Official "What Ohio State fans are saying about the matchup" thread

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
For what it's worth I have lived in Columbus for 7 years now. Great place to live. I grew up in Pennsylvania, graduated from UA in 2000 and my family now lives outside of Montgomery. PA is my home and I love it there, but Columbus is really a growing area and is a great place to raise a family.

Fan wise, Buckeye fans are just like Tide fans. There really is very little difference. There are great fans and there are jerks and you will probably run into both. I run into them here and I'm sure it's the same situation for any Buckeye fan who lives in the Birmingham/Tuscaloosa region.

Also, rural Ohio isn't any different than a trip to Slap Out, AL.
My college roommate was from Slap Out! Not many people know where Slap Out or there is even a town by that name.

p'colabamaman

All-SEC
Sep 16, 2008
Pace, FL.
For what it's worth I have lived in Columbus for 7 years now. Great place to live. I grew up in Pennsylvania, graduated from UA in 2000 and my family now lives outside of Montgomery. PA is my home and I love it there, but Columbus is really a growing area and is a great place to raise a family.

Fan wise, Buckeye fans are just like Tide fans. There really is very little difference. There are great fans and there are jerks and you will probably run into both. I run into them here and I'm sure it's the same situation for any Buckeye fan who lives in the Birmingham/Tuscaloosa region.

Also, rural Ohio isn't any different than a trip to Slap Out, AL.[/QUOTE]
Funny you should mention Slap-out. Some folks might think that's a ficticious name, but it's not. I have some very good friends that live there, even though they're all barners. I also have a friend that lives in Rushylvania, OH. That's about as far out in the boonies as Slap-out.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Years ago, when I was in law school, one of my jobs was working as an income tax auditor for the state department of revenue. I had to chase down numerous chains of real estate titles. Back before the Civil War, lengths of sides of parcels were measured in conventional "chains." Around the war time and for maybe five years after the close, those descriptions changed into "sticks" and "outs." I went questioning older lawyers to ask what it meant. Finally, one really old guy told me that, during the war, and immediately after, all iron had to go into the war effort. (There was actually "chain-shot" for cannons.) So, they adopted a stick of an agreed-upon length (forget what it was). Every "out" equated to ten sticks. IOW, you measured off ten sticks and then you were "out." It worked. Nothing any more arbitrary than the length of a chain, except for getting a decent measurement in rough enough terrain, hard enough even with a chain. A measurement would be, for example, 10 outs and 2 sticks. Once you had the formula, it was easy. I always thought "Slapout" probably had a colorful story, like "Lick Skillet" near Huntsville. I think "Lick Skillet" was the original name of Oxford, AL. Of course, further down is "Toad Hop, AL." The names in the Smokies are also a hoot. There's one ridge named "Curry He," in English. It was a very rough transliteration of the name of a herb, "Guru." The original name was "Guru Hi," or, "Curry Here." The English settlers heard it as "he," so it was natural to name an adjacent peak as "Curry She." Then, Cherokee lacked the consonant "V." The Confederates gathered the Indians together and asked them which ridge was the best for a road over the mountains for transporting ammunition. After the Cherokee voted, the road was named "Bote Mountain Road," which it remains until today. An adjacent ridge lost and was promptly named "Defeat Ridge." :D

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
... I always thought "Slapout" probably had a colorful story ...
I have a cousin who lives there. If I remember correctly it just means they are "Slap out of Wetumpka." The actual name of the town is Holtville.

As for OSU fans. I have never really had a bad experience with one.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have a cousin who lives there. If I remember correctly it just means they are "Slap out of Wetumpka." The actual name of the town is Holtville.

As for OSU fans. I have never really had a bad experience with one.
That's one. Another is that the guy who used to have a general store there, when he ran out of something, was fond of saying he was "slap out" of it... :)

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
um didn't tOSU win because of a phantom pass interference call?
Yes technically they did buuuttttt.....it probably shouldn't have come down to that nor should the game have ever reached overtime. During regulation before Miami's final drive to kick the tying FG, OSU's QB on a 3rd and long threw a pass that Chirs Gamble appeared to have (no instant replay in 2002) caught in bounds but was ruled out forcing them to punt. Miami had no timeouts left so OSU could have run the clock out. Also on that same drive Gamble was held and the refs totally missed it which also would have given OSU a first down and let them run the clock out.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yes technically they did buuuttttt.....it probably shouldn't have come down to that nor should the game have every reached overtime. During regulation before Miami's final drive to kick the tying FG, OSU's QB on a 3rd and long threw a pass that Chirs Gamble appeared to have (no instant replay in 2002) caught in bounds but was ruled out forcing them to punt. Miami had no timeouts left so OSU could have run the clock out. Also on that same drive Gamble was held and the refs totally missed it which also would have given OSU a first down and let them run the clock out.
Thank you!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
um didn't tOSU win because of a phantom pass interference call?
No, that's one of the myths.

Games are so rarely won or lost solely because of bad calls that it isn't worth talking about.

1) Miami only rushed for 65 yards. There's a reason we say college ball is "run, stop the run, and win the turnover battle."

2) Miami lost THREE FUMBLES and threw TWO INTERCEPTIONS. Maybe if they hadn't turned the ball over FIVE TIMES they'd have won.

3) The Buckeyes held the ball for EIGHTEEN MORE MINUTES than the Canes did.

4) Ohio State sacked Ken Dorsey FOUR TIMES and gave up one.

5) In the second overtime, Miami had first and goal.... AT THE TWO-YARD LINE.....and got no points.

If it makes people feel better then yeah, go ahead and say they lost because of the refs then go ahead and say that. Just know it has no basis in reality.

And neither does any Buckeye fan who pretends they somehow destroyed Miami's program. Miami was undone in part by moving out of the cushy Big East and into the ACC, which is hardly a powerhouse but is certainly more challenging. Their days of playing 1-2 decent foes a year ended then, and the Buckeyes didn't have a thing in the world to do with it. (They're right that Coker had no business getting the job but in light of the actions of Jim Tressel, I'd stay away from talking about coaches).

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
No, that's one of the myths.

Games are so rarely won or lost solely because of bad calls that it isn't worth talking about.

1) Miami only rushed for 65 yards. There's a reason we say college ball is "run, stop the run, and win the turnover battle."

2) Miami lost THREE FUMBLES and threw TWO INTERCEPTIONS. Maybe if they hadn't turned the ball over FIVE TIMES they'd have won.

3) The Buckeyes held the ball for EIGHTEEN MORE MINUTES than the Canes did.

4) Ohio State sacked Ken Dorsey FOUR TIMES and gave up one.

5) In the second overtime, Miami had first and goal.... AT THE TWO-YARD LINE.....and got no points.

If it makes people feel better then yeah, go ahead and say they lost because of the refs then go ahead and say that. Just know it has no basis in reality.

And neither does any Buckeye fan who pretends they somehow destroyed Miami's program. Miami was undone in part by moving out of the cushy Big East and into the ACC, which is hardly a powerhouse but is certainly more challenging. Their days of playing 1-2 decent foes a year ended then, and the Buckeyes didn't have a thing in the world to do with it. (They're right that Coker had no business getting the job but in light of the actions of Jim Tressel, I'd stay away from talking about coaches).
Let's not forget when the late Sean Taylor your intercepted the ball in the end zone ran it out for about 25 yards and Maurice Clarett ran him down from behind and stripped it away from him. OSU ended up getting 3 points out of that. Heck even the one of the commentators made a reference to George Teague.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.