Official "What Ohio State fans are saying about the matchup" thread

Tider@GW_Law

All-American
Sep 16, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Wish I was as confident as some here. Due to OSU friends/colleagues, I've watched a few of their games, including the last one. That team passes the eye test and will give us trouble. That QB has potential and makes great plays on instinct, but I think, if we keep him contained to the pocket and continually mix-up coverage, their offense sputters.

As far as the other part of this discussion goes, I can't see myself ever leaving Northern California.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Ever hear the joke that Pennsylvania is Philadelphia on one end, Pittsburgh on the other and Alabama in the middle?
Having lived in Filthydelphia and armPITtsburgh (both against my will), as well as Birmingham, I would have to take exception to that.

Yes, Alabama has some very poor areas. If anyone remembers the movie The Deer Hunter, that is an accurate portrayal of the middle of the state. Including places right outside (if not inside) Pittsburgh.

A lot of eastern Ohio is not much different, except for the flat(ter) farming areas.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
They have just as many "rednecks" as southern states. I have seen people out here and up in NY, Ohio fly the Confederate flag (and not for heritage).
OK, one more digression from football..........

If you are on I-71, heading up to Columbus, from Cincy, there is a farm house, on the south side of the highway, that has a LARGE Confederate flag painted on the roof. It isn't as clearly visible, as it was >40 years ago. But, I could still make it out, last summer, when we drove up their for Mom's funeral.

OK.........one last thing.............since someone mentioned Kentucky............

Dig out your history books, and read up on the Whiskey Rebellion. A lot of the Scots-Irish, from western PA, moved down to moonshine country, to get as far away from the revenuers as possible. So, at one time, they were all yankees.

OK, enough history and kvetching about up north.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Cooper is listed at 6'1", and Black and Jones are listed at 5'11". White is listed at 6'. They aren't the 6'4" guys, but they have an advantage over most DBs. When we use OJ as a WR, he's easily in the 6'4" category...
Sorry - by "we" I meant OSU. I was simply pointing out that our WRs are not the same type of threat that has presented problems to Alabama's DBs in the past. We have very skilled and fast WRs, but they are not huge.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
The last thread, why do Bama fans go to other sites, start threads that make comparisons favorable to Alabama ? I don't get that. That isn't football talk. I am really ready to jettison a sizable portion of our fanbase. Seriously. That isn't the way coach Bryant would do it. Or would want it done.

Secondly, why is it that the first response from an opposing team fanbase usually has something to do with teeth, trailer parks, farm animals or incest. Can't people think of something witty or intelligent?

I have really lost faith in my fellow man. I weep for future generations in football and life.

Passion for your team and program is one thing....but some these folks are so full of vitriol and bias it's more like an embarrassment!

Hang in there Bamaga.....thankfully the majority of fans are not like this - as evidenced by this forum for example. :)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The thing I've noticed with OSU is that they've really developed on their offensive line over the season. You can tell in year three that Meyer has started molding this team into something like the prime Florida years. This OL reminds me of the crew with Pouncey twins...the spread lures some into thinking finesse OL but they're actually maulers like our best OLs. The defense has looked great this year. I definitely think they're better than some of the previous iterations but you have to wonder if the general poor quality of Big Ten offense may help the numbers. It is a sound scheme though...cover-4 is a common approach like their conference opponent Sparty.

Overall, I don't know if the line for this game is crazy. You have to wonder about a 3rd stringer in his second start after Saban has all month to prepare. It could go poorly for OSU but they have a bunch of things going on that wouldn't make me write them off.

ohiotide14

1st Team
Jan 3, 2012
Youngstown, OH
Do not forget Wisconsin lost to Northwestern, barely beat Illinois, and Iowa gave them all they could take. Consider the opponent tOSU beat. Very hard to give a passing eye test grade against subpar competition. Its like running your offense against the jayvees, of course youre going to look good.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yeah, it isn't a slam dunk that OSU is better than TCU or Baylor...but I do know that I'd trust a coach like Meyer to matchup with elite coaches more than Briles and the Big-12 disgraced the process in general.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Spent a lot of time in Indiana the last few Summers. Seems like a lot of the Midwest is pretty redneck once you get out the metros.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Spent a lot of time in Indiana the last few Summers. Seems like a lot of the Midwest is pretty redneck once you get out the metros.
That's how it is in places up north. Get out of NYC, Chicago, Detroit, Cincy, Cleveland, Philly, Pittsburgh, Boston, Minneapolis, Indianapolis etc... There are people just as "country" as people down south. I'm speaking from first hand accounts from other Marines I served with.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Indiana is the only place where I've seen a guy get out of his truck with no shirt on...walk all the way to the walmart door then turn around only to pick a crusty wifebeater out of the back of his truck bed. At least in rural Alabama, most people show up dressed albeit sometimes regrettably so.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.