Nebraska hires Mike Riley from Oregon State

MegaVars

All-American
Nov 17, 2002
Warrior, AL.
I'm thinking Coach O is the best fit. I would just like to hear the folks on ESPN talking about "Orgeron to Oregon (State)".

Besides, Coach O kind of looks like Bucky Beaver.....
If that happens, best not let CBS carry any of their games. It would be a vocabulary train wreck for Vern. ;)

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
We once ran off a coach with a .722 winning percentage with us and replaced him with a guy who had been fired twice and was 18 game sunder .500 as a college coach.

oregonbltzkrieg

1st Team
Sep 17, 2013
Ducks at Warp Speed
You have to be more familiar with his ineptness than us....is this not the most brain dead hire Nebraska could have possibly made?

I JUST learned that you guys have former Neb QB Scott Frost as your OC...I swear Neb would have been better to give him a shot.
Frost is learning his new position at OC. I don't know if he'd make a good head coach, but I think Riley has proven that he doesn't make the grade. I would be unhappy if I were a Cornhusker.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
We once ran off a coach with a .722 winning percentage with us and replaced him with a guy who had been fired twice and was 18 game sunder .500 as a college coach.
Worked out well for Bama....I wouldn't be totally surprised if Mike does pretty at Nebraska.

SouthBaman

1st Team
Mar 26, 2004
Deep South
.541 win percentage as a college coach? umm... I don't think that adds up to 9-3... :)

Pelini won 9 games per season for 7 years straight, right?

Riley has won 9 game 4 times in his entire CAREER. (one of witch was 10 wins)

He's been under .500 for the season 6 times over the same span. I cant imagine why Husker fans wouldn't be happy with this hire...
Apples and oranges. Pelini underachieved at an all-time top 10 program. Riley had 4 9-win seasons at a program with 7 in their entire history of football. Riley leaving Oregon State with a winning record is comparable to a coach leaving Vanderbilt with a winning record after 14 years.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Worked out well for Bama....I wouldn't be totally surprised if Mike does pretty at Nebraska.
We have had success by hiring guys with bad records. I just don't think Riley is the guy to take them to the next level. But he is a Bama guy and I wish him well. I hope they lose to us in the finals next season.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
I see your point, but I disagree. If his attitude was really a problem, he would have been fired last year. He's behavior and attitude this year are a huge improvement over last year.

Secondly, Nebraska did the same thing to Frank Solich. Didn't win enough of the right games and championships, so he was booted. And was not near the loose cannon Pelini has been.

Nebraska deserves to be in a dark hole for years after what the did to Coach Solich, seems they had what they wanted all along. Maybe Pelini was correct about the fans but he is crazy & not suited for a big program.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Apples and oranges. Pelini underachieved at an all-time top 10 program. Riley had 4 9-win seasons at a program with 7 in their entire history of football. Riley leaving Oregon State with a winning record is comparable to a coach leaving Vanderbilt with a winning record after 14 years.
A lot of people seem to "know" what Nebraska is getting in Riley, and they "know" that it is less than they had in Pelini. They might turn out to be correct, but they might not. Apparently Nebraska likes the man and wants to give him a chance to do something special. Why hate on Riley or Nebraska for that? Isn't Riley a former Alabama guy? Shouldn't you be supporting him the way you have supported McElwain?

To be fair, I understand that Alabama fans would not want Riley as a replacement for Saban. You are on top now and want only proven talent. But there were times in your not too distant past that you would have hired Riley with the same record that he currently posts on his resume as a head coach.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
A lot of people seem to "know" what Nebraska is getting in Riley, and they "know" that it is less than they had in Pelini. They might turn out to be correct, but they might not. Apparently Nebraska likes the man and wants to give him a chance to do something special. Why hate on Riley or Nebraska for that? Isn't Riley a former Alabama guy? Shouldn't you be supporting him the way you have supported McElwain?

