Bret Bielema in serious talk with Nebraska (rumor, apparently untrue)

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Re: Bret Bielema in serious talk with Nebraska

Color me confused unless Bret wants to get back into a conference where wins will be easier to come by.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

doubt it. Bret would be stupid to take it, and Wisconsin would hate him even more.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Let us check in on Casa de Malzahn to see why a moving truck has arrived....

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

He probably realizes he cannot compete yearly for an SEC title. He could compete every year for a conference title at Nebraska..

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

I've said it a few times and I'll say it again, the Bielma hire was an awful hire for Arky. I thought they could have gotten someone much better and I still think that. Bielma has some good qualities as a coach and perhaps he is still learning but I just don't see him as someone that could ever compete at the highest level in the SEC.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

Color me confused as well. This can't be about more money, he us maxed out vs results right now.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com

I would argue that the path to a national title is easier in Lincoln than it is in Fayetteville. Bielema's preferred offensive system would work better there. Neither place has much of an in-state recruiting base (Arkansas is somewhat better), but Nebraska is still a national brand with a championship tradition. The Big 10 West is a pushover compared to the SEC West (only Wisconsin is a consistent contender there), and Nebraska is and should be a first-tier program in the Big 10 (in terms of support, resources, facilities, etc.) while Arkansas will always be second-tier in the SEC.

In my mind, it would make a ton sense for him to go. It is hard to see Arkansas doing better than 7 or 8 wins a year over the next few seasons unless the Tide, LSU, or Auburn go significantly backward and the upward progress of the Mississippi schools ends. It does beg the question as to why he left Wisconsin in the first place...I always scratched my head on that one.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I have to admit, I kinda hope this happens just so I can read the meltdown on the Arky boards - they now LOVE Bielema.

I know this makes me an awful person but ...

:biggrin2:

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana

He would return Nebraska football to it's old style of play, that's for sure.

As a side note, what costume would Jen wear now?

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK

He probably realizes he cannot compete yearly for an SEC title. He could compete every year for a conference title at Nebraska..
He was doing that at Wisconsin. And chose to leave. This would be like marrying the same woman a 2nd time just because she moved a few blocks over.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Thats up in the air. LSU seems to be on a decline, and Auburn and aTm are big question marks defensively and their offenses are up and down. Plus the Missippi schools wont be able substain the success they had this year. I think if Bielema stays he could be 2 to 4 in the west at worst if he continues to recruit the players he has. If Bret goes to Nebraska it would actually be worse for him than staying in Arkansas. He would have to compete with Wisconsin and Minnesota yearly for the division. Both of those teams have a severe recruiting advantage over Nebraska due to location. Bielema would be able to take the states of Nebraska and South Dakota for recruits, but Whisky, Minnie, and Iowa will contest him for national recruits in the Midwest. As it stands he has free reign over Arkansas and West Tennessee, and Missouri and Arky fight for border recruits.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

Easy to see the attraction from Nebraska. Bielema is

1. Someone with Big 1(?)0 ties.
2. Can manage a long-term rebuilding of a program.
3. Sane.

Who's his agent, btw? If it's Sexton, then we all know what's going on.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

He was doing that at Wisconsin. And chose to leave. This would be like marrying the same woman a 2nd time just because she moved a few blocks over.
Nebraska, unlike Wisconsin, would probably pay his assistants much better. That is one of the main reasons he left Wisconsin – they wouldn't pay his assistants enough.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.