BCS 2014 - what would have been?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
so, let me make sure i am understanding the playoff site rationale. #1 and #2 are "protected" based on their matchups with #'s 3 and 4, right? let me throw this in the mix. what if LSU had a great year and ended up #4? #1 and #2 would be "protected" by making both teams travel all the way across the country (and away from their fan bases), right? i know that would be the end result, but it seems like both #1 and #2 are being penalized for the #4 team's location than actually protecting the higher ranked teams.

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005
For those hating the playoff committee, I wonder if they have considered what would have happened if we were still in the BCS system. Ohio State would have obviously been out. But that would leave two one loss teams ( Bama and Oregon) ranked 1 and 2 and the sole undefeated team and defending NC FSU out in the cold. I cannot imagine what a mess that would be. Had the voters tweaked their votes to move FSU into the top two, that would have left Oregon or Bama out in the cold. Neither of these alternatives is very palatable either.

Just saying that they dodged a bullet with the four team system this year. The four team system may not last long, but it did work this year.
Your argument is flawed. FSU would be #1 in the BCS. They would not get left out. Two 11-1 teams would much like the two 11-1 teams that got left out. The BCS was a 2 team playoff system based on a formula. The 4 team play off is based off...... who knows. No bullets were dodged. If nothing else, the point that conference champions will get in above anyone else seems to have been proven.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
so, let me make sure i am understanding the playoff site rationale. #1 and #2 are "protected" based on their matchups with #'s 3 and 4, right? let me throw this in the mix. what if LSU had a great year and ended up #4? #1 and #2 would be "protected" by making both teams travel all the way across the country (and away from their fan bases), right? i know that would be the end result, but it seems like both #1 and #2 are being penalized for the #4 team's location than actually protecting the higher ranked teams.
Actually, only #1 gets to choose, so only they are "protected". There are only 2 bowls in play for the semi-finals games, and the #1 ranked team gets its choice between the two. The matchup might not be ideal for that team at their preferred location/bowl, but they still get their choice. #2 has to accept what is left, and #3, #4 have to go where their pairings take them.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
They were fed the BCS and just changed it slightly to throw off suspicion. Spent all their time playing on line games, etc.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Didn't want to start another thread on this - but this article indicates that it is not actually the #1 seeds "choice" but the committee's choice of where to put them based on geography. It also has some interesting information on what the bowls would look like if this year's rankings occurred in 2015 or 2016.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...range-fiesta-121114?cmpid=tsm:fscom:foxsports
It's the top seed's choice as long as the #2 seed isn't playing in the #3 teams state or visa versa. Had lsu been the #4 team and not OSU we would be going to Pasadena to play lsu that is in the event that the committee doesn't tweak their final rankings to avoid that matchup.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
It's the top seed's choice as long as the #2 seed isn't playing in the #3 teams state or visa versa. Had lsu been the #4 team and not OSU we would be going to Pasadena to play lsu that is in the event that the committee doesn't tweak their final rankings to avoid that matchup.
This article doesn't say that. If you look at what would be if these rankings were to occur next year they are saying we would be in the Cotton and Oregon/FSU in the Orange since Tuscaloosa to Dallas < Tuscaloosa to Miami. However, they did say they were still unclear about if they would put us in the Orange to avoid making Oregon travel to FSU's home state saying that the committee has not really addressed this.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Just want to say proof that they got it right.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR
There's an irony in the fact that the CFP committee still wants #1 vs. #2 in the championship. You know. Like the BCS did. Alabama vs. Oregon would be a much more anticipated championship than FSU vs. Ohio State.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This article doesn't say that. If you look at what would be if these rankings were to occur next year they are saying we would be in the Cotton and Oregon/FSU in the Orange since Tuscaloosa to Dallas < Tuscaloosa to Miami. However, they did say they were still unclear about if they would put us in the Orange to avoid making Oregon travel to FSU's home state saying that the committee has not really addressed this.
When the committee was formed there was a big question asked to Hancock, and it was what if the 3 or 4 team is playing in their home state. This was asked because lsu had the bcscg in New Orleans in 04,08,and 12 and Florida had it in their state in 09. He said that the 3rd and 4th team can not have the game in their home state. It has been explained on many espn shows concerning the cfp and they pretty much have the big connections with cfp.
So in year two scenario in that article, if they don't flip flop OSU and fsu, then we would be heading to Miami and Oregon would be going to Dallas since fsu is in Florida.

With most articles about this they are vauge, but if you listen to some of the preseason interviews and some of the espn analyst then it's more clear, but for a definite answer on the question I guess we have to wait til next year and hope for clarity
http://www.businessinsider.com/new-college-football-playoff-rules-2014-8

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.