CBS contract dispute puts Saturday's game in jeopardy on DISH Network

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Iwould suggest you go and buy digital antenna or digital converter box, and test them out day before the game, to make sure you have everything set up and ready to go.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
If you have an old TV, without a digital tuner, then yes, you will need a converter box.

One thing that you have to keep in mind is elevation, and/or obstructions. If you knew my address, you would see that no stations are predicted. Move a few hundred feet, either way, and you can pick up most stations. At the far end of the street (which is a lateral move), things are much better.

You do not want to know how much time I have spent tweaking antennas, preamps, etc. I lose some stations when the wind blows, and the trees move a lot. If I did not have 50 years working in this field, I would be on cable or satellite.

Or move!

Most of you will not be that unlucky.

100%Crimson

All-SEC
Feb 4, 2004
No, I live in a valley and for years we struggled to get any kind of reception. This little town then got cable which didn't last very long and most everyone got Dish because Direct TV wasn't offered here at first. There are going to be some angry people come Saturday. We had an antenna with the rotor on it to turn it in various directions and still had horrible signal. I am so mad at Dish right now and mostly CBS. Don't they get enough money as it is?

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Then you live somewhere other than Dallas, Birmingham, Albuquerque (and others) where the stations are all located at the same location. Usually the tallest point in town.

Pittsburgh is a good example of stations located all over the map, mandating use of a rotor. Not that it helps if there are tons of natural obstructions to deal with. Which that place is notorious for.

There is one section of I-whatever where you can not receive ANY radio stations. Hills in all directions.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/02/media/cbs-dish-network-deadline/

The dispute mostly affects 14 cities like New York and Chicago, where the CBS stations are owned and operated locally. It may also affect Showtime and CBS Sports Network, two other cable channels the company owns.

From keepcbs.com

Please find your market below to see which stations could be lost. You may also lose the ability to watch programming on Showtime and CBS Sports Network.

Atlanta
WUPA-TV/CW

Baltimore
WJZ-TV/CBS

Boston
WBZ-TV/CBS
WSBK-TV/My Network TV

Chicago
WBBM-TV/CBS

Dallas
KTVT-TV/CBS
KTXA-TV/Independent

Denver
KCNC-TV/CBS

Detroit
WWJ-TV/CBS
WKBD-TV/CW

Los Angeles
KCBS-TV/CBS
KCAL-TV/Independent

Miami
WFOR-TV/CBS
WBFS-TV/My Network TV

Minneapolis
WCCO-TV/CBS

New York
WCBS-TV/CBS
WLNY-TV/Independent

Philadelphia
KYW-TV/CBS
WPSG-TV/CW

Pittsburgh
KDKA-TV/CBS
WPCW-TV/CW

Sacramento
KOVR-TV/CBS
KMAX-TV/CW

San Francisco
KPIX-TV/CBS
KBCW-TV/CW

Seattle
KSTW-TV/CW

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I switched from Directv to Uverse in July and am happy with that decision. I'll never go back. I've heard a lot of horror stories about Dish so they'll never get my business either.

And I love not having that dish out in the yard (and having to mow around it) anymore!

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I switched from Directv to Uverse in July and am happy with that decision. I'll never go back. I've heard a lot of horror stories about Dish so they'll never get my business either.

And I love not having that dish out in the yard (and having to mow around it) anymore!
If have my DirecTv dish on the roof on the backside of my house-not visible from the street. I also pay someone to mow my yard so those two aren't problems for me. I am thinking about switching to Comcast since I have Comcast for internet. I think it would be easier to have everything under one account..

ROCKEE

1st Team
Nov 1, 2010
Trussville
Did not see b'ham listed.
http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/02/media/cbs-dish-network-deadline/

the dispute mostly affects 14 cities like new york and chicago, where the cbs stations are owned and operated locally. it may also affect showtime and cbs sports network, two other cable channels the company owns.

from keepcbs.com

please find your market below to see which stations could be lost. You may also lose the ability to watch programming on showtime and cbs sports network.

Atlanta
wupa-tv/cw

baltimore
wjz-tv/cbs

boston
wbz-tv/cbs
wsbk-tv/my network tv

chicago
wbbm-tv/cbs

dallas
ktvt-tv/cbs
ktxa-tv/independent

denver
kcnc-tv/cbs

detroit
wwj-tv/cbs
wkbd-tv/cw

los angeles
kcbs-tv/cbs
kcal-tv/independent

miami
wfor-tv/cbs
wbfs-tv/my network tv

minneapolis
wcco-tv/cbs

new york
wcbs-tv/cbs
wlny-tv/independent

philadelphia
kyw-tv/cbs
wpsg-tv/cw

pittsburgh
kdka-tv/cbs
wpcw-tv/cw

sacramento
kovr-tv/cbs
kmax-tv/cw

san francisco
kpix-tv/cbs
kbcw-tv/cw

seattle
kstw-tv/cw

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
If there is a CBS affiliate, in your area, this will tell you if there is, and what size antenna you would need.

http://antennaweb.org/Address.aspx

Once you get the antenna up, it costs nothing.

Won't work for the playoffs or the bowl games, since ESPN has a monopoly on that, but at least it will work for Saturday.
I have the antenna and I would not trade it for cable or Direct/Dish. Of course I do miss ESPN but not $90.00 worth.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
I'll never understand this type of stuff. You can literally build an antenna for under $5 that can pick up local channels in HD.
We have been able to pick up local broadcast stations for free since the beginning of television, and it's still that way. The only problem is that cable channels, like ESPN, have so much money now and are able to outbid the major networks for key programming. But you can pick up the SEC Championship for free with an antenna this Saturday since it is on CBS and your local CBS affiliate emits its signal from their antenna and transmitter. That's a very good thing!

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
If have my DirecTv dish on the roof on the backside of my house-not visible from the street. I also pay someone to mow my yard so those two aren't problems for me. I am thinking about switching to Comcast since I have Comcast for internet. I think it would be easier to have everything under one account..
Don't do it! It's a trap!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.