Link: Want to get a glimpse of what's wrong with the CFP committee? Read this....

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
This article details some of Art Briles' comments about the playoff committee and his take that the Big 12 (10?) didn't have proper representation (despite having Oliver Luck on the committee, but whatever). I'm not even posting this to debate whether Briles has a point or not. I'm posting it show why the committee is fundamentally flawed. It's all about political maneuvering and regional jockeying to get the results to come out in your favor, and it's going to get worse. You can see it and feel it in this interview. When Briles says that losing Archie Manning off the committee basically sunk them, that speaks volumes to just how completely jacked up this whole process really is. Losing one guy off the committee kept Baylor out of the playoffs? Really? Not sure I buy it, but if there's even a hint of truth to that statement then that should tell you all you need to know. I can't believe college football, as great as it is, has mortgaged the future with this nonsense. I don't care if the committee happened to get it right this year or not (OSU, Va Tech says hi) but it is just set up for rampant lobbying and corruption going forward. What a hot mess....

http://espn.go.com/college-football...-bears-says-playoff-committee-no-big-12-voice

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It is the basketball tournament committee on steroids. With the basketball committee there has always been political maneuvering and regional jockeying to get the results to come out in favor of this or that team or conference. It's just that in basketball you're working with 68 teams so the fallout isn't so bad.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Whoever is #5 will make this argument no matter what. That doesn't make them right. Baylor had 3 bye weeks, did not play a championship game, played a horrible OOC, and lost to mediocre WVA team. Baylor may feel jilted, but there is no justification for saying they got shafted.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
He's basically saying that since there is no one on the committee "who is familiar with the Big 12", then we can't possibly know the teams and their resumes. I don't buy that. While I think the committee is inept, I do not believe that they are not any less knowledgeable on the Big 12 than they are with the Pac12 or SEC. I think the committee is as knowledgeable on any conference as it can possibly be but to say the Big 12 is singled out is sour grapes and a convenient excuse. Strengthen your schedule (OOC especially), have a championship game and Baylor would have gotten in over Ohio State. Easily. The Big 12 is by far the biggest hypocrites when things don't go their way.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
This article details some of Art Briles' comments about the playoff committee and his take that the Big 12 (10?) didn't have proper representation (despite having Oliver Luck on the committee, but whatever). I'm not even posting this to debate whether Briles has a point or not. I'm posting it show why the committee is fundamentally flawed. It's all about political maneuvering and regional jockeying to get the results to come out in your favor, and it's going to get worse. You can see it and feel it in this interview. When Briles says that losing Archie Manning off the committee basically sunk them, that speaks volumes to just how completely jacked up this whole process really is. Losing one guy off the committee kept Baylor out of the playoffs? Really? Not sure I buy it, but if there's even a hint of truth to that statement then that should tell you all you need to know. I can't believe college football, as great as it is, has mortgaged the future with this nonsense. I don't care if the committee happened to get it right this year or not (OSU, Va Tech says hi) but it is just set up for rampant lobbying and corruption going forward. What a hot mess....

http://espn.go.com/college-football...-bears-says-playoff-committee-no-big-12-voice

What sunk the Big12 was not having to play an extra (13th) game against a quality opponent, while every other team did (and won convincingly).

and for the cream, having their conference declare co-champions muddied the water even more.

The committee got it right. in the last game of the season, Alabama beat a ranked missouri in the SEC championship game, Ohio State destroyed a highly rakked Wisconsin team in the Big 10 championship game, Oregon beat a highly ranked Arizona in the PAC12 championship, and Florida state remained the only undefeated team by beating a ranked Georgia Tech team in the ACC championship game....all while the big 12 played thier 12th game (TCU against a 2-9 team).

Every conference BUT the Big12 declared "One True Champion' (...so much for the big12 motto, huh...), played an additional game against a quality opponent and only got two bye weeks during the season....

Should the big 12 be rewarded for playing less games and having more time to rest?

The committee got it right.

Last edited:

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Briles is hardly a disinterested, unbiased observer though. It's pretty strained logic for him to assert that losing Archie Manning on the committee had anything to do with the Big 12 not getting a representative.

The bottom line is that neither TCU or Baylor did enough this year for either of them to be taken over a 1-loss B1G champ.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
That's just Art Briles making sour-grape-comments in order to get attention. He's yet to make a comment that makes sense. I'm not taking any comment from him as something credible because he continues to show he's upset and wants everyone to know about it.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Hey Art, you make want to ooc schedule better than SMU, Buffalo and Northwestern State.....and add a conference championship, as well. Baylor and TCU did this to themselves. Deal with it.

