BCS 2014 - what would have been?

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
For those hating the playoff committee, I wonder if they have considered what would have happened if we were still in the BCS system. Ohio State would have obviously been out. But that would leave two one loss teams ( Bama and Oregon) ranked 1 and 2 and the sole undefeated team and defending NC FSU out in the cold. I cannot imagine what a mess that would be. Had the voters tweaked their votes to move FSU into the top two, that would have left Oregon or Bama out in the cold. Neither of these alternatives is very palatable either.

Just saying that they dodged a bullet with the four team system this year. The four team system may not last long, but it did work this year.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I agree. I am an anti-playoff guy and I am vehemently an anti-8-team-playoff guy.
But I will admit. The playoff was a great thing this year in several ways. I still hate the committee. And there are definitely parts of this setup that I hate. I hate that it might end up hurting us one year. But when looking at this year as a whole, the playoff was a good thing for the 2014 CFB season.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
It would have been FSU and Bama in the national championship...with a very angry Oregon fan base left out.

All the polls would have FSU up at 1 or 2. The committee and playoff influenced them to vote them lower. They knew they would get in as long as they were 4 or higher. So they felt they could send a message to rank them lower.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
It would have been FSU and Bama in the national championship...with a very angry Oregon fan base left out.
Bingo. Under the BCS formula, undefeated FSU would have been #1; one-loss Alabama would have been #2 over one-loss Oregon, on the basis of a stronger conference, a better loss (road loss to Ole Miss as opposed to home loss to Arizona), and better tradition/name brand.

That would have been the match-up and, frankly, it wouldn't have been that controversial. Oregon fans and Pac-12 homers would have been upset, but in general that would have been considered as the "right" result.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I agree. I am an anti-playoff guy and I am vehemently an anti-8-team-playoff guy.
But I will admit. The playoff was a great thing this year in several ways. I still hate the committee. And there are definitely parts of this setup that I hate. I hate that it might end up hurting us one year. But when looking at this year as a whole, the playoff was a good thing for the 2014 CFB season.
I think that's basically right. Don't particularly care for the format, hate the selection process and the committee, but will readily admit they reached the right result this season and that it will make for a much more entertaining finale. I hope we get this lucky in most seasons, though I'm afraid we won't.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Am I reading the chart wrong - it says we are #1 in both? The only difference is Oregon and F$U are flipped.
You're reading it fine, but the venue is decided based on proximity to both the #1 and #2 seeds. New Orleans is closer to Tallahassee than Los Angeles is. Therefore, FSU goes there, and Bama travels out west.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
You're reading it fine, but the venue is decided based on proximity to both the #1 and #2 seeds. New Orleans is closer to Tallahassee than Los Angeles is. Therefore, FSU goes there, and Bama travels out west.
That makes no sense. The committee tries to protect the two top teams from travelling too far but there is no way they'd make the clear #1 (Alabama) travel 2,000 miles and make the #2 only travel 400.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Venue is determined by #1's choice of venue.
That makes no sense. The committee tries to protect the two top teams from travelling too far but there is no way they'd make the clear #1 (Alabama) travel 2,000 miles and make the #2 only travel 400.
I posted what I've heard numerous media members say. I can't find the exact wording from the committee. I did find this Dan Wolken FAQ piece in USA Today. That indicates Alabama could have still gone to the Rose Bowl because that wouldn't be a home game for Ohio State like it would be Oregon.

Q: How will geography factor in?A: The selection committee's goal will be to protect the top two seeds from playing in road environments in semifinal games. For instance, if Southern Cal was the No. 1 seed and LSU was the No. 4 in 2014, that semifinal could be played in the Rose Bowl but not the Sugar Bowl

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I was unsure of how the venues were picked - but I heard this morning on the Roundtable that #1 seed gets to pick their venue for the semi-final game.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I think that's basically right. Don't particularly care for the format, hate the selection process and the committee, but will readily admit they reached the right result this season and that it will make for a much more entertaining finale. I hope we get this lucky in most seasons, though I'm afraid we won't.

Cant see it hurting us, as long as we take care of business on the field. Losing games will always make it a more complicated decision.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
I posted what I've heard numerous media members say. I can't find the exact wording from the committee. I did find this Dan Wolken FAQ piece in USA Today. That indicates Alabama could have still gone to the Rose Bowl because that wouldn't be a home game for Ohio State like it would be Oregon.
[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
It's nearly the same distance from Eugene to Pasadena as it is from Columbus to New Orleans. The #1 seed always deserves priority in proximity.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
For those hating the playoff committee, I wonder if they have considered what would have happened if we were still in the BCS system. Ohio State would have obviously been out. But that would leave two one loss teams ( Bama and Oregon) ranked 1 and 2 and the sole undefeated team and defending NC FSU out in the cold. I cannot imagine what a mess that would be. Had the voters tweaked their votes to move FSU into the top two, that would have left Oregon or Bama out in the cold. Neither of these alternatives is very palatable either.

Just saying that they dodged a bullet with the four team system this year. The four team system may not last long, but it did work this year.
Would have been a repeat of 2012. FSU vs Bama. The Bama fatigue would have been even greater (if that can be imagined).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.