OSU Analysis Thread...

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
OSU isn't as good with Jones as they were with JT or Braxton Miller. Jones hit open guys that won't be so open against Bama. Wisky loaded up on the run and their safeties/ILBs bit on misdirection. Bama won't.

OSU ran a fairly vanilla offense. That won't work against Bama. I think Jones, while a good athlete, isn't the type to give Bama problems. He's big but not quick.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
What is going to be interesting is to see what plan CLK will devise having a month to prepare. He only other opportunity to plan with this much time available was the beginning of the year with West Virginia. But then he wasn't even sure who his starting QB would be.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
If he's big.. I wonder if they're going to use tebow-like offense... *side eye*
OSU isn't as good with Jones as they were with JT or Braxton Miller. Jones hit open guys that won't be so open against Bama. Wisky loaded up on the run and their safeties/ILBs bit on misdirection. Bama won't.

OSU ran a fairly vanilla offense. That won't work against Bama. I think Jones, while a good athlete, isn't the type to give Bama problems. He's big but not quick.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think OSU won that game off of emotion...grief for their fallen teammate. Wisky was a bit mismatched anyway then the emotional factor made it lopsided. It was one of those moments where OSU coulda probably beaten anyone in front of them. At the same time, that kind of emotion is hard to recapture.

The concerns are that they run well and Jones has a cannon arm. The deep passing game has been about the only thing working against us lately. Keeping Jones in the pocket but distressed is the key.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
You have to really sift through the OSU sites to find anything resembling a cogent analysis thread, but this one is from their Scout site. It has some intelligent analysis and a whole lot of gibberish. They think their receiver corps is deeper than ours and all they have to do is stop Cooper. Dream on...

LINK
I was unaware that we were "the Roll Tide"...

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I think OSU won that game off of emotion...grief for their fallen teammate. Wisky was a bit mismatched anyway then the emotional factor made it lopsided. It was one of those moments where OSU coulda probably beaten anyone in front of them. At the same time, that kind of emotion is hard to recapture.

The concerns are that they run well and Jones has a cannon arm. The deep passing game has been about the only thing working against us lately. Keeping Jones in the pocket but distressed is the key.
I would have been much more concerned with tOSU if JT Barrett was playing. He's mobile and has a good arm. Jones isnt going to be a 'flight risk' in the backfield, and will change our defensive scheme. It will definitly allow us to do more not having to sorry as much about him taking off. That goes without saying that its his 2nd start, which is going to make it very tough on him.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
While the Wisconsin game was very much a feather in OSU's cap, and rightfully so, the simple fact of the matter was that:
Wisconsin is actually not that good on offense. They run a nearly pure run-oriented offense, and faced multiple defenses (I think 6 or so) that ranked 90th or worse against the run. OSU has a stout run defense, so it was a horrible match-up from the start. Wiscy's defense isn't anything special.

OSU will still be the best team we've played all year, and we will be the best team they've faced all year as well. Should be a good game.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Jones is a solid runner. Can't treat him like a dropback passer but we really haven't played one all season anyway.

Jordan54

1st Team
Aug 20, 2007
Gardendale, Al
IMO, 2 keys to the game. We can't let the QB have a big night.This kid is capable of making some big plays with his arm. They are watching film on where teams have hurt us and that is in the passing game. I do see us shutting down the run. Second, we have to put points on the board. Ohio State is a good defensive team. We need to make plays. I look for a close game with us winning by 7.

miggy402

1st Team
Aug 23, 2009
Waycross, GA
Due to having a wife and inlaws who are huge Ohio St fans, I've seen quite a bit of their games this year. JT Barrett was developing quickly into a great qb up until he got hurt. He could fit the ball into some tight windows with some zip on it and if he were playing in this game, I'd honestly be worried. That being said, the new guy Cardele Jones looks like a redwood tree standing out there, but he lacks mobility and quick decision making. He can throw the ball, but in the Wisc game he was pretty much throwing it up for grabs about 40 yds down field and his WR's were just making plays over the Wisc corners. That kinda stuff won't work for him in this one. Wisc secondary < Bama Secondary.

Not real sure how great their O line is, but I would expect the amount of time Cardele has to decide what to do with the ball will be much shorter than what he had in the Wisc game.

I expect CUM to pull out all the stops ( much like he did AGAINST Oh St back in '07), but I honestly can't see them being within 2 TD's of us. Maybe they score late to make it closer, but I'm thinking most likely outcome is 38-17. If we're rusty on offense coming off the break, maybe we only score 27.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
We seem to have the most trouble with QBs that are mobile when pressured e.g. UT's Dobbs. It's especially tough when the coaching staff doesn't have a lot of film on the QB.

Is the new QB like Dobbs or is he more like a "run only in emergencies" type QB?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm sure everyone is waiting with baited breath for my analysis (heh heh). I watched OSU play two games this year, Minnesota and Michigan. I'm gonna watch a couple on You Tube and get back with you in a few days.

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
I would have been much more concerned with tOSU if JT Barrett was playing. He's mobile and has a good arm. Jones isnt going to be a 'flight risk' in the backfield, and will change our defensive scheme. It will definitly allow us to do more not having to sorry as much about him taking off. That goes without saying that its his 2nd start, which is going to make it very tough on him.
Agree 100% with this.....Jones won't present anywhere near the threat to the Bama defense as JT. Big gun, but nowhere near the mobility or lateral quickness that can make him a meaningful threat in the read option game. Urban and Herman will have their hands full developing a package that can threaten the Bama front enough to keep them honest.....if we can stay balanced and keep Jones clean in the pocket, we have enough playmakers to challenge.....if not, it could be a long night for the young man. That said, Urban and Herman are pretty good guys to have on the sideline.....I think we'll give it a helluva shot......

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.