Thoughts on UAB players and where they'll end up

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
So I am real curious what will happen with their players and where some (or most) will end up. I read that they can play immediately right now if they transfer.

How does this work exactly? Are recruiters already making phone calls to their best players? Do they have any players that we'd want here? Or better yet, has anyone with an ear to the ground heard about any of their players transferring here in light of what has happened there?

This has been on my mind all day. So I was hoping someone here that knew a bit more about the situation could fill in some details.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I saw on their board a couple of their players are making an official visit to Indiana.

They do have a very good kicker, but I am not sure if he would have eligibility left. However, I doubt any of their players would come here even if we wanted them. But reading their boards would be a hoot if one did.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Well, the players can play immediately. So if we got the Kicker for example, he could suit up and play Saturday against Mizzou and then going forward into the playoff.

At least that is my understanding of the situation.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Do they have their full compliment of scholarship players (85)? Will UAB extend their scholarships to full 4 year deals, or are they just going to cut them loose after this season? They are probably on one year renewable scholarships, so the UAB statement that they would honor the scholarships could mean anything. Most of these players know that they have no football future after college and many would probably welcome a full ride without the need to juggle classes and practice.

Anyone know?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I would guess they would honor them for however much more eligibility they have left. The younger guys will probably look elsewhere and get a FCS offer at the worst. Most will probably end up at a school on UAB's level. But someone with just one year left might decide just to ride it out and get his degree at UAB.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I saw on their board a couple of their players are making an official visit to Indiana.

They do have a very good kicker, but I am not sure if he would have eligibility left. However, I doubt any of their players would come here even if we wanted them. But reading their boards would be a hoot if one did.
I suspect any of there players would come to Bama if they got the opportunity.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
hopefully clark and vincent get signed to the same school so their players can finish what they started this year.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Scarbinsky tweeted about that:

"UAB will honor players' scholarships and coaches' contracts. Least they could do."
They didn't have to do that of course.

As I understand it they will not only honor their scholarships this year, but until their would have exhausted their eligibility. So a freshman 3rd stringer will get a full scholarship to do nothing. Not a bad deal. I would have liked to have that opportunity myself.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

As I understand it they will not only honor their scholarships this year, but until their would have exhausted their eligibility. So a freshman 3rd stringer will get a full scholarship to do nothing. Not a bad deal. I would have liked to have that opportunity myself.
This is correct. Glad to see they offered it at least. Many will be able to play elsewhere. The 85 limit is where the booger really lies.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Thanks - that is what I was asking. Doesn't really cost the school anything other than the cost of the books and food to do that, so it makes sense. Happy to hear that the kids will be taken care of, even if their desire to play football can't be met.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I think most D1 players hold onto a dream , albeit a long shot, of playing in the NFL. So with that I think most will transfer and play somewhere , even if they step down a division. If it were me, I would take the scholarship and earn my degree. As others have said, a full ride without the burden of FBS is very advantageous. Don't know how many will understand that.

On a side note, and I may be in the minority, if UAB is invited to a bowl the school should allow the team to play. They may not because it will bring back ill feelings and allow another chance for protesting, etc. but they could also honor the student athletes for their commitment and the bowl that invites them will get a lot of publicity.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I really don't see a bowl extending them an invitation. With this hanging over their heads they might not bring any fans with them.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I would think a handful of their really good players would transfer, while the rest probably just finish their education and probably give up football altogether.

If they're smart, Samford should offer Bill Clark. They wouldn't have to pay any relocation expenses.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
The big problem for them now is that they are just a basketball school and they may be looking for another conference .

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
We have a friend whose son is a RS O-Lineman at UAB--well he was until last week. Anyway, he has had colleges talking to him for 2 weeks prior to the announcement that they were shutting down the program. He had some Ivy League offers out of high school but choose UAB because of the proximity to home. Not sure what he will do, but PYRO--Troy needs good players and UAB has plenty!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.