Appears Bill Battle Does Not Want Anymore "Dixieland Delight"

WalkaboutSean

1st Team
Nov 23, 2010
I must be getting old, because I agree with the fuddy duddies. I'd prefer they get rid of Dixieland Delight - but mainly because the song glorifies TENNESSEE. Surely we can find something better to play.

As for the C.Murder song (and yes, it is a C. Murder song, released in 2000 on the beloved "Trapped in Crime" album, featuring Snoop Dogg and Magic as guests)... Frankly, I was flabbergasted that they are playing this song in Bryant-Denny. The only reason they're playing a brief instrumental excerpt is that it would be impossible to play any more without causing an uproar of Paula Deen proportions. I would offer a link to the song for your listening pleasure, but doing so would probably get me banned. Perhaps it would be interesting to invite Mr. Murder to perform it at halftime; but alas, he's currently in prison... serving a life sentence...for murder. The times they are a changin'.

Perrett4Bama

All-American
Aug 28, 2001
Panama City, Florida
Mr Oblivious here....... what is the big deal? I only went to the Miss St game this year and recall only heard it once maybe twice the whole time in BDS...... was it overplayed on Saturday? What is the reason for not playing it any more. NO blue font here, really curious. Also I had to watch the Iron bowl from a bar this year due to being at in-laws so I didn't get any of the audio.... so perhaps that had something to do with it???
The big deal is called CLASS.......Great job Bill Battle.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
This point has to be made. Classy fans don't help teams win games. They just don't (at least in terms of live games), the term for a tough environment to play in? "Hostile". You've never heard a tough environment labelled as "classy", ever, and you never will because classy doesn't get up and scream, or stand the whole game.

The truth is Alabama and their fans have to decide what it is that they want to be. Do they want to be hostile, or classy? LSU fans are crass, but there's no denying that playing there at night is one of the toughest places to play. Up until recently, no one really accused BDS of that. If you want fans really fired up, you want a rock concert environment, you just can't do it with a country club environment.

Now, I do think there are and should be limits, but really what we are seeing play out is whether or not BDS is going to be hostile, or classy, and truth is we all know which one helps win games.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This point has to be made. Classy fans don't help teams win games. They just don't (at least in terms of live games), the term for a tough environment to play in? "Hostile". You've never heard a tough environment labelled as "classy", ever, and you never will because classy doesn't get up and scream, or stand the whole game.

The truth is Alabama and their fans have to decide what it is that they want to be. Do they want to be hostile, or classy? LSU fans are crass, but there's no denying that playing there at night is one of the toughest places to play. Up until recently, no one really accused BDS of that. If you want fans really fired up, you want a rock concert environment, you just can't do it with a country club environment.

Now, I do think there are and should be limits, but really what we are seeing play out is whether or not BDS is going to be hostile, or classy, and truth is we all know which one helps win games.
Sorry, but I think there's a decent middle ground. I don't accept that it's totally a black or white situation as you posit it. We'll just have to agree to disagree...

pyro

Suspended
Nov 9, 2004
Winchester TN
I'm really surprised that no one put any opinion about what I said about or “dance team." Especially the ladies on the forum...

WalkaboutSean

1st Team
Nov 23, 2010
The truth is Alabama and their fans have to decide what it is that they want to be. Do they want to be hostile, or classy? LSU fans are crass, but there's no denying that playing there at night is one of the toughest places to play.
Everybody always says this about LSU. Yet our record in Baton Rouge since 1964 is 20-5-1. We beat them there for almost 30 straight years, from 1971 to 2000. Folks, it just ain't that tough... :wink:

bbqman

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2006
Decatur, AL
our seats were always in the end zone in the section abutting the student section where they sat all of the fraternities. it was pretty consistently raucous and vulgar
I go to 1 or 2 games every year; sit in South Zone directly under the student section; Every year it has got worse! The F words are mild compared to what the students instruct the opposing players to with certain body parts with each other and also throwing ice. Total lack of class! Event Group personnel standing on the field and monitoring & not doing anything to stop it is joke!

bbqman

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2006
Decatur, AL

Being loud is great; telling the other team & fans to go F their self, among a few other phrases, in their chants is totally classless!

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
After the word police are thru scolding the students for using a little blue language in their newfound enthusiasm for the game, will they set their sights on the language Saban is frequently seen on TV using while on the sidelines? How does one explain the language Saban uses to a child?
I would dearly love to see Saban's reaction to being told his dropping the f bomb on TV during the game makes him classless and embarrassing. :biggrin:

I would suggest if you have a child who will be offended by sitting within earshot of Coach Saban during the game maybe you should rethink things.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
After the word police are thru scolding the students for using a little blue language in their newfound enthusiasm for the game, will they set their sights on the language Saban is frequently seen on TV using while on the sidelines? How does one explain the language Saban uses to a child?
I would dearly love to see Saban's reaction to being told his dropping the f bomb on TV during the game makes him classless and embarrassing. :biggrin:

I would suggest if you have a child who will be offended by sitting within earshot of Coach Saban during the game maybe you should rethink things.
Nice try, but comparing your child's ability (or lack thereof) to lip-read with thousands of people chanting curse words is ridiculous.

Again, you guys who think this is fine - you're not going to change our minds any more than we're (apparently) unable to change yours. Either one agrees that shouting curse words in front of children is classless or not - I'll proudly stand with those calling it classless. And I'll fully support the University doing whatever is necessary to hinder it.

And for the record, I couldn't care less who does it - if CNS was cursing in front of a child I'd ask him to tone it down.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
y'all... i play guitar in bars and frat parties all over the southeast for a living... every school does this with songs, and most of them do it about us. Let me tell you that every time "sweet home alabama" is played around a college not named alabama. two one syllable words replace "sweet home" at the top of their lungs. not abnormal you guys.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Nice try, but comparing your child's ability (or lack thereof) to lip-read with thousands of people chanting curse words is ridiculous.

Again, you guys who think this is fine - you're not going to change our minds any more than we're (apparently) unable to change yours. Either one agrees that shouting curse words in front of children is classless or not - I'll proudly stand with those calling it classless. And I'll fully support the University doing whatever is necessary to hinder it.

And for the record, I couldn't care less who does it - if CNS was cursing in front of a child I'd ask him to tone it down.
Nice try back at you. I watch the ballgame with children occasionally, when Saban obviously is cussing, I simply tell them he is using an adult bad word.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Point is you can't compare lip-reading (a skill many children don't have) with thousands of people chanting. It's a silly comparison.
During several game threads, I've seen moderators remark over Saban dropping the f bomb while on TV on the sidelines. It is obvious. And to clarify, it doesn't bother me in the least.

I understand the difference between a bunch of students chanting a bad word, verses the head of the entire operation using that same language. People can differ on which sets a bad example, or if either one does.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Ok now I'm confused? Is this about the profanity during Dixieland delight or everyone's gripe of the current generation. Bds is not a true family environment, and the quicker people accept that the easier it will be to accept the music played on the playlist. Does that mean using the F bomb is ok??? No, but you are bound to hear it among other bad things in the midst of 100k plus regardless. I think they should find away to remove the chant, but it's not going to change bds to a totally safe environment like many of you think. Plus I remember lot of you saying you never heard the chant til it was made nationally known, so if you can ignore that then you probably ignore a lot of other things that go on because there are way more things I could list that are just as bad going on.

James Eagle

1st Team
Aug 9, 2011
North Georgia
Thank you Mr. Battle. Bryant Denny Stadium is not the place for any sort of organized public vulgar behavior. Respect the team, respect the competitor and respect the fans. RTR.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.