Blake Sims (remarkable year)

oldtimetider

1st Team
Nov 16, 2008
What a journey for this young man. From the spring game to can't win the job to can't throw the long ball....Perhaps thought, his most impressive quality is his courage. He's willing to throw the ball into windows that other Saban era QB's would not. They would pull it down and take a sack or throw it away...not that those were or are mistakes...but Blake will roll the dice.
It's cost him at times..and he's been lucky at times....but he has made more big plays than anyone in memory....
Reasons?? Maybe Kiffen's swag is contagious...by God our people are better than their's....throw it in there
Or Maybe it's having Amari.....who's better than anybody on the field...
Whatever it is....He's a nervy son of a gun....He's the man!:BigA:

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
Re: Blake

Kudos to a under dog,who has played so many positions and brought the quote by Coach Bryant to light(Never Quit and You Will Be a Winner)Congrats Too Blake Coach Kiffin for what he has done with Blake.No matter what happens!

Bluegrasstide

1st Team
Oct 31, 2010
Pikeville KY

He is a class act and will go down as one of my favorites. He is a winner by his attitude alone. Selfless. I bet Coach Bryant is smiling right now. Blake is his kind of player.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA

Got to give Sims alot of credit. He's been a great team player and leader. I hope he brings the trophy home as reward for his dedication.

B

BroadwayJoe777

From a previous post I wrote about Blake with the SEC Championship update included:

Blake Sims. What a year this man has had. He has been the proverbial Phoenix if there ever was one!

At the A-Day game, he was lost. The Phoenix was dead.

The first game of the season, he was the declared starter, but we all remember how "iffy" that was with Jake Coker in the wings. The Phoenix was alive.

As the year progresses, Sims looks brilliant running and passing all over the field against Florida. The Phoenix was rising.
Late in the 3rd quarter, Sims injured his shoulder and Bama fans were actually HORRIFIED! The Phoenix was alive and climbing though.

Then, the Ole Miss game. Sims did not lose the game for us, but was very disappointing. The Phoenix was dead again.

Sims played brilliantly again back home against the Aggies. The Phoenix was alive and climbing once again.

The big LSU game comes and by the end of the 4th quarter, the Phoenix was dead again. Then, in the last 44 seconds Blake leads us to the tying score and then the OT win! The Phoenix was climbing once again.

And then Auburn. We were down 33-21 after Blake had thrown his 3rd interception that lead to Auburn scores. If we are honest with ourselves, we know there was a voice inside saying..."Blake must be replaced." Coker starts warming up, and yes the Phoenix was dead. But, Blake wasn't replaced. He came back. He thrived in the pressure of the situation. He stood up mightily against all the misfortune and led us to 34 second half points to etch himself in Alabama Football History. The Phoenix has risen again!

Blake not only led us to victory in the SEC Championship game, but completed 85% of his passes for 262 yards and 2 TD passes. No one will ever achieve 85% again! Not to mention, he was the game MVP! The Phoenix is still rising! Only 2 more games possibly left for Blake in an amazing season. Regardless what happens from here, he has produced an amazing season, one in which Tide fans will never forget.

Big props to Lane Kiffin. I think he really helped maximize Blake's skills. From that point, Blake gave us everything he had, which was more than enough! Roll Tide Roll!

Last edited:

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

I am so proud of him, he fought through adversity and not many believed in him. Now look at him...MVP of the SECCG!

centerstar

2nd Team
Nov 4, 2011
I must say, he is one of my favorite players of all time. What a great story. Roll Tide Roll!

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

The one thing that's impressed me the most about Blake is that he's waited his time, never gave up, on his dream of winning the starting QB job at Bama..That's impressive in this day & age of "It's All About Me, and if I don't win the starting job, and get my way, instead of putting in the time while waiting out his turn & I will transfer to a lesser school to get a starting position..Even though he has just one year to live out his dream, he's turned that one year, into a magical year from which "Legends" are made from..A 100yrs from now Bama Fans will talk about the legend of Blake Sims..That's why we better enjoy Blake this year because this year is turning into the year that a "Legend" was been born into the legacy of Bama Football..I know that sounds corny as hell, but, Blake is having the type year that only a select few Bama Players has had & that put's Blake into the "Best Of The Best" in the history of Crimson Tide Football..We're proud of ya Blake & will be rooting you on, as you lead us, to another NC to add to the largest collection in the history of the game..