To be fair, I understand that Alabama fans would not want Riley as a replacement for Saban. You are on top now and want only proven talent. But there were times in your not too distant past that you would have hired Riley with the same record that he currently posts on his resume as a head coach.
Well, I don't think it is "hate" at all. Rather it is "are you kidding me?" The same Nebraska who wants to be a player has hired a middle-of-the-road HC? Wow. I have no love for Nebraska but I do hope he wins there. Can you imagine Mississippi getting rid of Freeze and going after Riley? Wow. Kansas State getting rid of Snyder and going after Riley? Wow.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
A lot of people seem to "know" what Nebraska is getting in Riley, and they "know" that it is less than they had in Pelini.
All we can do is look at their respective histories, and Riley's is quite a bit less impressive.

I don't dislike Riley - I just think he's a 'meh' coach.

miggy402

1st Team
Aug 23, 2009
Waycross, GA
After talking to a Nebraska fan friend of mine, he described Riley as a Golden Goat, to be sacrificed to the masses within three years. More of a placeholder until the coach they want comes along, whenever or whoever that is.

I personally think Riley will do better than most people think he will.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
When Mama called Riley:
The New Orleans Saints assistant Mike Riley turned down the Alabama coaching job yesterday after the university, his alma mater, refused to give him more time to consider a similar position at U.C.L.A.

Riley said Alabama's athletic director, Mal Moore, rejected his request. Riley plans to visit U.C.L.A. after the Saints' home game against Minnesota on Sunday.

Riley, speaking at the Saints' practice field, called himself a ''pretty deliberate person.''

''I asked Alabama about an opportunity to wait a little bit,'' he said. ''They exercised their prerogative and said they needed to go on.''
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/14/sports/colleges-football-riley-turns-down-alabama-job.html

Riley's thoughts on his title ring from 1973:

You won a national championship playing cornerback for Bear Bryant at Alabama. Did they give you guys rings back then?

Yeah, I've got a national championship ring for 1973.

Do you ever break it out and show your players?

No. I should. They'd probably like to see it. ... You want a little humor about the ring? We were talking about [hypothetical] BCS playoffs and all those things. I said, "Hey, this is not a new story. There's been controversy over national championships for a long time." One of the fun things is fans can argue about it, and media people can write their opinions about it. In 1973, we won the UPI national championship. But we played Notre Dame in the [Sugar] Bowl game and lost by a point. They won The Associated Press national championship. So forever more, who really was the national champion? We got national championship rings. So did they. We called it our "Dewey Defeats Truman" ring.
http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...beavers-coach-mike-riley-goes-gridiron-page-2

In the above linked interview from 2011, when asked about the coach who most influenced his life, Riley points to Bud Riley as the most influential, then mentions also learning from John Robinson at USC and Ad Rutschman from Linfield College in Oregon. I think he must have forgotten about Coach Bryant.

I certainly don't hate Riley, I'm more neutral towards him. As he seems to be about his time in Tuscaloosa.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

I don't think Riley is less than what they had in Pelini. But I don't think he's significantly better than what they had in Pelini either.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

Actually that isn't quite correct. We offered him a job over a decade ago. Now he has 10 years of a blah record. To put it in perspective Bo never had more than 4 losses in 7 years and Riley had never had 4 or less losses in 14 years. A home run hire at the outset it ain't. Maybe he'll prove to be a juggernaut but I wouldn't wager even 4 quarters on it.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Being the shadow of Phil Knight's baby certainly made it hard for Riley to make it big but great coaches are able to get out of the shadow. Les Miles at Okie Lite. Malzahn at Auburn. Dantonio at Michigan State. Maybe not absolute dominance from all of those guys but they won against their rival some and generally had more consistency in 8+ win seasons.

Riley is not a great coach. He may be a good coach who will perform better at a big state university with some tradition. I don't see this guy leading the Huskers to any Rose Bowls much less playoff bids.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I agree with BIGTide. I think they are trying to settle things down. Nebraska is a pretty proud program and they have seen what a good class coach is. I think they are searching for another Osborne. I think Riley will be a welcome change for their PTB. As has been noted, he is also up in years and even if he succeeds he will not be there that long. I doubt he will be there more than 4 years while they look for what they think is their longer term guy.

That does not mean I wasn't surprised too, he has not lit the world on fire. However, how many coaches are available out there that have?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.