Link: Barn has offered Muschamp (update: CWM has accepted)

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Re: Barn has offered Muschamp

Why on earth does this "Auburn has no talent on defense!" trope keep coming up? I've seen three or four posters that have pointed out that it is not the case.

Go to any of the major recruiting websites and see for yourselves.
My barner brother says it - he has followed barn football (went there) since around 1960, I guess. Can't convince him otherwise (at least I can't). Now, however, if someone like you were to post on here how much of an idiot he is, that the barn does, in fact, have "talent" on defense but the problem is coaching, well....then he would just say you're not a real barn fan, and you don't know what you are talking about.
Would make me feel a lot better come Christmas time, though... :wink:

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

LOL! I didn't say Auburn had no talents... I was just saying that Will needs to take a look at Auburn Roster and decide whether he can implement his system with the players with Auburn losing lot of people after this year.. and year after next. With WM, It's real possiblity that some players will lose their starting jobs... That's why i said this defense could be "young" on the field... Didn't say lack of talent... now Texas A and M.. they do have SOME talent on the roster... but the question is can they be coached up?
Why on earth does this "Auburn has no talent on defense!" trope keep coming up? I've seen three or four posters that have pointed out that it is not the case.

Go to any of the major recruiting websites and see for yourselves.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Exactly. As for Auburn's defense, it's not that they have no talent. But there is something about the HUNH that seems to prevent teams that run it from having a decent defense. I have no idea what it is, but I can't think of any exceptions to that rule. Anybody else? I mean, Ellis Johnson was no slouch as a DC.
Clemson has the number one D this year, so there's at least one. The offense Chad Morris runs is very similar to Gus's.

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013

LOL! I didn't say Auburn had no talents... I was just saying that Will needs to take a look at Auburn Roster and decide whether he can implement his system with the players with Auburn losing lot of people after this year.. and year after next. With WM, It's real possiblity that some players will lose their starting jobs... That's why i said this defense could be "young" on the field... Didn't say lack of talent... now Texas A and M.. they do have SOME talent on the roster... but the question is can they be coached up?
Well, sorry if I misunderstood, but the phrase I bolded ("at least they have some talent") implies that Auburn has none. Looking at the recruiting rankings, I think the idea that aTm has more defensive talent than us is a bit silly.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I'm sorry... Recuiting Ranking doesn't mean jack to me...It's all about getting what you want for your team.. You can get talent.. but can you translate that on the field? Not always... There's lot of busts in the ranking every year.
Well, sorry if I misunderstood, but the phrase I bolded ("at least they have some talent") implies that Auburn has none. Looking at the recruiting rankings, I think the idea that aTm has more defensive talent then us is a bit silly.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004

Recruiting ranking NEVER look at a teams needs, attrition, graduation, early exits, staff preferences/style etc. You can have tremendous talent and gaping holes in your defense. I can't speak to AU's defense or needs, but we'll see soon how a new coordinator works with the rest of the remaining staff and players on the AU team. Color me skeptical, unless the DC can bring in his own staff and make world beaters out of AU's current players.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)

If i was him i would take a head coaching job at a smaller school similar to McElwain to build his reputation back up.Going back to be a DC somewhere just seems like a backwards career move imo.
Exactly. It is rare for a head coach turned college coordinator to ever get a second shot. It's happened, but it's a tough route. Kiffen will probably be one of the rare exceptions.

I think he'd be much better off going to the NFL. That's not really seen as much of a demotion if at all.

Anyone know how many years that Muschamp had left on his contract at UF? Any coaching related income would be deducted from what is left on his UF contract, so he'd likely be coaching for free.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Auburn offered him lot of money......
Exactly. It is rare for a head coach turned coordinator to ever get a second shot. It's happened, but it's a tough route. Kiffen will probably be one of the rare exceptions.

I think he'd be much better off going to the NFL. That's not really seen as much of a demotion if at all.

Anyone know how many years that Muschamp had left on his contract at UF? Any coaching related income would be deducted from what is left on his UF contract, so he'd likely be coaching for free.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013

Exactly. It is rare for a head coach turned coordinator to ever get a second shot. It's happened, but it's a tough route. Kiffen will probably be one of the rare exceptions.

He gets something like 8 mil guaranteed. Heck of a buyout.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.