Question: Evaluate TCU - Are They For Real?

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Now that the committee has plopped TCU into 3rd, there is a real chance that we could face them at some point. I am curious as to how they really stack up to an upper tier SEC team statistically. I was hoping some of you X&O monsters might break them down here.

Size, Speed, Offense, Defense, Major Players, Biggest Threats?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
IMO they are only marginally better than West Virginia, so I believe that they would struggle to stay with a team like Alabama or Oregon.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
They stomped Minnesota and only lost a close one to Baylor. I do not think they are top 4 material. Let me put it this way: Until Mississippi, Mississippi State, Georgia and a few other lost multiple games, they were not in the mix. They are only THERE because they only lost once. FSU is only there because they have not lost.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
There isn't a team that has been consistently dominating this year, Bama included. I wouldn't bet on them beating us or Oregon, but, across all three phases of the game, I think they're as "for real" as just about anybody else. Of the teams currently ranked outside of the top four, is there anybody who is clearly better than them?

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
This year I struggle saying any Big 12(10) team is "for real". Most years this is not the case though.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
They can't run the ball and they give up 21 ppg. We give up 16 but that's mostly due to ONE particular game, Auburn scoring 44.

TCU gave up 30 points to Kansas, who averages 17 and they gave up 61 to Baylor, who averages 49 (and leads the nation).

Their defensive numbers are frivolous because they include such "defensive efforts" as:

7 points to Minnesota
0 points to SMU (who isn't any good anyway)
9 points to Okie St
10 points to Texas

I can't sit here and say they don't belong (other than the notion their head to head loss to Baylor doesn't count is mind-boggling to me) but.....think Texas 2009 only with less of a defense and with the same impressive looking numbers based on the fact Big 12 teams play video ball and don't run.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
No. Just like Oregon in the 2010-11 NC game against AU they will find that the SEC has size, strength, AND speed on offense and defense.

Last edited:

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
You guys are going to stir up blitzkrieg again.
:) I don't mean any disrespect to these teams or their fans it is just my opinion that they are usually over-rated because they play a weaker schedule and put up video game statistics week in and week out. But when they play teams that are big, strong, and fast (typically southern teams) on offense and defense they do not do as well. If they were in the SEC having to go up against these types of teams every week they would be average at best.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Seen TCU on TV. Pretty good team I think. QB Boykin is outstanding. I think they are capable of beating any one in the country.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Seen TCU on TV. Pretty good team I think. QB Boykin is outstanding. I think they are capable of beating any one in the country.
This is what it seems to me as well but I don't know how they compare by position and skill for skill. I hope Jess does a breakdown of the top four after next week and before the bowls.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Top 4? I'm not sure, but I would definitely put them in the category of "dangerous" team. Patterson is no idiot, give them a month to prepare and they will be formidable in the playoff.

GCtidefan

1st Team
Sep 23, 2010
Adger, AL
I watched WVU play both TCU and Baylor. They beat the latter outright and lost to TCU in the 4th qtr. IIRC, WVU was without a couple of key play makers (starting corner was out, as was #2) when they played TCU.
Their offense had trouble running up the middle against WVU, but success with sweeps. Most pass plays were within the 10-15 yard range. Their corners have good speed, but not so good technique. Same with the secondary.
IMO, they are a fast team on both sides of the ball, but lack the weight/skill to manhandle opposing players - sort of the old "finesse as opposed to physical" mantra we see a lot from the left coast.
I honestly don't believe they are much better than the healthy WVU team we faced in August.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.