Thoughts on Sims after 12 games

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
I know he doesn't always pass the eye test and has had some slump type moments.

But man, when he's throwing with confidence and using his speed to bring the dual threat element to the offense, he's the hardest QB to defend of the Saban era.

I thought it was great to give the 5th year senior a shot in the first game, but i had no idea he would have this kind of season and success.

He's on pace to break single season team records, could end up the most productive single season of QB play in Bama history.
I believe he already has around 3300 yards of offense and 30 total TD.
With a possible 3 games to go he could be pushing 4000 yards and 40 total TDs by the end of the year, amazing numbers.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Love him. I just enjoying watching him play the game. When he is getting the signals from the sideline on which play to call, you can really see the wheels turning on what to call because he has these expressions that are priceless. I just think he will go down as one of my favorites to play QB at Alabama just because of the way he plays the game and has represented us along the way. He is one of those players that you love hearing the stories about. We will only get to see him play this one year, but it has been one heck of a ride.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I know he doesn't always pass the eye test and has had some slump type moments.

But man, when he's throwing with confidence and using his speed to bring the dual threat element to the offense, he's the hardest QB to defend of the Saban era.

I thought it was great to give the 5th year senior a shot in the first game, but i had no idea he would have this kind of season and success.

He's on pace to break single season team records, could end up the most productive single season of QB play in Bama history.
I believe he already has around 3300 yards of offense and 30 total TD.
With a possible 3 games to go he could be pushing 4000 yards and 40 total TDs by the end of the year, amazing numbers.
I like him. He has had his highs and lows, but we are 11-1 through 12 so he has done good. I really think CLK and amari have played a huge part of his success, but overall he is a good to great qb. How great in terms of history is a matter of opinion. I'm reserving that opinion til seasons end, but he has a great season this far

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Hard to imagine anyone being able to do any better and he has been fun to watch. I think the whole team has rallied and they look like they like each other and are having more fun that in recent past years. I think its a key to the success the team has had and I think he is a big part of that.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Well, he's almost certainly going to finish the season as the school's leading single-season passer in yardage. He has a backdoor shot at the single-season passing TD record. It really isn't that crazy if we make the playoffs while throwing 2-3 TDs per game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Well, he's almost certainly going to finish the season as the school's leading single-season passer in yardage. He has a backdoor shot at the single-season passing TD record. It really isn't that crazy if we make the playoffs while throwing 2-3 TDs per game.
The record is 30 by AJ last year. He can very well beat that since he has 24 now. He's average 2 TD passes per game while splitting a couple of games early in the season with Coker. Wouldn't be shocked at all if he at least ties it.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
One of the best ever and a lot of people would have thrown in the towel last Sat. night but he sucked it up and brought us back. RTR

Last edited:

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
The record is 30 by AJ last year. He can very well beat that since he has 24 now. He's average 2 TD passes per game while splitting a couple of games early in the season with Coker. Wouldn't be shocked at all if he at least ties it.
And i think AJ had 1 rushing TD that year too, Sims has 6 rushing TDs to go along with 24 TD passes.
So if we play 3 more games and he has around 6 TD passes and rushing TD he's going to shatter the record for total TDs.

jenk56

1st Team
Sep 5, 2012
Gotta give the man his due, how many QBs could have thrown 3 INTs and have the fortitude to pick himself up by the bootstraps in a game of that magnitude? I love Blake and I think he is the beginning of a new type of QB at Alabama, with a more athletic and versatile skill set.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
Sims is a good quarterback.... I am not sure that we could win simply on the quality of his throws, but his overall composition is exactly what this years team needs to be successful.

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
he is just a gamer. Tu use a basketball reference: He is that guy that can't hit an open shot, or make a layup in warm-ups, but someone puts a hand in his face and he can't miss.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Gotta give the man his due, how many QBs could have thrown 3 INTs and have the fortitude to pick himself up by the bootstraps in a game of that magnitude? I love Blake and I think he is the beginning of a new type of QB at Alabama, with a more athletic and versatile skill set.
Fortitude is a good word for it. After his third interception, the next five drives ended in TDs. Four of the five drives were over 70 yards.

TideV

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 18, 2005
Birmingham, Alabama
I thought since end of last season we would play anyone other than Blake. I never saw anything in him before that would change my mind. But, what a difference there has been this season! Biggest (and best) surprise in the SEC, in my opinion. I applaud that young man and wish him all the best in these last games. He deserves every honor coming to him!

he is just a gamer. Tu use a basketball reference: He is that guy that can't hit an open shot, or make a layup in warm-ups, but someone puts a hand in his face and he can't miss.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417634341.822719.jpg

Yeah, when the guy is on he is on! He is becoming my favorite player!

He already owns the record for total yards in a season, passing yards are up next. Should be fantastic to see it unfold!

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Not sure I have ever seen someone play so poorly for the first half and the first possession of the second half while throwing 3 interceptions and then play almost flawless the rest of the game. The epitome of mental toughness..

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It says a lot around the guys around him. Nobody quit on Blake either. Kiffin is taking the blame for some bad playcalls into the zone defense, he adjusts to get Sims some confidence building looks against the defense. Cooper was still out there running his routes to perfection. Line is still working their tails off to keep him clean. Backs are still churning their legs for extra yards.

I tell you that we didn't see that when McCarron had some dumb throws in the Sugar Bowl. It is as important that this team believes in Blake Sims as it is that Blake believe in himself.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Blake Sims is a class individual. You can see that by the way he carries himself, by the way he puts team first, by his passion for the game. He's certainly not the most talented QB we've had, but his desire to win is second to none.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
My thoughts are:
The numbers speak for themselves. With only one blemish, and with the situations he has adapted to and overcome (some of his own making, granted), only one word comes to mind:
Winner.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.