Appears Bill Battle Does Not Want Anymore "Dixieland Delight"

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The Tuscaloosa media are discussing it on Twitter. This is a screenshot of an e-mail sent from the athletic department.

Bamafan P.T.

All-SEC
Oct 15, 2005
Tuscaloosa
I'm glad.
Fun song at games until the extra lyrics got out of hand.
No place for that at a college football game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It totally got out of hand with the "magic word" being said after every phrase of the verse. The little piece at the end about "LSU, Auburn, and Tennessee too" was not high class but it wasn't echoing around the stadium for minutes either.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm glad.
Fun song at games until the extra lyrics got out of hand.
No place for that at a college football game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not disagreeing with you, but the best way to get a bunch of college kids to do something is to tell them they can't do it.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Good. Terrible song, and about Tennessee too. No idea why we started playing that in the first place.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
there has always been a "lack of class" at bds (wrt vulgarity, crassness, etc. at least as long as i have been going), it just wasn't as widely coordinated.
This ^^^ I've seen some bad things go on at BDS along those lines , and its not just the student section. I think removing the song is a temporary fix to coordinated chants , but they will find something else to do.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Hard to fault Battle for the decision after Saturday night's rendition.

Coach Bryant always said "show your class." Unfortunately not everyone knows how and/or when to do so - I'll stop short of saying not everyone has some, at least enough to know better.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The thing is, I remember when Dixieland Delight wasn't so charged with distaste in BDS. These magic words were added since I was an undergrad in the MDB.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Who thinks the college kids will not pick a new song for next fall and add some new words. Or start singing the song on their own. It could be interesting if they pick a song that "cant" be just removed. I look to see it done with Sweet Home Alabama. Moves and countermoves.

Imo the only way to stop with Dixieland Delight was to stop playing it. College kids will not stop singing the extra words just because you asked.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
I understand everyone's sentiment and I knew it was going to be over the top during the Iron Bowl once Scarbinsky wrote an article about it. It is human nature (especially with teenagers and young adults) when chastised or told not to do something to prove that you can even when it's something that you really don't care about. Using the f word was crass and I wish they had used another word there like "beat" because the other ad libs were fun.

This is a different time that we are living in. The line on what is acceptable or offensive is getting blurred more and more every day.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I understand everyone's sentiment and I knew it was going to be over the top during the Iron Bowl once Scarbinsky wrote an article about it. It is human nature (especially with teenagers and youn adults) when chastised or told not to do something to prove that you can even when it's something that you really don't care about. Using the f word was crass and Inwish they had used another word there because the other ad libs were fun.

This is a different time that we are living in. The line on what is acceptable or offensive is getting blurred more and more every day.
i was hearing and seeing stuff just as bad going to bama games as a kid in the late 70s

that being said, i believe that battle did the right thing by axing the song

CrimsonPride25

1st Team
Jul 25, 2012
Mobile, Al
I understand everyone's sentiment and I knew it was going to be over the top during the Iron Bowl once Scarbinsky wrote an article about it. It is human nature (especially with teenagers and young adults) when chastised or told not to do something to prove that you can even when it's something that you really don't care about. Using the f word was crass and I wish they had used another word there like "beat" because the other ad libs were fun.
I agree with this. I always look forward to it at the start of the 4th quarter because of the other additions besides the auburn related one. It gets the student section gets rowdy at an important part of the game. But I can also completely understand how mad I would be if I had children with me at the game.

The wife and I were near the student section Saturday and it was pretty obvious what was being said.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.