News Article: Nick Saban has worked wonders getting Alabama to No. 1

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/94801/saban-has-worked-wonders-getting-alabama-to-no-1

Looking for a coach of the year candidate? You're reading about him.

Regardless of what preseason polls said, Alabama has no business being here today, ranked No. 1 the week of the SEC championship game, a stone’s throw away from the top seed in the College Football Playoff. All those votes cast in June and July were hinged on the arm of a transfer quarterback and a coach who had won four national championships since 2003.

One of those came through, and it wasn’t Jameis Winston's backup at Florida State.

Whether it was molding Blake Sims into a championship-caliber QB, shaping a young defense into one of the country’s best, or wading through the treacherous waters of the SEC West, this has been the best coaching job of Saban’s career.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I said this a few weeks ago. This has definitely been his best coaching job and he has done this with such young talent. Just amazing.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I read this at lunch. Good article, and I agree. But coach of the year will probably go to Dan Mullen because of the rule that I'm sure is written somewhere: "Coach of the Year awards should go to someone who historically is not that good, but did well in the given year."
Patterson and Briles are candidates too.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Sometimes it's easier to "Coach" when you aren't expected to win the whole thing.....I think he was able to get in the kids' ears early -- vs a group reading their own press clippings.....

I think 16 is very much in view....

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I was just thinking about this earlier in the morning. So we are just days away from playing in our 4th SECCG in 7 years, a few games away from playing in our 4th NC in 6 years. After the Ole Miss loss, pundits/media idiots and various fanbases were so damn eager to write the Crimson Tide off, citing our " dynasty' was over and CFB has passed CNS up. Instead our boys just kept on winning football games. They proceeded to beat one of the premier programs in the country with an epic win in overtime all the while handing them their 4th straight loss in the series. They decisively defeated one of our most hated rivals for the 8th straight time. They methodically gave the # 1 team in America their first loss of the season. And finally victorious over their in- state rivals in the biggest shootout in IB history.

Sitting at #1 in the beginning of December just feels like old times again. RTR!!

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Considering he loses most of his best players after three years to the pros, yeah it's remarkable.

tidegrandpa

All-American
I was just thinking about this earlier in the morning. So we are just days away from playing in our 4th SECCG in 7 years, a few games away from playing in our 4th NC in 6 years. After the Ole Miss loss, pundits/media idiots and various fanbases were so damn eager to write the Crimson Tide off, citing our " dynasty' was over and CFB has passed CNS up. Instead our boys just kept on winning football games. They proceeded to beat one of the premier programs in the country with an epic win in overtime all the while handing them their 4th straight loss in the series. They decisively defeated one of our most hated rivals for the 8th straight time. They methodically gave the # 1 team in America their first loss of the season. And finally victorious over their in- state rivals in the biggest shootout in IB history.

Sitting at #1 in the beginning of December just feels like old times again. RTR!!
Dig out some of the Arky game posts, you would'a thought Hoke was our coach.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
It was clear at the beginning of the season that Bama was a very talented team, but also a young team. A lot of people believed this would be a rebuilding year. Much credit should be given to all the coaches. CNS has shown that he is a winner who will adapt. The ridiculous statement that "Malzahn will own Saban" was put to rest in the Tuscaloosa Shootout. I just hope that the intensity, emotion, and confidence the Bama players showed in the fourth quarter of the Barn beat down will continue.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.