So the 4 team playoff didn't even make it 1 year without controversy, how long till 8

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
What do y'all think? 2 years? 3?

Will they mandate the big 12 play a championship game as they should?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The NCAA would have to approve a Big XII title game unless they expand so the playoff people (not an NCAA group) can't force them to have one.

FF4bama

1st Team
Sep 13, 2012
I still don't think any #7 or #8 team has a legitimate claim to a title. I know it has been posted here before, but if the playoff must expand then go to 6 teams with the #1 and #2 teams getting a bye in the first round. That allows for all 5 conference champs to have a shot plus one at-large bid.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

all the anti-playoff people were right. (i was one of them). We tried to tell you. 8 teams is ridiculous, but it will happen and it might even happen next year.

as far as the big 12(-2) is concerned, the only thing that would make it funnier was if there was a 3 way tie.

jaakRTR

3rd Team
Nov 21, 2010
Lexington Alabama
I still don't think any #7 or #8 team has a legitimate claim to a title. I know it has been posted here before, but if the playoff must expand then go to 6 teams with the #1 and #2 teams getting a bye in the first round. That allows for all 5 conference champs to have a shot plus one at-large bid.
I agree 100%. I was just about to say the same thing.

Jason

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

The tv contracts for the CFP run for 12 years. They can be renegotiated of course, but that takes time.

I don't think the CFP can mandate that the Big 12 play a championship. They only have 10 members and NCAA rules require 12 members for a championship game.

A big question I have with the CFP is attendance. It costs a LOT of money to attend a bowl game, and it's hard to attend one, let alone two. That would only get worse if they expanded to 8 teams. IF they were to go 8 teams (which I do NOT want, btw), they should consider having the quarter final games at the home stadiums rather than a bowl.

Hooks4bama

1st Team
Oct 16, 2005
Montgomery
I recall them saying that this system has a contract for 5 years. If that is true....then 2020.

The playoff system is contracted to be in place through at least the 2025 season per an agreement with ESPN, which owns the rights to broadcast all games.[SUP][11][/SUP] The network reportedly paid $7.3 billion overall for the 12-year TV rights.
So 2025...

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
People are overreacting when we haven't even had the 1st playoff play out yet. This is a rare year to have this many 1-loss or less teams in the Top 6.

It needs to stay 4 teams. Usually there would only be 3 teams with 1 or less losses and #4 and lower would be 2 loss teams.

A 6 or 8 team playoff would open Pandora's Box to 2 or even 3 loss teams having a chance to get hot late and win a title which would completely diminish the regular season. It would be like the Giants winning those SuperBowls with 7 losses. Ridiculous.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Pretty sure this format is under contract for the next 6 years or so. Just like they couldn't change the BCS until it's contract was up..

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Here's what you do:

Take Rivals Recruiting rankings from the previous year and have the top 128 teams play a seeded tournament. One loss and you're out. That'd give you plenty of games. Then have the championship be best two out of three.

You're welcome.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
all the anti-playoff people were right. (i was one of them). We tried to tell you. 8 teams is ridiculous, but it will happen and it might even happen next year.

as far as the big 12(-2) is concerned, the only thing that would make it funnier was if there was a 3 way tie.
I was and remain one as well. I didn't like the BCS but it beat this. For me this died when MSU went for the political points against us rather than trying to win the game, even if the try would have been futile.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I was and remain one as well. I didn't like the BCS but it beat this. For me this died when MSU went for the political points against us rather than trying to win the game, even if the try would have been futile.
I'm with you on that. i preferred the bcd with its problems to a playoff

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
6 teams, with the top 2 getting a bye?

BTW, the BCS would have produced a huge controversy this year, too. The two best teams are clearly Alabama and Oregon, but one would be left out for FSU.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
6 teams, with the top 2 getting a bye?

BTW, the BCS would have produced a huge controversy this year, too. The two best teams are clearly Alabama and Oregon, but one would be left out for FSU.
i agree with those who are proposing the 6 team format.

I will add to that idea though that teams without a conference championship game should have an additional entry game. Make the Big 12's "One True Champion" square off in a pre-qualifying game against the highest ranked non-p5 champ. That would be fun to watch

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.