Fix our deep ball defense.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Ohio State will be a run up the gut and throw deep offense on us in the Sugar Bowl. We'll be ready.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Saban is about "embracing the moment" and continuing the "process" for the future!
He was almost rude to the sideline reporter after the game (Allie?). Her first question was about the playoffs and he let her know he wanted to talk about the championship we'd just won... :)

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Do we teach our CBs to turn and find the ball or watch the receiver's eyes ? especially early in the season, our guys turned so rarely I assumed they had been taught not to. Anyone know ?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Do we teach our CBs to turn and find the ball or watch the receiver's eyes ? especially early in the season, our guys turned so rarely I assumed they had been taught not to. Anyone know ?
I have zero organized football experience. But I did get to hear Joe Kines talk about this issue with my own ears.

Kines said that whether the DB should look for the ball depends on whether he's "in phase" with the WR. I'm sure Kines would have a more detailed and elegant definition of "in phase," but to a layman like me, it's essentially "good coverage, step for step with the WR."

If the DB is in phase, he's taught to look for the ball when the WR does.

If he's not in phase, even if it's by a half-step, he's taught to disrupt the catch (knock the ball out of hands, rake it on the way down, etc.) rather than knock it away. Reason being, time and time again, when the DB isn't in phase, and he looks back, the WR inevitably pulls a little further away.

Kines also said it was one of the hardest things to teach an elite athlete -- to admit, even to himself, that he's beat, even if it's only by a foot or less. They're so used to compensating for that sort of thing by being the most dominant athlete on the field, they just can't internalize that they might not be able to get away with being just a few inches out of position.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Saban already addressed this few years ago.. I can't remember an article I posted here on TF forum, but there's another one I found interesting... http://brophyfootball.blogspot.com/2009/10/nick-saban-middle-of-field-safety.html

I have zero organized football experience. But I did get to hear Joe Kines talk about this issue with my own ears.

Kines said that whether the DB should look for the ball depends on whether he's "in phase" with the WR. I'm sure Kines would have a more detailed and elegant definition of "in phase," but to a layman like me, it's essentially "good coverage, step for step with the WR."

If the DB is in phase, he's taught to look for the ball when the WR does.

If he's not in phase, even if it's by a half-step, he's taught to disrupt the catch (knock the ball out of hands, rake it on the way down, etc.) rather than knock it away. Reason being, time and time again, when the DB isn't in phase, and he looks back, the WR inevitably pulls a little further away.

Kines also said it was one of the hardest things to teach an elite athlete -- to admit, even to himself, that he's beat, even if it's only by a foot or less. They're so used to compensating for that sort of thing by being the most dominant athlete on the field, they just can't internalize that they might not be able to get away with being just a few inches out of position.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I think the answer is clear -- we should quit rushing the passer -- and just keep the QBs in the pocket...... (which to my knowledge was how we were doing it the last few years when some of our fans were complaining about our lack of pass rush......)

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Going back and looking at the play-by-play on rolltide.com, our D gave up 38 pass plays of 20+ yards this season and 7 more that were 18-19 yards. That's 45 pass plays of 18+ yards over 13 games, an average of almost 3.5 per game. The play-by-play only describes the type of passes for home games (deep, flat, etc); away games just describes it as 'pass'. For home games, 19 of these were deep balls. That's more than 2 per game at home. For those who think this is a random issue, it's just not so. It's a trend. And not a good one.

The bad news is: Oregon and Ohio State are the two most efficient passing teams in the country. The good news is: I don't think they've faced a defense like ours all season.

Our front four are going to have to do one heckuva job getting pressure on those QBs to rattle them.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
First, the auburn throws were not the same as the Missouri throws. Auburn ran designed vertical throws. The defensive backs are getting burned deep, and it's happening with regularity. Close to ten deep vertical passes completed in two games is an alarming pace with two more games to play.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Yall also have to look at the defense that was called. Alabama seems to have stopped playing cover 2 and cover 3 defensive schemes. We seem to be using some combo man with cover 1. Our safeties have their own responsibilities and can only bail once they see the ball in the air. Its more of a scheme thing.

scoretide

Suspended
Nov 26, 2010
Boaz, Alabama
Aginast Mizzou ! It was basically throw it up and hope for a Prayer. NO ROUTE ! WR broke off his route to give QB A TARGET. I think our D will be fine.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Going back and looking at the play-by-play on rolltide.com, our D gave up 38 pass plays of 20+ yards this season and 7 more that were 18-19 yards. That's 45 pass plays of 18+ yards over 13 games, an average of almost 3.5 per game. The play-by-play only describes the type of passes for home games (deep, flat, etc); away games just describes it as 'pass'. For home games, 19 of these were deep balls. That's more than 2 per game at home. For those who think this is a random issue, it's just not so. It's a trend. And not a good one.

The bad news is: Oregon and Ohio State are the two most efficient passing teams in the country. The good news is: I don't think they've faced a defense like ours all season.

Our front four are going to have to do one heckuva job getting pressure on those QBs to rattle them.
A pass of 20 yards isn't that big of a deal in today's football. I posted this chart about why Alabama might not have played the verticals against Auburn (thus the rows about Marshall and Johnson). I found Bama gave up a total of 13 passes of 30+ yards given up by this defense prior to last night's game.

I'm more worried about what Auburn did compared to what Mizzou did last night. Those were desperation throws, and at least one should have been offensive pass interference.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
I agree we gotta get better but when you lose a junior to the first round of the NFL draft every year, it's tough.

When the Line backers are having a big game out DB's look very good.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
A pass of 20 yards isn't that big of a deal in today's football. I posted this chart about why Alabama might not have played the verticals against Auburn (thus the rows about Marshall and Johnson). I found Bama gave up a total of 13 passes of 30+ yards given up by this defense prior to last night's game.

I'm more worried about what Auburn did compared to what Mizzou did last night. Those were desperation throws, and at least one should have been offensive pass interference.
There were only six schools in FBS that averaged more than 15 yds per completion for the season; so a 20 yard completion is pretty significant. Ask Coach Saban if giving up a 20 yard pass 'isn't a big deal.' (especially when it was 3rd and 9 or more) 13 pass completions of 30+ yards over 12 games is averaging more than 1 per game. That's a trend; not a fluke as some are stating. Missouri's deep balls last night in and of themselves are not something that should be worried about; but added to all of the others, they most certainly are. All three of the teams left for us to face probably pose more vertical potential that just about every team we've faced this season. I'm not saying the sky is falling (I believe we're going to win the whole thing); but it definitely is a weakness for our team.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
On the bright side ...... If they don't score on the play we usually come away with a red zone stop!

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
on both of those plays a DL was in pursuit but slipped and fell down giving him a split second to heave that pass down the field. we just need better shoes

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.