Sunday afternoon will be very interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Re: Tuesday will be very interesting

Guess this means we are going to a 8 team playoff and the big 12 are actually going to get 12 teams?

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
On the one hand, I applaud the committee for taking into account TCU's full resume when ranking them ahead of Baylor. But placing them so high in the rankings was a tactical error. They didn't leave themselves an out to move Baylor up or to replace TCU with another team.

And the Big 12 made a mistake by not declaring a single champion. They tried to play the co-champions angle on the off chance they might get two teams in. At the end of the day, I think that will cost them both slots.

1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. FSU
4. OSU
-------------
5. TCU
6. Baylor

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
On the one hand, I applaud the committee for taking into account TCU's full resume when ranking them ahead of Baylor. But placing them so high in the rankings was a tactical error. They didn't leave themselves an out to move Baylor up or to replace TCU with another team.

And the Big 12 made a mistake by not declaring a single champion. They tried to play the co-champions angle on the off chance they might get two teams in. At the end of the day, I think that will cost them both slots.

1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. FSU
4. OSU
-------------
5. TCU
6. Baylor
This I believe is where it ends up. But it will make the committee lok bad for putting TCU at 3 and TCU has the best loss and TCU took care of business yesterday.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I don't agree with everyone that they will look "foolish" moving #3 out of the top 4. They truly were giving their snapshot of what they think it looked like at that time. What you have are 4 interchangeable teams at #3-6 and they are going to rank them how they see fit taking into acct this weekend.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I don't agree with everyone that they will look "foolish" moving #3 out of the top 4. They truly were giving their snapshot of what they think it looked like at that time. What you have are 4 interchangeable teams at #3-6 and they are going to rank them how they see fit taking into acct this weekend.
It should be noted that none of this would be an issue right now if the committee would have simply given us the top 4 at the end of the season and didn't mess around ranking teams week to week.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
The committee really painted themselves into a corner by putting TCU 3rd. Logic would dictate that you can't drop them from 3 to 5 after a 52 point win. But that's what they'll do.

Briles ought to challenge the brass at the Big12 to a fight. He got screwed.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
OSU certainly played their best yesterday. However, let's not forget they've struggled in way too many games against inferior opponents. Overall TCU has a better resume.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
I think the committee will punish the Big XII teams for not having a conference championship, or even one conference champion. The 'one true champion' commercial really look silly now. I think the committee will also award Ohio State for destroying Wisconsin.

1. Bama
2. Oregon
3. Ohio State
4. FSU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
The committee really painted themselves into a corner by putting TCU 3rd. Logic would dictate that you can't drop them from 3 to 5 after a 52 point win. But that's what they'll do.

Briles ought to challenge the brass at the Big12 to a fight. He got screwed.
Here is logic

@Mark_Schlabach: Combined records of FBS teams they beat -- Ohio State (80-63), Baylor (55-64) and TCU (55-64)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
As a Buckeye, I am too biased to offer an opinion. My top 4 would obviously include OSU. But I want to point out that TCU and Baylor deserve to be in this just as much as we do. Ripping those teams to help build a case for OSU just isn't the way that I approach things in my life.

I believe that the Buckeyes closed out the season in as impressive a way as any team in the country with wins on the road against Michigan State and Minnesota (in a game with weather that helped them and hurt us) - and then CRUSHING a very hot Wisconsin team that had been steamrolling teams.

Will it be enough to overcome the loss to VT? I don't know. But I am just as proud of this OSU team as I am of Alabama.