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

YOu left out the Miss state game where he led 8 mins of offense...
From a previous post I wrote about Blake with the SEC Championship update included:

Blake Sims. What a year this man has had. He has been the proverbial Phoenix if there ever was one!

At the A-Day game, he was lost. The Phoenix was dead.

The first game of the season, he was the declared starter, but we all remember how "iffy" that was with Jake Coker in the wings. The Phoenix was alive.

As the year progresses, Sims looks brilliant running and passing all over the field against Florida. The Phoenix was rising.
Late in the 3rd quarter, Sims injured his shoulder and Bama fans were actually HORRIFIED! The Phoenix was alive and climbing though.

Then, the Ole Miss game. Sims did not lose the game for us, but was very disappointing. The Phoenix was dead again.

Sims played brilliantly again back home against the Aggies. The Phoenix was alive and climbing once again.

The big LSU game comes and by the end of the 4th quarter, the Phoenix was dead again. Then, in the last 44 seconds Blake leads us to the tying score and then the OT win! The Phoenix was climbing once again.

And then Auburn. We were down 33-21 after Blake had thrown his 3rd interception that lead to Auburn scores. If we are honest with ourselves, we know there was a voice inside saying..."Blake must be replaced." Coker starts warming up, and yes the Phoenix was dead. But, Blake wasn't replaced. He came back. He thrived in the pressure of the situation. He stood up mightily against all the misfortune and led us to 34 second half points to etch himself in Alabama Football History. The Phoenix has risen again!

Blake not only led us to victory in the SEC Championship game, but completed 85% of his passes for 262 yards and 2 TD passes. No one will ever achieve 85% again! Not to mention, he was the game MVP! The Phoenix is still rising! Only 2 more games possibly left for Blake in an amazing season. Regardless what happens from here, he has produced an amazing season, one in which Tide fans will never forget.

Big props to Lane Kiffin. I think he really helped maximize Blake's skills. From that point, Blake gave us everything he had, which was more than enough! Roll Tide Roll!

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
His stats this year are really staggering:
Passing Yards: 3250
Passing TDs: 26
Ints: 7

Rushing Yards: 321
Rushing TDs: 6

Total Yardage: 3571
Total TDs: 32

In addition to this he completed around 70% of his passes and had a QBR in the 90s. He is one of the most efficient passers in the in the NCAA. He is, hands down, the best deep ball passer in recent Crimson Tide history. So, yes, you could say he had a remarkable year :) He is one of my favorite players in the Saban era. RTR.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL

He is a class act and will go down as one of my favorites. He is a winner by his attitude alone. Selfless. I bet Coach Bryant is smiling right now. Blake is his kind of player.

Your comment really ally does sum it up for me. He is the kind of guy Coach Bryant would love to coach. He gives 100% & just that little extra, that makes a winner. Coach Bryant would be so proud of this whole team, he won 6 NC's with teams like this.

IBUY

1st Team
Jan 9, 2007
I echo the sentiments here. Wow, what a great story Blake Sims is. He took it on himself to improve and became not only a great QB but a leader on this team. And Coach Lane Kiffin....another wow....what confidence he exudes in the play calling. Some of us thought he would need to be tethered from antics, but likely to Coach Saban's credit, he has been an enthusiastic and humble addition to this program.

tidefan26

1st Team
Dec 5, 2005
South Alabama
What he has done is nothing short of remarkable. It does make me wonder about our previous OC's and their development of BS. Is LK that mush better at developing QB's? I think this BS gives AJM all he wants in a QB competition personally.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I don't think I've ever been more proud of a player in 40 plus years of rooting for the Crimson Tide. The season really has been unbelievable. Looking at the stats posted above did anyone honestly think it would happen? Cooper is a great player, maybe the best receiver we've had but in my mind Blake is team MVP. If you witnessed the love his teammates were giving him on the sideline near the end of the game you know why.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

Your comment really ally does sum it up for me. He is the kind of guy Coach Bryant would love to coach. He gives 100% & just that little extra, that makes a winner. Coach Bryant would be so proud of this whole team, he won 6 NC's with teams like this.
BS running the wishbone under Coach would have been something to behold.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.