OSU Analysis Thread...

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
I was going to debate that a bit, but I did my due diligence and research and found that you are really spot on. Aside from Arkansas (who you can throw out defensively), you guys are pretty close statistically to LSU, Ole Miss, and Miss St (though Miss St's defense was mainly predicated on stopping teams within the redzone). So, you are correct.

Some will try to debate that because from top to bottom the B1G may not be quite as good, that the numbers are skewed. I disagree, because the B1G is also known as an offensive league, and so typically it gives way to worse numbers.

Here is where you guys are not on the same level as the above defenses, Red Zone defense. Mississippi St (#1), Arkansas (#3), Ole Miss (#9) are all top 10 defenses int he redzone. LSU comes in at #33...you guys are #74. So if you guys can keep it between the 20's you'll be good, if not...it might be along night.
The data I researched was adjusted for strength of opposition. You guys are were #1 defense primarily the strength of your run def. We're #4 overall, Ole Miss #5, LSU #8, Miss St #9 and Arky #20.

I offer no excuses for our red zone def efficiency other than mental mistakes from our youngters. We'll have 3 freshman defenders and several sophs on the field for most of the game.....they are great young players, recruited by both sides, but still learinng the game and their assignments. The xtra work will be very beneficial for us.

Your pass def seems to be more suspect than years past....is it a coverage issue, pressure issue, both?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Your pass def seems to be more suspect than years past....is it a coverage issue, pressure issue, both?
Thats the million dollar question that you will get a thousand different answers. So its probably best you just make your own assesment.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
The Arkansas game was more of a case of the offense being dysfunctional than Arkansas's defense being impressive.

During the earlier parts of the season, Sims tended to lock onto Cooper and if that wasn't available, things went south in a hurry. As the season progressed, Sims became much more adept at going through progressions.

Also, the offense seemed to have issues on the road for some reason. Three of the four games mentioned (Arkansas, Ole Miss & LSU) were all road games. I'm not sure if this issue has been resolved or if a neutral site game would pose the same issues - the offense seemed to be in sync for the SECCG game.

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
Thats the million dollar question that you will get a thousand different answers. So its probably best you just make your own assesment.
Still not sure....just haven't seen enough of you guys live or replay. When I did watch, it did seem that there were more plays made by the opposition downfield than is typical against a Bama defense. Looking at the numbers, we have twice as many Ints 21 - 10 and almost twice as many sacks 38 - 20. That could suggest that we might be a little more aggressive bringing pressure and challenging routes....having Bosa up front helps as well

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Still not sure....just haven't seen enough of you guys live or replay. When I did watch, it did seem that there were more plays made by the opposition downfield than is typical against a Bama defense. Looking at the numbers, we have twice as many Ints 21 - 10 and almost twice as many sacks 38 - 20. That could suggest that we might be a little more aggressive bringing pressure and challenging routes....having Bosa up front helps as well
So does this:

2014 SCHEDULEBUY OHIO STATE TICKETS

DATEOPPONENTTIME/RESULTTVTICKETS
Aug 30@NavyWon 34-17CBS Sports Network
Sep 6Virginia TechLost 21-35ESPN
Sep 13Kent St.Won 66-0ABC Regional
Sep 27CincinnatiWon 50-28BTN
Oct 4@MarylandWon 52-24ABC
Oct 18RutgersWon 56-17ABC
Oct 25@Penn St.Won 31-24ABC
Nov 1IllinoisWon 55-14ABC
Nov 8@Michigan St. #7Won 49-37ABC
Nov 15@MinnesotaWon 31-24ABC
Nov 22IndianaWon 42-27BTN
Nov 29MichiganWon 42-28ABC
Dec 6Wisconsin #17Won 59-0FOX

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
The data I researched was adjusted for strength of opposition. You guys are were #1 defense primarily the strength of your run def. We're #4 overall, Ole Miss #5, LSU #8, Miss St #9 and Arky #20.

I offer no excuses for our red zone def efficiency other than mental mistakes from our youngters. We'll have 3 freshman defenders and several sophs on the field for most of the game.....they are great young players, recruited by both sides, but still learinng the game and their assignments. The xtra work will be very beneficial for us.

Our overall pass def. numbers are actually REALLY good, what problems we had were a propensity to give up big plays. There are several reasons and debates as to why, but here are a few things I observed.

First, our defense leaves our CB on an island often. That leads to people having blown coverage because the odds are higher.

Also, some of our CB's just don't get their head around when they are in coverage. That was a huge problem through a lot of the year, but has gotten better as of late.

Next is just broken plays. We get really good pressure on QB's, but sometimes that has worked against us. Several of the big plays we gave up in the last two games (*U and Mizzou) were off of broken plays. Those just happen at times.

The last thing is that some of the guys we've faced are just good. Kevin white, the Auburn Duo, and some others are NFL caliber receivers and they showed it against us.

