Prediction: Florida State beats Oregon

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Oregon struggled against a not very good Washington State team.
Not sure why this is relevant as I was not discussing an Oregon team that actually lost a game this year, but you are correct.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Honestly, I don't see FSU winning. I remember how tired they were against GT (defense), and if MM goes full HUNH I don't see FSU keeping up. Oregon has more talent on that side of the ball (offense) than anyone they have faced, and defensively they aren't that good.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Jameis Winston wasn't even invited to the Heisman ceremony. Wow, as if FSU and Winston didn't need anymore motivation. This FSU vs Oregon game isn't the gimme that a lot think it will be.......

I hope FSU loses, but Oregon is going to have its hands full. Plus you have the layoff factor that tends to hurt these Up-Tempo teams. The best coaching staff usually wins these Bowl games after a layoff too and honestly, I don't have a lot of faith in Oregon's staff. I think FSU has them in that regard. So anyone thinking Oregon will run away with this game, I can almost guarantee you that it wont be that way. FSU will be one fired up squad and they'll rally around Winston. Their "US AGAINST THE WORLD" mentality will be taken to new levels now.

I'll say this much, I am glad Alabama isn't facing Florida State in that first game. Ive never seen a team get disrespected like Florida State has this year. Florida State will be one fired up motivated team against Oregon.

It wont shock me at all if Florida State beats Oregon and wins big over them.
They've been disrespected because they havent been that good.
They're talented, but havent played up to last years standards all season.

To me, This game could go either way, but, I think that Oregon is playing at a much higher level at this point in the season than Florida State.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Wouldn't you say FSU's chances are helped by the fact that they played a somewhat similar team in Auburn last year?

Last years Auburn team inst nearly as good as this years Oregon team. Mariota is head and shoulders better than Nick Marshall, and the Oregon defense is much improved, IMO.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm not so sure about Florida pushing Oregon around on Offense/Defense... Both team seems to match up well when it comes to weight/Height... If you don't believe me, check out their rosters for both team, and take their starting OLs and DLs and you'll find the number are close with each other.

That's why I'm not completely sold on FSU pushing Oregon around. I can see things work out in both team favor:

FSU: SLow the game down, and wear defense out, control the tempo, and keep Oregon Offense off the field.

Oregon: Move fast, keep tempo going, wear out Defense by keeping them on the field longer. Whoever dicate the tempo from the start should have control of the game and should be in good position to win the game.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Since people are making the comparison:
Auburn 2013:
Scoring D: 24.7 ppg
Scoring O: 39.5 ppg
Sagarin SOS: 13 - played 7 ranked teams (at time of game), 5 top10 ranked teams (at time of game), including two #1 ranked teams

Oregon 2014:
Scoring D: 22.5 ppg
Scoring O: 46.3 ppg
Sagarin SOS: 33 - played 4 ranked teams (at time of game), 2 top10 ranked teams (at time of game), highest ranked team played was #7 MSU (who ended up winless against final ranked teams)

Just saying, I know giving the barners credit is tough, but last year's team was really, really good. Really good. They played a tougher schedule than Oregon has this year.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
JW on fire... or his receivers finally woke up? I dont know what...seems like teams switch to different defense late in game... and whatever was working in first half... they stopped doing that in second half... anyone noticed that?

Maybe so but when it's is clutch time Winston is on fire. Just because he has had a off year doesn't mean he can't light a defense up.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Frankly, I think everyone in the NCAA takes a back seat to Winston's arm. I can't stand the guy, but he can literally make any NFL throw he wants to off his back foot. Mariotta is very good, but he's nowhere near Rapeis wrt his arm.

And remember, he's never lost a game. He just wins.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I've heard the talking heads proclaim, "FSU simply finds a way to win".
That sounds all well and good--but, to me, it translates into, "FSU has the attitude that all they have to do is show up to win".
That's much like our 2010 team.
I think it will bite them against an Oregon team that will be trying everything in their power to play the game of their lives.
I hope FSU wins(I'd rather play them), but I think it will be Oregon and I don't think it will be close.
sip
At the beginning of the year I picked fsu to lose one of three games. Uf, Louisville , or nd. They won all three. I really think fsu plays around with teams and turns on the jets when it matters. They aren't playing lucky like auburn they really are good enough to erase crazy deficients. I think they will take bama and Oregon seriously. Idk if they are good enough to beat either, but I think they will be good games.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Frankly, I think everyone in the NCAA takes a back seat to Winston's arm. I can't stand the guy, but he can literally make any NFL throw he wants to off his back foot. Mariotta is very good, but he's nowhere near Rapeis wrt his arm.

And remember, he's never lost a game. He just wins.
Let's also not forget about his mobility either. Nobody will mistake him for Michael Vick but his foot speed is underrated.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
My dad and I talked about the same thing this morning. As a person, we can't stand him, but we all have to respect the player JW is.

Chris Carter made the comment this morning on Mike & Mike that JW has a "severe ankle injury" and to watch out for what he does against Oregon after having a month to heal. I didn't realize he was injured.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
My dad and I talked about the same thing this morning. As a person, we can't stand him, but we all have to respect the player JW is.

Chris Carter made the comment this morning on Mike & Mike that JW has a "severe ankle injury" and to watch out for what he does against Oregon after having a month to heal. I didn't realize he was injured.
Chris Carter also said JW is ready to play in the NFL right now but MM would have to be in the right system.

I thought at the first of the year FSU would run the table because they were so dominant last year and they had JW coming back. Really the surprise is how FSU has struggled. FSU has the more talented team but they are dysfunctional so I'm picking Oregon to win.

Whoever wins, I hope it's a decisive victory so we can wipe the floor with the winner and leave no doubt who should be the National Champs.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Let's also not forget about his mobility either. Nobody will mistake him for Michael Vick but his foot speed is underrated.
MM is faster and quicker, he can make any throw JW can make, albeit his arm is not quite as strong.
JW has had ankle problems (MM had some last year). I am going on this year's results and for accuracy and comparing who each team has played, I still give MM the edge.
We'll see in a little over 3 weeks.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.