Game Thread: Alabama vs. Xavier

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
i think i make the same comment every year. but we win a couple cupcake games and some fans think we are ready to be a good team. then when we play a team with a pulse and lose a complete 360 in attitude occurs. sometimes you have to use the eye test. and using the eye test, we truly are not that much better than last season.
I think it's a much better team than last year. This team can actually shoot.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Know this is a game thread and one could be asking to be censored by making this comment, but - seems to me that Grant's "path" to success is inching road loss by road loss toward the precipice...

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Could be. It's actually "Post Game now"!
Know this is a game thread and one could be asking to be censored by making this comment, but - seems to me that Grant's "path" to success is inching road loss by road loss toward the precipice...

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
With all due respect, CAG is barely over .500 overall and in conference games since he's been at Alabama. That has more to do with us not making the tournament as much as anything. At some point you have to win more than you lose..
SEC perception has everything to do with why we haven'tbeen to 3 NCAA tournaments. 12-4 and 9-7 conference records got our previous coach into the dance. We get in those years and no one is really complaining about lack of NCAA trips.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I didn't get to see any of it so I am just going from the gametracker and the tweets, but it seems we kinda got screwed by the fact the home teams shot a ton more free throws and they fouled out 2 of our 3 bigs with 8 minutes in the game. No one is going to win many on the road with that kind of disparity in free throws and no big guys to protect the rim.

We lose one game against a pretty good team and the wolves come out. Xavier is a basketball school where it is the number 1 sport and the arena was sold out. Also, no one expects this Bama team to win all of its non conference games. The schedule is just too tough. I expect we may lose 1 or 2 more before the conference schedule begins. I really think we'll excel once the conference schedule begins. I think we have a realistic chance to win the west. I am not going to back off my earlier statement that we'll be a tourney team. Give this team some support and be a little more patient. I think it will pay off.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I didn't get to see any of it so I am just going from the gametracker and the tweets, but it seems we kinda got screwed by the fact the home teams shot a ton more free throws and they fouled out 2 of our 3 bigs with 8 minutes in the game. No one is going to win many on the road with that kind of disparity in free throws and no big guys to protect the rim.

We lose one game against a pretty good team and the wolves come out. Xavier is a basketball school where it is the number 1 sport and the arena was sold out. Also, no one expects this Bama team to win all of its non conference games. The schedule is just too tough. I expect we may lose 1 or 2 more before the conference schedule begins. I really think we'll excel once the conference schedule begins. I think we have a realistic chance to win the west. I am not going to back off my earlier statement that we'll be a tourney team. Give this team some support and be a little more patient. I think it will pay off.
There are no more divisions in the SEC for basketball. But I like the way you think.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Watched UCLA on the PAC12 network tonight. Looking forward to that game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Didn't watch any of it, either. Tried to follow it a little on Twitter. When I saw the below tweet, I knew it was bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
There are no more divisions in the SEC for basketball. But I like the way you think.
Forgot, but I think we'll be in the top 4 in the conference when all is said and done. Kentucky is well Kentucky. I am not sure anyone will beat them this season. Then you have Florida and possibly Georgia, Arky, LSU, and then Bama all contending for the 3rd and 4th spot.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Forgot, but I think we'll be in the top 4 in the conference when all is said and done. Kentucky is well Kentucky. I am not sure anyone will beat them this season. Then you have Florida and possibly Georgia, Arky, LSU, and then Bama all contending for the 3rd and 4th spot.
Sounds about right, but if Florida don't look out, they may drop a few spots this year.

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com
I missed the Xavier game, but have seen most games so far and there is no way I can agree this team isn't better. This team is way better than last year and by the time we get to March is when we will really know. I'm still hopeful!!! RTR

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'll just say this. This team has possibilities. I agree with most that it's time to see substantial improvement.
I also KNOW that we have no home court advantage because our home crowds are non existent , and it's tough to win on the road.
There's not really a commitment from the fan base, just criticism when we don't make the tournament.
That being said, actually watch this team play before passing along your dire opinion.
This, "I didn't get to see the game BUT it seems to me"..is like saying "I have no clue at all but here's my opinion".
sip

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com
I saw WC, SM, IS, & SF games and I stand by my statement, this is a improved team. I'm still open and waiting til March before I/we know how much, but having scoring production from someone besides one player like T Relly and pushing 80 so far is an improvement. You're right about the fan base, when I'm watching the games it trips me out how many empty seats there are. I might try and make the UCLA game, not sure, only home for so many days but I sure as heck want to.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
The problem is Grant has long ignored promoting the team with the students and by the time he began to think it was a good idea he had already lost most of them. Hopefully we'll start winning and they will start coming.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I think You're forgetting about TAMU and Mizzou, the "new kids on the block". I'm think 7 or 8, or optimistically 6. I've seen Arky, TAMU, and Mizzou play and I think they are a step ahead of us "maturity" wise. LSU to me is a one man show right now.

Last edited:

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I think You're forgetting about TAMU and Mizzou, the "new kids on the block". I'm think 7 or 8, or optimistically 6. I've seen Arky, TAMU, and Mizzou play and I think they are a step ahead of us "maturity" wise. LSU to me is a one man show right now.

6 won't get us in the big dance. We have to finish at 4 or above for CAG to keep his job unless I am reading the situation totally wrong. No butts in the seats will get you gone every time. CAG seems to have realized you can't win at this level by defense alone. I may be overly optimistic, but I think we have a shot to get there.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
True. But, we are picked to finish in the bottom part of the conference and I feel optimistic by saying we are finishing in the Middle.

6 won't get us in the big dance. We have to finish at 4 or above for CAG to keep his job unless I am reading the situation totally wrong. No butts in the seats will get you gone every time. CAG seems to have realized you can't win at this level by defense alone. I may be overly optimistic, but I think we have a shot to get there.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.