James Eagle

1st Team
Aug 9, 2011
North Georgia
The Committee got it right. Briles should stop making these embarrassing comments that sound like sour grapes. Take the Gary Patterson high road and learn from this experience.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
This is the same Art Briles that has said they didn't need to strengthen their OOC schedule, it was fine, they didn't need to have a conference CG. Their body of work playing in the big12 was good enough.

Apparently he thought leaving the starters in with a 40 point lead in the 4th against inferior teams would score them enough style points for his team and enough Heisman talk for his QB.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
You guys are missing the point. I also believe Briles is speaking mostly from sour grapes and he was really done in by his own conference's stupidity. My point though is that the whole setup, that even allows him the opportunity to whine about "representation on the committee" is in and of itself a problem. I think the committee probably got it right this year, but my point is that it's much easier to influence a smaller group of people with his type of whining and complaining and the whole setup is asking for trouble. Someone will listen to Briles and his ilk at some point and eventually screw the whole thing up even worse. That's the point I was trying to make, not trying to debate whether Baylor belonged or not.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby tells Dan Patrick he would have put TCU ahead of Baylor if he was on the committee. Before Art tries to convince a 13 member committee, he might want to talk to his own conference commissioner.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Even FSU played a tougher schedule than Baylor (whip played the weakest schedule of the top 5).

Stop losing games to unranked teams and play somebody with a pulse OOC and you might have an argument. Otherwise, shut yer trap, Briles - you're already whining as much as Bowden did and it took him years to build to that point...

Oh, and enjoy NOT being the playoffs.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
1262 Ohio State 1265 Baylor that is not a compelling argument that the AP voters wanted Baylor over Ohio State. Consider the Gap between 3 and 4. 1265 Baylor 1426 Oregon.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I thought Pat Haden should have been replaced after he went after the officials in the middle of a game. When that didn't disqualify him, the committee took a hit in my opinion.

I found this quote on Haden's Wikipedia page, for what it's worth:
The almost unprecedented action of having an Athletic Director, let alone a selection committee member, confront and challenge football officials regarding rulings on the field of play has called into question the impartiality of the current members of the College Football Playoff Selection Committee as well as the College Football Playoff selection process itself.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
Two things kept the Big 12 out of the playoffs this year. Number one, Alabama, Oregon, FSU, and Ohio St all won their championship games. If any of those teams had lost then they would have a team in the playoff and two if two of those teams had lost. Therefore, not having a championship hurt them this season but it could have worked in their favor just as easily. Second, they hitched their wagon to TCU several weeks ago by saying they would have co-champions. I think if they had taken the position that head-to-head is the tie breaker and Baylor had been crowned the champion then Baylor had a better chance of being ahead of Ohio St.

NBF_Bama_Cavalry

All-American
Dec 2, 2002
Titus, Al, US
www.dixiebikers.com
Of 61 coaches who voted in the coach's poll, 56 voted Alabama either #1 or #2. Four coaches showed a little anti-Alabama bias and voted #3. Art Briles was the only coach who voted Alabama #4. His opinions don't carry much weight with me. He seems like a good fit for the whiners in the Big 12.

CrmznApklps

All-SEC
Nov 22, 2004
The GUMP
I kind of see what the guy on the selection show was saying though. TCU is #3 one week and then is #6 the next?

I think the committee needs only to vote ONCE; after the Conference Championship. All the other declarations just muddy the conversation.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
You guys are missing the point. I also believe Briles is speaking mostly from sour grapes and he was really done in by his own conference's stupidity. My point though is that the whole setup, that even allows him the opportunity to whine about "representation on the committee" is in and of itself a problem. I think the committee probably got it right this year, but my point is that it's much easier to influence a smaller group of people with his type of whining and complaining and the whole setup is asking for trouble. Someone will listen to Briles and his ilk at some point and eventually screw the whole thing up even worse. That's the point I was trying to make, not trying to debate whether Baylor belonged or not.
I get that but as for the coaches poll, do you really think Div. 1A football coaches spend a lot of time watching other teams' games for the purpose of casting an informed vote? Do sports writers (e.g. Pawl Finebaums) really understand football well enough to cast informed votes? Any process that involves humans is going to be flawed. This committee strikes me as a decent balance of disinterested members who are informed enough about college football.
I would also have been fine with just using the last BCS formula.
Baylor got left out due to implications of the Big 12's slavish subservience to the University of Texas, primarily. He should direct his ire towards Austin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.