Utah State Coach Matt Wells Gives One of the Best Answer to Question About Other Jobs

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
A few weeks ago, there was a thread about Gus' response to a job opening. Some picked apart his comment, and I asked what fans and/or media would want a coach to say when asked. Utah State coach Matt Wells give the best answer I've heard when asked the question about other jobs.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
It's a great answer. Probably ought to issue it as a press release at some point your first season, and add that this will be your only comment ever about any future job opportunities. If you ask me about any specific job in a press conference, I'll ignore you and move on to the next question.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
This answer works fine for Utah State

try this answer at a real school and the results would be what Displaced and Rolltide1017 said.

In the SEC it would be the lead on Finebaum with weeks of speculation on what said coach would consider "a better situation for my family"

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If I was a journalist:

All I heard was blah blah blah...I'll listen to offers...blah blah blah.

If I worked for ESPN my headline would be "Wells Considers Leaving Utah State".
or "Wells Considers Leaving Utah State for the right opportunity."
This answer works fine for Utah State

try this answer at a real school and the results would be what Displaced and Rolltide1017 said.

In the SEC it would be the lead on Finebaum with weeks of speculation on what said coach would consider "a better situation for my family"
That was my point in the thread about Gus. There's not a comment that doesn't put the coach in a bad situation. Even if he says he's staying, he might like what he hears when he picks up the phone just to be nice and end up taking the job.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.