Hooks4bama

1st Team
Oct 16, 2005
Montgomery
I just get a kick out of:

gave up 383 to TN
gave up 428 to MS St
gave up 630 to auburn

Considering in those games most of those yards were given up in the 4th as passing was the only option.

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
I can understand, but I'm looking at the body of work. I don't see any AUs, Mississippi, or MSUs, not even LSUs on their schedule. That's what I'm looking at. I did the same with ND a few years ago and some thought I was dead wrong. I'm not saying the OSU is any worse or better, but I do see some symptoms here.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR
In my mind, Wisconsin has already shown that they are at least the equal of LSU.....Even without their starting QB, if Gordon doesn't go down and Andersen brain farts, they curbstomp LSU and for my money, Michigan St is better on both sides of the ball than Wisky. I think both would match up quite well with the Miss schools.....I am interested to see how Wisky plays against Auburn given the turmoil in the program with the coaching changes

Hooks4bama

1st Team
Oct 16, 2005
Montgomery
In my mind, Wisconsin has already shown that they are at least the equal of LSU.....Even without their starting QB, if Gordon doesn't go down and Andersen brain farts, they curbstomp LSU and for my money, Michigan St is better on both sides of the ball than Wisky. I think both would match up quite well with the Miss schools.....I am interested to see how Wisky plays against Auburn given the turmoil in the program with the coaching changes
Can their defense get any worse?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Are you still trying to compare Wisconsin's performance against LSU in week one in Dallas to Alabama's performance against them in 13 in Baton Rouge at night?

Whatever makes you feel better...

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
Agreed that Mizzou is better than MN, but the rest is the same type of biased thinking that you see from the OSU posters in that thread.

OSU fans are like Alabama fans - each believes to the depth of their souls that their team can win every week. Each comes up with stats to show how/why their team is better every week. When you go to an OSU board, if you expect to see them praising Alabama and talking about how great Alabama is or why OSU will struggle in this game, that is because you simply are not thinking it through. They are fans of a great team and a great program. They are not going to take a back seat to Alabama or anyone else on an OSU board.

Why would they do that? Would you?
Hard for me to say that Mizzou is better than Minnesota.....didn't Indiana- DFL in the B1G with 1 conference win - beat Mizzou....at Mizzou???? That makes no sense fellas.....that said, they're gonna play on Jan 1 and Mizzou is favored by 6....we'll see

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't buy the micro-level comparison stuff. I look for themes and trends then try to project how it will affect the matchup at hand.

We've all seen impossibly weird things happen when you put too much weight into regular season performances. The same Alabama team that struggled to beat Tennessee and Auburn in 2009 went to the SECCG and spanked Florida. Ohio State had a season much like FSU's 2014 season back in 2002...beat arguably the most talented football team ever in the national title.

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
Are you still trying to compare Wisconsin's performance against LSU in week one in Dallas to Alabama's performance against them in 13 in Baton Rouge at night?

No, not at all....just trying to compare LSU's performance against Wisky performance in week 1 in Dallas. Try as we might, we can't pretend that didn't happen and LSU was not the superior team and I think most observers would agree.......just my opinion

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The point still remains that only Alabama and Ohio State are on the field in NOLA. All these other things don't really matter. It bodes well for OSU that Alabama has had some lapse on 15+ yard throws this season...and the especially deep throws down the sidelines. I think some of the stats are inflated by teams playing catch up. MSU practically got shutdown outside the 3rd quarter and obliged us by dink and dunking the clock away. They got 70 or so more passing yards from it but it strategically made sense to concede it as long it didn't pop for big quick yardage. Mizzou made 4 plays all game while the DL was applying constant harassment. I'd take that trade any day of the week. Auburn straight up burnt us but they did do a great job playing a game left handed. Lets not forget that Sammy Coates and Duke Williams could both actually be better NFL prospects than our guy, Cooper, due to their size and speed. I'd go as far as to say that Auburn will be the best WR corp we see this season even if we win the semis and catch FSU's Greene and company.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
No, not at all....just trying to compare LSU's performance against Wisky performance in week 1 in Dallas. Try as we might, we can't pretend that didn't happen and LSU was not the superior team and I think most observers would agree.......just my opinion
Why are you even bringing up that game, though? What's the comparison?

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

We played LSU in Baton Rouge something the vast majority of teams can't do. LSU started the season with a bunch of freshman, they'd grown by leaps and bounds by the time they got to Bama. The WisCheese performance by LSU was bad enough, but not indicative of who they were later in the season.

Now, let's flip to Penn State. They are exactly who we thought they were and they are a terrible football team. Let's not forget LSU beat Ole Miss, a good Mississippi football team. You can't exactly say that about Penn State now can we?

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Hey B1GTide,

Do you guys claim Joey Galloway? Listening to him on Finebaum again and he is clueless.

Last edited:

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
Why are you even bringing up that game, though? What's the comparison?
There were only two match-ups of B1G/SEC teams this season to date......LSU/Wisky on a neutral field that Wisky dominated throughout much of the game until the best RB in the country got hurt and Indiana beating Mizzou at Mizzou. In that it's really the only on-field barometer we have at this point, some think it relevant to consider performance against conference foes, I do for one.....you may not. We'll agree to disagree on that point....

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Now, let's flip to Penn State. They are exactly who we thought they were and they are a terrible football team. Let's not forget LSU beat Ole Miss, a good Mississippi football team. You can't exactly say that about Penn State now can we?
One thing about this OSU team - they were very inconsistent. One week scoring 50+ points, the next struggling against a team that they should dominate. That is not uncommon in sports, and it does not mean that OSU is an inferior team. When they have really needed a game, they have played well. Also, OSU was an underdog in the MSU an WI games, yet they beat both soundly.

What does any of this really mean? Not much. Both schools have great coaches, great players and depth. Alabama has a slight edge in all three categories. Alabama should win. But OSU still gets their shot, and you just never know.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Didn't Indiana look pretty solid early but have a calamity of injuries that derailed potential for a decent-ish Minnesota type season?

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
Didn't Indiana look pretty solid early but have a calamity of injuries that derailed potential for a decent-ish Minnesota type season?
They did.....their biggest loss was their starting QB. They were not the same team for sure.....

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
There were only two match-ups of B1G/SEC teams this season to date......LSU/Wisky on a neutral field that Wisky dominated throughout much of the game until the best RB in the country got hurt and Indiana beating Mizzou at Mizzou. In that it's really the only on-field barometer we have at this point, some think it relevant to consider performance against conference foes, I do for one.....you may not. We'll agree to disagree on that point....
There's no doubt about it. We're going to have to really disagree that point.

We'll claim Galloway if you'll claim Fimebaum.....

You mean the University of Tennessee graduate?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.