Two fan bases are going to be very disappointed this afternoon. They will be able to make great cases for the inclusion of their teams, and no one will be able to convince them that they do not belong. But there are only 4 slots, and only one fan base is going to finish raising the most important trophy. It is part of life. Hopefully those fans show class instead of acting like the Oklahoma State fans a few years ago.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Re: Tuesday will be very interesting

OK, no one will agree with this, but here goes (and take your best shot).
Despite Wisconsin's defense (who have they played, again?), they were a one trick pony on offense, and always have been. Every team that has ever beaten them (even going back to BA's days), almost assuredly had to stop their running game (this year, just MG). Any team with a decent defense (sorry, Minnesota) should be able to do that. They have never had a quarterback who was a threat to beat you, or anything more than middling wide receivers (decent one here or there).
Now, OSU has a good team, I will give them that. I think the committee was waiting to see how Baylor performed; they beat KSU, 9th ranked. And looking at each team's losses, WVU>VT, based on who they beat and who they lost to.
I have no idea who the final 4 will be outside of Bama Oregon and FSU, but I am betting Baylor jumps TCU in the rankings in any event. This is going to strengthen the argument for increasing the number of teams in the playoffs, but that won't solve the problem; it still comes down to humans making subjective decisions, no matter how objective they try to be.
And as I posted before, even though I would like to see Bama curb stomp JW, it doesn't matter who Bama plays; to be the best, you have to beat the best.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
As a Buckeye, I am too biased to offer an opinion. My top 4 would obviously include OSU. But I want to point out that TCU and Baylor deserve to be in this just as much as we do. Ripping those teams to help build a case for OSU just isn't the way that I approach things in my life.

I believe that the Buckeyes closed out the season in as impressive a way as any team in the country with wins on the road against Michigan State and Minnesota (in a game with weather that helped them and hurt us) - and then CRUSHING a very hot Wisconsin team that had been steamrolling teams.

Will it be enough to overcome the loss to VT? I don't know. But I am just as proud of this OSU team as I am of Alabama.

Two fan bases are going to be very disappointed this afternoon. They will be able to make great cases for the inclusion of their teams, and no one will be able to convince them that they do not belong. But there are only 4 slots, and only one fan base is going to finish raising the most important trophy. It is part of life. Hopefully those fans show class instead of acting like the Oklahoma State fans a few years ago.
I think I'm unbiased in my opinion. I dislike OSU as much as TCU or Baylor but putting OSU in is the right thing to do IMO. The Big12 is just as weak as the Big10.
The conference championship and 13th game make too much of a difference to me.

Imagine us playing one less game. The chances of losing, injury, wear and tear, mental fatigue, etc etc go up considerably.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
It should be noted that none of this would be an issue right now if the committee would have simply given us the top 4 at the end of the season and didn't mess around ranking teams week to week.
Exactly. This controversy has been created by the committee itself, the one thing they were suppose to avoid is the one thing they've created all themselves because of their love with TCU.

I'm just tired of hearing about style points, quality wins, and game control metrics (something invented this year just to drop FSU). The one thing college fans have always wanted was for the results on the field to matter more than anything. That seems to be the last thing this committee considers, if not then Baylor would be ahead of TCU right now.

What OSU did yesterday, with a third string QB, was far more impressive then anything TCU or Baylor have done all year.

The top four teams IMO are:

1 Bama
2 Oregon
3 FSU
4 OSU

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
There's one big, shining reason that OSU should get in over TCU and Baylor, and it isn't the whooping they put on Wisconsin last night. It's their coach, Urban Meyer. He's the best coach in CFB after CNS, and he reminded us all last night after a quiet, under-the-radar one-loss season. Like him or not, the guy has achieved the highest level of success everywhere he's been. I like OSU to advance in the playoff over Baylor and TCU simply because of that guy. Give him a month to prepare, I'd take his squad over those two squads any day.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
No way will they want tOSU going to play an SEC champ. We know how that turns out ;). I think the Big 10 tie in historically will play a huge factor.

I think with ALL the big 12 carping about which of their two vaunted teams "deserved" it most it will be glorious to watch the meltdown in Texas.

Predictions:

Bama
Oregon
tOSU
Florida St.

Big 12 will scramble to add two teams or get the bylaws changed to add a championship game.

Bob Stoops will keep his mouth shut during the offseason. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.