from a DC that Johnson couldn't/didn't provide. If he gets satisfactory answers, it would be worth exploring further. But he may dig deep and find a situation at Auburn that is not good for any DC right now.

Roll Tide 00

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007

I respect Muschamp's coaching abilities so my preference would be that he coaches somewhere outside the SEC.
If i was him i would take a head coaching job at a smaller school similar to McElwain to build his reputation back up.Going back to be a DC somewhere just seems like a backwards career move imo.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Keep your eyes on potential job openings this week..I'm hearing Mark Richt name coming up, and that makes me wonder if He's really thinking about leaving Georgia.. and if he does, Will Kirby Smart jump on it? If I was Will, I would wait a week to see what happens... There will be plenty of suprises between now and this weekend. In fact, Don't even be suprised to see Will back at florida as DC... UNLIKELY! But hey...
He's not going back to UF as the DC. 0% change of that happening for a multitude of reasons..

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Yeah I know... I was just saying HEY..... *shrug* But If Will spoke to Saban recently, then who knows... I wish I can hear his phone conversations...with several teams.. :)
He's not going back to UF as the DC. 0% change of that happening for a multitude of reasons..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

If I was Muschamp I would go somewhere that runs a pro style offense. It would be a lot easier to have a very good/dominant defense in that situation. Muschamp is still highly regarded as a DC. That probably wouldn't be the case if he went to AU as the DC. It's to hard to have a good defense with the way Gus runs his offense..

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

If I'm him, I'm getting the "heck" out of the SEC.....and moving to rebuild my reputation in a no-lose situation......

I think he should take over at Colorado State -- ;)

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Yeah I know... I was just saying HEY..... *shrug* But If Will spoke to Saban recently, then who knows... I wish I can hear his phone conversations...with several teams.. :)
You were just saying what? I'm not trying to call you out but it's just borderline ridiculous to suggest that there is any chance Muschamp would go back to UF as the DC..

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006

I'd want to look hard at A & M. All that Texas money and recruiting territory would matter to me. I think the Ags could, under the right circumstances, become a legit SEC heavyweight.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

Muschamp back at UF as DC - no way.

Also, where are you hearing Richt's name come up (outside of angry UGA fans)?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.