Official "What Ohio State fans are saying about the matchup" thread

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
I have. I don't see anything wrong with the safeties.

Are you sure you have been watching Bama games. We have been vunerable to the long bombs all season long, and so far, we have not been able to stop them, even with two defenders around their receiver. Their QB, although third string, proved he can launch the long ones and have success. Yes, Ohio State certainly will be a threat. This game is no push over.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
I am already getting the trash talk here from osu grads. They are all of the sudden everywhere in the Tampa Bay Area. What's really strange is getting severe trash talk from people, that I deal with on a daily basis and know that I don't trash talk. I hope our fans don't do this across the country. It's embarrassing to witness....I just shake my head.

Are you sure you have been watching Bama games. We have been vunerable to the long bombs all season long, and so far, we have not been able to stop them, even with two defenders around their receiver. Their QB, although third string, proved he can launch the long ones and have success. Yes, Ohio State certainly will be a threat. This game is no push over.
I don't and have not seen issues with our safeties. I have seen issues at one CB position when we go one on one that have come up in only a hand full of games. And those aren't major issues. They've away from Cyrus and picked on one side of the field. Our safeties are fine.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
It would be a shame if Ohio State's quarterback gets tackled so rudely he needs to sit down to gather himself.
Do they have a fourth-string guy ready to go?

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
Things I've learned from living in the midwest:

I believe the the mid-western parlance for "redneck" is "hoosier", often abbreviated to simply "hoos" (pronounced Hoo-zjsh).
Examples:
"Using the stroller to carry that case of schlitz to the playground while you make your toddler walk from the car is pretty hoos."
"You need to fix the refrigerator or throw it out, but get it off the front porch immediately. The neighbors are going to think we're total hoosiers."

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Again, vunerable to the long balls? I don't think we saw many of those until the last two games...

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
I don't and have not seen issues with our safeties. I have seen issues at one CB position when we go one on one that have come up in only a hand full of games. And those aren't major issues. They've away from Cyrus and picked on one side of the field. Our safeties are fine.
We will have to agree to disagree on our safeties, as I see it as the only shortcoming our team has.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I am already getting the trash talk here from osu grads. They are all of the sudden everywhere in the Tampa Bay Area. What's really strange is getting severe trash talk from people, that I deal with on a daily basis and know that I don't trash talk. I hope our fans don't do this across the country. It's embarrassing to witness....I just shake my head.
Fans of teams like Ohio State, Michigan, ND ... they have to get their trash talk in early ;)

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
The term comes from striking miners in WV and, yes, eastern Ohio, identifying themselves by tying a red bandana around their necks...
Many experts believe it goes back even further to Scotland in the 1600's as many of the people who settled Appalachia were Scottish-Irish in decent. Ditto for hillbilly. Not everyone agrees on the origins, though. Either way, I strangely don't feel very insulted when a bunch of yankees who don't even have a clue whatsoever about the meaning or origin or the terms used by them to try to insult Southerners. They always have thought they are better than us in just about every way. That's a big part of the reason that Alabama football has been so important through the years. And now the South has advanced so far socioeconomically that we are ahead or getting there in many important areas. And they can't stand it. I just chuckle inside because I know the truth about them, even if they don't think I do. Bless their little yankee hearts!

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
From what I have seen, Nick Perry and Landon both have played very well this season. Geno as well.
Yeah, our safety tandem is probably the best in the sec. Our corners are our weak spot... but the Missouri game was a product of losing contain and extending plays. No corner can cover a good receiver for 8-10 seconds. none. the fact is that Jackson, cyrus, landon and perry individually would start on any team in the country. maybe jackson or cyrus would be the number 2 guy, but they would start. same goes with perry. and collins is a top 3 safety in college football.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Yeah, our safety tandem is probably the best in the sec. Our corners are our weak spot... but the Missouri game was a product of losing contain and extending plays.
That was driving me absolutely stark raving mad on Saturday. Pass rushers coming in too hot and out of control, letting Maty Mauk get outside the ends, then heaving the ball way down field.
It was the only thing about the performance that was not excellent, and this one error happened four times with the exact same result: a very long pass completion.
I hope the D-line players (esp. the defensive ends) realize that they do not have to get to the QB in 1.1 seconds, but they absolutely cannot let the QB outside of them, because a QB outside the ends will hang our DBs out to dry.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.