Link: Barn has offered Muschamp (update: CWM has accepted)

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Re: Barn has offered Muschamp (update: supposedly has accepted)

Will somebody get the news to Coach Saban to go ahead and FedEx the keys the athletic facilities to Auburn when the season is over? From the looks of my Facebook timeline this morning, we can go ahead and inscribe their name on the National Title trophy for the next 5 years. Oh well, it's been a good run....
LOL!

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

I know it's in blue, but the thing that strikes me about Barners since they've had some recent success on the national scene is they seem to believe that winning a national championship is done by a single hire or getting/paying for a single recruit.

Their most significant accomplishments can be centered around landing (if you can call it that) Scam Newton and luring Gus back.

So far (and I admit the rest of the story is still to be written) their two great seasons could be described as a "flash in the pan" both times (2010 and 2013).

After Auburn's unpredictable, magical (lucky) run at the BCSNC last year, I predicted this year they'd struggle for one reason: they didn't get to the NC game the way most teams do...build on two or three years of increasingly excellent play.

When something happens fast or falls in your lap you generally don't appreciate it near as much and it won't be as easy to maintain it. It's like the person who has never made much money winning the lottery. It's great for a while but then they end up miserable and broke because they don't know how to manage success.

So this year Auburn falls back to their normal 8-9 win season and once again Bama controls the state and nation so what do Auburn fans think is the answer: Go hire one person to fix everything.
Auburn is kind of like the episode from Seinfeld where, every day at the office where Elaine works, someone is bringing in a cake (or two) to celebrate something, from a birthday to work anniversary to an engagement all the way to someone "coming back to work because they didn't feel good the day before". Could you imagine working in place where "Bob figured out how to open Excel. Way to go Bob!!!!" or "Mary just sent her first email! Congrats! War **** Outlook!" ?

It is because, as you said, everything there is the "next big thing".

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Wow. What great news for Bama. Muschamp had far better defensive talent at Florida and regularly gave up tons of yards and points to Bama. Geez. No matter how hard the barn tries to get a leg up on Alabama, their internal politics and posturing by all the BOT power hungry idiots blinds them to the real way to do it. It's called hard work Auburn - there are no short cuts to sustainable success.
I went on my little rant before I read your post, but the bolded statement is so true. The one thing Bama has done the last 8 years is work their butt off. Auburn seems to think it's done by luck, coaching hires or major offensive or defensive coaching philosophies.

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL

Here is the difference in the two fanbases: If a good hire is made at Bama, the fans talk about how good it is for Bama. If a good hire is made at Aubarn, the fans talk about they somehow one-upped Bama. Classic little-brother syndrome.

With all respect, we didn't know what we were getting with Kiffin, and a sizable segment of this board was either opposed or highly skeptical. Muschamp was considered one of the brightest stars in coaching when Foley hired him, and we can cherry pick individual games all we want, but Muschamp has proven he can build and run a defense.

If I were the Agrarians, the biggest concern I'd have is with a guy coming back to his old job. Doesn't usually work out in real life. Can't imagine it will be easy in football either.
I knew exactly what we were getting. I remember those teams from USC. They were fantastic offensively. The restrictions killed Kiffin at USC as head coach.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

I knew exactly what we were getting. I remember those teams from USC. They were fantastic offensively. The restrictions killed Kiffin at USC as head coach.
The restrictions definitely didn't help, but CLK himself played a significant role in his failure as a head coach. If he thinks that the restrictions were the only issue, he's going to have problems next time he gets a shot, too. Hopefully, he's learning how to better handle things and people other than players.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Yeah we pretty much knew that if kiffin could be away from the limelight and call his offense we would be rolling. I think all the doubt for some people came from his attitude and how we were going to be pass heavy.

Yeah we pretty much knew that if kiffin could be away from the limelight and call his offense we would be rolling. I think all the doubt for some people came from his attitude and how we were going to be pass heavy.
Exactly, but thing is Saban has been right there to calm all that down when needed. We are still as balanced as ever!

I miss football. BIG TIME FOOTBALL!

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
One thing for sure, it will be pure entertainment to watch Gus rant like an imbecile on the sidelines and Boom blow his casket on the refs and his own players!!! I'm ready for the Gus & Boom show!!!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The restrictions definitely didn't help, but CLK himself played a significant role in his failure as a head coach. If he thinks that the restrictions were the only issue, he's going to have problems next time he gets a shot, too. Hopefully, he's learning how to better handle things and people other than players.
Yes and no. Clk had three huge problems after his 10-2 season in 2011.
1.the restrictions which have been discussed
2. Unrealistic preseason rankings
3. Growing powers in the form of Stanford, Oregon, Arizona, and note dame

The restrictions played a heavy part in the resurgence of UCLA and Stanford. Recruits that were likely to go to USC were now going to UCLA, Stanford, and Oregon. And in 2012 Norte Dame was heading to the bcsncg to get whooped by us, but they had far more talent than what USC had. But there is no reason that CLk couldn't develop a defense with his daddy coaching behind him. That is probably the biggest thing that I can actually put on him. I personally have no issue on Haden firing him if he had a home run hire on the other line, but sark doesn't strike me as one of them. All sark strikes me as is a coach that could beat USC when they were down. So I predict USC will most likely travel awhile longer in the wilderness like Michigan is

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Here is the difference in the two fanbases: If a good hire is made at Bama, the fans talk about how good it is for Bama. If a good hire is made at Aubarn, the fans talk about they somehow one-upped Bama. Classic little-brother syndrome.
Barners gonna be barners...it's always about catching Alabama.

I read where one Barner said, "We just won the NC of coaching hires."

Another said "Hiring Boom is proof we aren't playing second fiddle to Alabama in this state."

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
Frankly, I just don't know what makes these two guys think they can work together. Gus has shown that he has little regard for defenses, including his own. I think Will is going to hate Gus for tiring his players out so quickly. It seems to me that, in order for this to work, one of them is going to have to change. Either Gus will have to slow down his offense (unlikely), or Will is going to have to build a defense completely different from what he's done in the past. I wonder if they'll be willing to adapt for the betterment of the team, of if their giant egos will get in the way. Truthfully, I see them clashing from day one. As always, I may be wrong, but I sure hope not!

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Re: Barn has offered Muschamp (update, CWM allegedly going to USCe)

So this isn't a rehire for the 'Barners, then, it's Little Willie still under a blood money oath? Under real scrutiny, appears he ain't done much to establish any impenetrable brick walls at any of his coaching stops - not in his time with Saban at Dolphins, not at West Georgia, not at Tejas with the tea sippers as Cheeze Whiz' successor as DC, not even at Gainesville, supercilious myth to the contrary. In other words, more money well spent on their football program by the Lee County cow-sa nostra...
La Cow-sa Nostra...............what a horrible pun.

I love it!

(However, it is API, so coaching incest might also factor into the mix.)

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia

Auburn is kind of like the episode from Seinfeld where, every day at the office where Elaine works, someone is bringing in a cake (or two) to celebrate something, from a birthday to work anniversary to an engagement all the way to someone "coming back to work because they didn't feel good the day before". Could you imagine working in place where "Bob figured out how to open Excel. Way to go Bob!!!!" or "Mary just sent her first email! Congrats! War **** Outlook!" ?

It is because, as you said, everything there is the "next big thing".
I really LOL'd at this!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.