A clear message was sent to the Big 12 ....

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
They had better find a way to get back to 12 teams with a CCG before next season .

Possibilities ? I'm thinking any 2 from this group - Colorado St. , Boise St. , BYU and Cincinnati with Air Force , Rice and Houston as long shots .

Thoughts ?

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
They will likely expand, but unlikely that it will happen before next season.

Boise State and BYU would be best from a competitiveness and geography standpoint.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I think thumbing their nose at the committee should cost that moron of a commissioner his job. I don't think the committee took too kindly to their attempt at manipulating the committee's little play toy.

Cincinnati and Boise to expand their geographic footprint and to help balance divisions.

Or, Rice and Houston so they could have "Texas" and "Everybody else" divisions. :)

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
It's hard to switch conferences in just a few months. Schedules and contracts are set, and getting out of them is expensive or impossible.

My guess is that they petition the NCAA for relief on the 12-team rule for 2015, promising to have 12 teams by the 2016 season.

But if I were the school presidents, I wouldn't want that tapdancing blowhard commissioner negotiating on either point. They need a new commissioner first, new teams second. That guy's an idjit.

bamakeeb

3rd Team
May 2, 2011
Rice and UH would jump at the chance. It's kind of like putting the old gang back together. It would also make sense the current teams could add easy wins. I'm thinking the Big 12 doesn't really want a real challenge. Honestly, with the addition of WVa, the big 12 is really a disfunctional conference. I could see some combo of CSU/Boise/BYU but that really spreads them out. Still, they had CU forever so these areas are somewhat traditional. But, WVa? That's just weird.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
They had better find a way to get back to 12 teams with a CCG before next season .

Possibilities ? I'm thinking any 2 from this group - Colorado St. , Boise St. , BYU and Cincinnati with Air Force , Rice and Houston as long shots .

Thoughts ?
Okay, the message was sent. Did the Big 12-2 hear the message? I guess we will know in the next year, but UT controls the Big 12-2. If I was one of the two schools they were looking at to join, my first question would be, "are we going to have a Big 12-2+2 Network, you know like the very successful SEC Network? The LHN will not do the job!

markthomas

Dec 25, 2008
Killen, Al
They have been saying "one" true champion all season but in the end they didn't declare one. Even with a head to head matchup. They were playing games and it cost them.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
They don't have to have 12 teams. They just need a waiver from the NCAA. That was discussed today on the CFP show..

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Okay, the message was sent. Did the Big 12-2 hear the message? I guess we will know in the next year, but UT controls the Big 12-2. If I was one of the two schools they were looking at to join, my first question would be, "are we going to have a Big 12-2+2 Network, you know like the very successful SEC Network? The LHN will not do the job!
Excellent point. I will never understand why the rest of the league kowtows to Austin. Sure, they need the state of Texas to have a successful conference. I do not, however, think the University of Texas is a necessary prerequisite.

As long as they have unequal distribution of conference funds, they will face an uphill battle getting and keeping worthwhile teams. Nebraska and aTm made the right moves in declining to continue indentured servitude, and for the life of me, I don't understand why Oklahoma sticks around.

The Longhorns circled the rest of the conference up to form a firing squad. For reasons I can't fathom, the group collectively executed their own competitiveness and credibility.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They don't have to have 12 teams. They just need a waiver from the NCAA. That was discussed today on the CFP show..
Given what happened this year, I would bet that they would get it approved if they applied. I doubt that they will. They are led by Texas, and Texas doesn't care that TCU and Baylor were just left out. Texas is all about Texas, as is the Big 12.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
Without support and influence from the "power" conferences , receiving a waiver is pretty much a pipe dream .

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
I'd love to think they were left out due to Bowlsby's shameless politicking. Karma's a <insert phrase that won't get me banned here>, isn't she?

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

Thoughts ?
I agree, and I am glad they did. I hope the Big 12 joins the party with extra teams and a championship. However, they may also think about how close they were to possibly having two of the four teams. If OSU and FSU had lost, the big 12 would probably have had two. They can keep gambling and hope it pays off on some years.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.