The Big-12 is a mess

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
No argument here. Texas lost a shot at the title in 2001 and OU in 2003 thanks to upsets in the Big 12 Title game. Their mistake was assuming they'd always be dominant.
2003 didn't quite work out that way. Oklahoma got trounced that year by K-State in the Big 12 title game, but still made it to New Orleans for the BCSNCG.

Admittedly, though, that never really went away as a stigma for Stoops and Brown, especially after the latter's near disaster against Nebraska in 2009. Those guys were always really outspoken against a conference championship game.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Let us not forget this little tidbit from when the conference was collapsing in on them. A couple of their HC's (Stoops was one) said they did not want to expand because they did not want to play another tough game at the end of the season. So ...... they thought no one would notice that they took the easy road. I mean, it is easer to go 11-1 without playing in a championship game.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Tried to listen to as little TV and radio as possible. All of the talking heads repeating the same party line: "Well, the best team could lose to a team they already beat. That isn't fair." (Sounds like they must all be LSWho fans.)

The guy who annoys me the most is the overrated former HS coach, Art Briles. He is the guy who voted Alabama #4, in his ballot.

Or did he?

A few years back, when Bevo and the Dwarfs had a similar problem, he voted Bevo #5. As it turns out, he "accidentally" blurted out he gave his ballot to some lackey in the SID office, later in the following summer.

He probably did the same this year. In any case, I have my fill of Baylor butt-hurt.

He wants to complain that after Archie Manning left the committee, there was no one left to stand up for their style of football. Rubbish. If he thinks that is all it takes to sway the committee to include a team that plays one game less than everyone else, and doesn't play a championship, he needs to go back to coaching HS.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Here's the real problem, the conference is still ruled by Oklahoma. Baylor for instance has nowhere to go, and they were nearly left without a conference. So, they'll gripe, but at the end of the day they'll stay there and continue to be subservient.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
What I don't particularly care for though (not disputing your points) is the simple fact that if it were TEXAS or OU in TCU's spot - they'd be in this playoff by name, and everyone here shouldn't pretend otherwise. That's what irks me - teams can do the precise same achievement but if you have a "name" you're in and if you don't ,you're not. What's funny is that every Tide fan who tries to deny this will turn right around and say that same thing about Notre Dame.

Do any of you seriously think that if Wake Forest or Duke had FSU's unimpressive resume with the same results that they'd be in the playoff? Nope.

And THAT is what irks me about the whole thing.

No argument here. Texas lost a shot at the title in 2001 and OU in 2003 thanks to upsets in the Big 12 Title game. Their mistake was assuming they'd always be dominant.

Dead on right.

They haev more than 1 problem, and a perception of their lower tiered teams is just one of them.
But, an undefeaetd season within the power 5 conferences will punch your ticket regardless of who you are. If you lose and get into a conversation with other teams with a comparable record, of course the pedigree will come in...as well as a lousy OOC strength of Schedule that you set to simply ensure you were bowl eligible rather than comapre to others for the playoff slot.

They did it to thierselves, and at the end of the day, neither TCU or Baylor deserved the spot over Ohio State...and I can definitly see the 'why'.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Here's the real problem, the conference is still ruled by Oklahoma. Baylor for instance has nowhere to go, and they were nearly left without a conference. So, they'll gripe, but at the end of the day they'll stay there and continue to be subservient.
This is true but it also the crux of the problem. The power dynamics in this conference are so out of whack that it is bound to come to a head in places people don't expect.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
This is true but it also the crux of the problem. The power dynamics in this conference are so out of whack that it is bound to come to a head in places people don't expect.
I'm just not sure it can. Baylor and the other smaller Big 12 schools are in an abusive relationship, but they have nowhere else to go. Colorado, Utah, Missouri, Nebraska and Texas A&M already left for greener pastures. Of the remaining teams, only Texas and Oklahoma really carry enough weight to pick another desirable destination. I'm not sure what can happen really, Texas after all was the one that threatened to leave before, and they were going to leave Baylor behind.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I guess I was vague. I wasn't really talking about it becoming a fight between the ruling class v. underlings...but simply that the out whack structure of this conference rears its head in all sorts of decisions like the cute TCU-Baylor game deal.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.