Final poll in the Sagarin Ratings

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Jeff Sagarin and his very thorough ratings systems have been widely respected for quite some time. His report has been featured in USA Today for many years as well. Take a look at the Sagarin Ratings final poll after Saturday' games.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

1. Alabama
2. TCU
3. Oregon
4. Ole Miss

5. Ohio State
15. Florida State

Interesting. If the committee was looking for the 4 best teams in America, i think they missed it by a little bit.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Ole Miss at four blows that completely out of the water. You can't be four with three losses. That simple.
I wasn't trying to say that by the playoff committee criteria that Ole Miss would be number 4, but you better believe that based on ratings systems like Jeff Sagarin's and others like it, if Ole Miss were to play FSU on a neutral field this coming Saturday, Vegas would have Ole Miss as the favorite based on who they've played and what the results are. Teams have won the Super Bowl with 4 losses, so that blows your theory out of the water if you think a team should be rated solely on their record......

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I wasn't trying to say that by the playoff committee criteria that Ole Miss would be number 4, but you better believe that based on ratings systems like Jeff Sagarin's and others like it, if Ole Miss were to play FSU on a neutral field this coming Saturday, Vegas would have Ole Miss as the favorite based on who they've played and what the results are. Teams have won the Super Bowl with 4 losses, so that blows your theory out of the water if you think a team should be rated solely on their record......
Hmmm...interesting indeed. And by the way, I wasn't arguing with you, I was stating my opinion of the current Sagarin ratings.

Last edited:

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Hmmm...interesting indeed. And by the way, I wasn't arguing with you, I was stating my opinion of the current Sagarin ratings.
We're all on the same team. No worries. But for all those people who keep saying that FSU should be in because they were the champs last year, and because they're undefeated, and all that - these ratings systems that factor in how tough your schedule is and who you beat and so forth don't like FSU's resume at all. I mean, 15th? I personally think they should be ranked in the top 10, but nowhere near the top 4 teams in America right now.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
We're all on the same team. No worries. But for all those people who keep saying that FSU should be in because they were the champs last year, and because they're undefeated, and all that - these ratings systems that factor in how tough your schedule is and who you beat and so forth don't like FSU's resume at all. I mean, 15th? I personally think they should be ranked in the top 10, but nowhere near the top 4 teams in America right now.
I'd agree with that

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Thinking is hard work for most folks. They like platitudes/sayings/whatnot like:

"If you keep winning, you should be at the top until someone knocks you off."
"If you didn't win your conference, you shouldn't be in."
"If you didn't play an extra game, you shouldn't be in."
"You gotta run to set up the pass."
"If someone's not an Alabama man, they shouldn't be here."
"If you can't throw the deep ball, you shouldn't be QB."

Seems like if you present an idea that takes a few sentences to explain it, you've lost a lot of people. While cliches become cliches for good reason, they're not always true. I think this season has been a testament to that.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
If Alabama were the only undefeated team and dropped to #3 or #4, I am sure everyone would feel the same.

And btw - Cliches are cliches because they are almost always true.. some modifications to your cliches and things you said that are not cliche:

"If you keep winning, you should be at the top until someone knocks you off." - Pretty good argument
"If you didn't win your conference, you better have a very good non conference schedule."
"If you didn't play an extra game, you might be in Texas."
"You gotta run to set up the pass." Only true about 99.9% of the time
"If someone's not an Alabama man, they should be an Alabama woman."
"If you can't throw the deep ball, you should have Amari Cooper and TJ Yeldon on your team.."

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Jeff Sagarin and his very thorough ratings systems have been widely respected for quite some time. His report has been featured in USA Today for many years as well. Take a look at the Sagarin Ratings final poll after Saturday' games.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

1. Alabama
2. TCU
3. Oregon
4. Ole Miss

5. Ohio State
15. Florida State

Interesting. If the committee was looking for the 4 best teams in America, i think they missed it by a little bit.
Well, I like the committee's picks better than that list by far. Ole Miss? They lost three games on the field, the last of which was a 30-0 butt whipping to Arky. Please!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.