OJ Howard identifies early-season issue on catching balls

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think next year he is going to be a star.
I agree. I think he could be utilized in a similar fashion as Coop has been this year. As a receiver, OJ presents a mismatch to any defender that is covering him. If it's a corner then box him out and throw a jump ball. If it's a linebacker run a go route and burn him. I just don't think OJ has natural receiver ability. IOW, he's a great athlete that just happens to be playing football. Not necessarily a football player that is a great athlete. Maybe with a year of guidance from Kiffin OJ can fill the shoes Coop will be leaving..

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
"Probably just not me going to get the ball out of the air," Howard said. "But now I've been doing a pretty good job of it, of going up and getting it and attacking the ball."

If you didn't know already, you'd be surprised how many big-size football and basketball players are negligent in this. They're so use at lower levels of getting the easy ball, so they expect it to be there later on. Eventually it catches up to them when a very talented and hard-working little guy just takes it away from them. Glad to see he's getting better. I think next year, watch out. We'll be seeing him where we've expected him to be all along. His stats be even better if Jacob Coker is QB next season.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
OJ is the perfect example of the perils of high ranked recruits. There's no question that OJ has NFL talent and he probably ends up playing on Sunday. However, talent does not always equate to skill. By the time he leaves Alabama, he'll probably be ready for the NFL and he'll probably be an impact player, however, how many games will Alabama benefit from that?

I'm not saying this to disparage OJ at all, he is a good player, but the next time someone points to recruiting rankings and ask why Alabama isn't doing even better, just keep that in mind. OJ is not yet what he can and probably will be.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Everybody is excited about OJ's potential to have a big year next season, and I feel the same way. But why wait 'til next year? We've got the three biggest games (hopefully) of this season in front of us. He could play lights out to finish this season, and have his breakout season now. That's what I'm looking for.

tru2bama

Scout Team
Sep 19, 2004
Birmimgham, AL
Everybody is excited about OJ's potential to have a big year next season, and I feel the same way. But why wait 'til next year? We've got the three biggest games (hopefully) of this season in front of us. He could play lights out to finish this season, and have his breakout season now. That's what I'm looking for.
What he said.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I just don't think OJ is to the point where he can have a big impact on the game as a receiver. Sure he can make a play here or there but he hasn't shown the confidence to consistently make catches..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
OJ is the perfect example of the perils of high ranked recruits. There's no question that OJ has NFL talent and he probably ends up playing on Sunday. However, talent does not always equate to skill. By the time he leaves Alabama, he'll probably be ready for the NFL and he'll probably be an impact player, however, how many games will Alabama benefit from that?

I'm not saying this to disparage OJ at all, he is a good player, but the next time someone points to recruiting rankings and ask why Alabama isn't doing even better, just keep that in mind. OJ is not yet what he can and probably will be.
OJ is the biggest example of a player with all the talent being able to just dominate his high school opponents. He would have played at Prattville, where he would have been playing against guys in his talent area, but he ended up at Autauga Academy after a rezoning where he looked like he was playing against pee-wee players.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I like the idea of splitting him out where he can brush block and catch an 8 yd pass and turn it into 16 or power block on a sweep like he did on that first td in the IB

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
He has got to keep,working on catching the football, great kid, great attitude, has all the tools but like Coach Edwards told the team a while back,am receiver at Alabama can't afford to not catch it because it don't come that often.

we throw more now than when he said it of course.

I think he will be something to watch next year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.