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
Alabama will not win with B-grade effort. The only way Alabama will win without one of their best efforts is if Ohio State self-destructs likes the Orange Bowl last year.
Agree, but the only area to me that has any weakness or at least subjectivity for UA is the secondary. If you guys shut down the big play/deep ball and keep things in front of you, I don't see tOSU keeping it close.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Coach Saban's talent level is at an all time high. Meyer's talent level is high, but not what it was while at Florida. Close, perhaps, but not as high.....

I just believe that their QB won't have the scrambling ability that we've seen from Auburn, Mizzou, State and Ole Miss....or even UT for that matter.....if we force him to throw in the first 5-7 seconds.....we win....possibly big.....

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I just believe that their QB won't have the scrambling ability that we've seen from Auburn, Mizzou, State and Ole Miss....or even UT for that matter.....if we force him to throw in the first 5-7 seconds.....we win....possibly big.....
It seems to me the more scrambling this inexperienced freshman quarterback does, the more the chances of him taking a big hit.

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
Coach Saban's talent level is at an all time high. Meyer's talent level is high, but not what it was while at Florida. Close, perhaps, but not as high.....

Yup, agree with this. His offense is based on his QB and putting the ball into the hands of his playmakers. The talent was off the charts at Florida with Percy Harvin, Tebow, Pouncy twins, Aaron Hernandez, etc. that allowed him a lot of latitude. That doesn't exist at tOSU and they may be equipped to handle the BigX but not against the talent of the SEC West or UA. He knows that and will make every attempt to neutralize it through screens and big plays. He'll need his defense and special teams to play equally as well to win. I just don't see it.

VABuckeye

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 9, 2014

If Jones gets 5-7 seconds to throw I think most Alabama fans would agree that he's had way too much time to throw the ball.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
The one thing Jones has going for him is 3 years in the system. He also got more reps in spring ball and fall camp than he would have without the Miller injury. Does this translate to success on the field? I don't know but it can't hurt.
Blake has had 4. Guess what? He still had trouble picking up coverages. It is not something that comes quickly for most first time starting qbs. Against most quality SEC defenses it is a recipe for disaster.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
I watched a replay of 1st half B1G Championship Game. Each time OSU kicked off they intentionally lined up covering only 60% of the field (to the kicker's left). It was clearly a strategy, and one that Wisky seemed to play into; i.e., they continued to run the kick back straight into the OSU defenders.

Is that kickoff strategy something OSU has done all year, or was that something tailored for the Championship game?

My bet if OSU tries that against Bama, Christion Jones will get his long over-due kickoff return for a TD.

VABuckeye

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 9, 2014
I watched a replay of 1st half B1G Championship Game. Each time OSU kicked off they intentionally lined up covering only 60% of the field (to the kicker's left). It was clearly a strategy, and one that Wisky seemed to play into; i.e., they continued to run the kick back straight into the OSU defenders.

Is that kickoff strategy something OSU has done all year, or was that something tailored for the Championship game?

My bet if OSU tries that against Bama, Christion Jones will get his long over-due kickoff return for a TD.
They've kicking it there most of the year. The kicker has a big enough leg to kick it deep into the end zone but they seem to prefer playing the coverage game.

BuckeyeAlumnus

Suspended
Dec 9, 2014
Columbus, OH
I have to ask about language policy. We're a family-oriented site and we don't link sites which have none, such as allowing four-letter words and the like...
Yeah, they don't have a language policy...unless it gets way out of hand...so I wouldn't link it. But there is good, intelligent conversation that goes on there for the most part

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
This article isn't about Ohio State, but it's about cover 4 and how to beat it, so I felt it applicable. It's a BR article, but the author has written a lot of good stuff elsewhere.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2094989-nfl-101-introducing-the-basics-of-cover-4

If you want to beat Cover 4, then run the "Pin" route (Post-In combo).

The idea is to remove (or occupy) the strong safety underneath with the dig route (eliminate the inside help) while targeting the outside leverage of the cornerback on the deep post.

Also called a "Mills" concept (Steve Spurrier's playbook), the "Pin" route can include a "dino" stem from the No. 1 receiver (stem to the corner, break back to the post) to widen the cornerback and create even more separation back to the inside.
There's multiple examples of Bama using this concept. I'd expect to see more of it if Ohio State indeed plays a lot of cover 4.

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
Blake has had 4. Guess what? He still had trouble picking up coverages. It is not something that comes quickly for most first time starting qbs. Against most quality SEC defenses it is a recipe for disaster.
agreed.....it is only something that comes with game reps against live fire defenses. Our passing game will be designed accordingly.....easy, low risk throws outside the hashes and deep downfield......expect a lot of deep shots for a wide variety of reasons...some in our favor, others this among them, not so much...

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
If Jones gets 5-7 seconds to throw I think most Alabama fans would agree that he's had way too much time to throw the ball.
Considering that has only happened twice with JFF and OL being able to hold, block in the back, and run down field I don't see him having 5 seconds for anything other than a timeout. It's almost like some folks are just now realizing just how brutal the DL is for Bama.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.