Our Pass D Will Need to Improve...

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
If we are to ultimately win a nc this year, IMO. Great game yesterday all around but our guys ability, or lack thereof, to defend the deep ball still concerns me, and our level of competition goes way up starting jan. 1. Mauk's passing yds yesterday was his third highest total of the yr against anybody and we all know how Marshall lit us up last wk. it seems that we have the most trouble when opposing qb's are throwing after a roll out or while on the run. I realize corner is one of the most challenging positions to play in football, but I see our playoff opponents keying in on Eddie and Cyrus as a major part of their game plan. I hope the extra practice this month will enable us to make some needed improvements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I actually thought our D, run and pass, was pretty good. About half their yards came on four plays that we're essentially Hail Marys.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I actually thought our D, run and pass, was pretty good. About half their yards came on four plays that we're essentially Hail Marys.
yep, being at the game it was obvious. they could do nothing on offense except chuck the ball up and pray. on all four of those pass plays, maui was running for his life (and made very athletic throws while doing it)

yep, being at the game it was obvious. they could do nothing on offense except chuck the ball up and pray. on all four of those pass plays, maui was running for his life (and made very athletic throws while doing it)
That's what I saw as well. We had them bottled up for the vast majority of the game. They were really no threat.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
deliveryman 35. I am with you. our pass rush was good, better, than last year by far. even so, when a qb rolls out or gets away from the rush there is always a opportunity for a deep pass, even with two of our guys in the area. we seem to always have some mid range and deep openings in our defense. our corners just cannot cover well. even so our offense, and rush defense keeps us in the game. I do not like the possibility of facing a well protected Winston. I think he is the main threat to our pass defense. they have the big offensive line, and he has a great arm with a all American receiver in greene. the others do not have a excellent off line. even so, this is a fun team, and blake sims with lanes coaching is as good as there is this year. of course it does not hurt to have the best receiver in the country.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
The deep passes yesterday occurred when Mauck was escaping pressure and the receivers altered their routes to match his scramble. It's tough for any defense to keep up with receivers under those conditions. It's the same reason Manziel was successful with the deep ball. Play breaks down and the longer DBs are in coverage the harder it becomes to stay with the WR.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. Especially considering we won the last two games handily.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Look, if you have the QB running for his life and heaving it up for grabs your defense is doing its job. Playstation plays ain't a recipe for success. AU's passes worried me, Missouri's didn't. And I know I have harped on it but two of those passes involved flagrant offensive pass interference. The last one was a good play but the one before it was an inexcusable miss by the ref.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Over Half of Auburn's yards came from a handful of plays. The defensive line lost contain because of line stunting against MIZZOU. That allowed Mauk to roll to his left and throw downfield. Richard Sherman or Patrick Peterson can't cover a man for 6 seconds. When the QB is scrambling, the receivers are no longer running routes, they are Ad Libbing.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
op you are correct. our passing defense hasnt been on par with the rest of our defense all year. i've seen it since the west virginia game. good thing for us is, unlike the nfl you can still win with 1 problem area on ur team.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.