OSU Analysis Thread...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Hey B1GTide,

Do you guys claim Joey Galloway? Listening to him in Finebaum again and he is clueless.
Believe it or not, he is a good guy. You would like him if you met him. I don't care for him as a college football analyst for two reasons:

* He is a homer, and he can't/won't hide it.
* He will not let anything go. He digs in and defends a position, even when it is clear that everyone else is ready to move on. Heck, he'll bring up points weeks later that he has already argued to death.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Believe it or not, he is a good guy. You would like him if you met him. I don't care for him as a college football analyst for two reasons:

* He will not let anything go. He digs in and defends a position, even when it is clear that everyone else is ready to move on. Heck, he'll bring up points weeks later that he has already argued to death.
Yeah, he seems genuine but he's just not very good as an analyst. Finebaum is willing to change his position when the evidence dictates. Galloway is the guy who will double down anything.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

He does seem like a good guy. But not analyst material. I did enjoy his comments and praise on Sims though. But his argument of just needing to stop Amari is silly.

One thing about this OSU team - they were very inconsistent. One week scoring 50+ points, the next struggling against a team that they should dominate. That is not uncommon in sports, and it does not mean that OSU is an inferior team. When they have really needed a game, they have played well. Also, OSU was an underdog in the MSU an WI games, yet they beat both soundly.

What does any of this really mean? Not much. Both schools have great coaches, great players and depth. Alabama has a slight edge in all three categories. Alabama should win. But OSU still gets their shot, and you just never know.
I'm only say things because of what OSU fans are saying on their site. I'm not saying it is going to be a blowout by any means, but things are similar to a couple of years ago.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm only say things because of what OSU fans are saying on their site. I'm not saying it is going to be a blowout by any means, but things are similar to a couple of years ago.
I get that, but no one is saying those things here. 11W is a site with many sophisticated college football fans. They can, if you let them, debate the finer points of many different types of offensive and defensive philosophies. But they are still OSU fans, and the average guy posting there is going to do what fans do - slant the data to put OSU in the best possible light. With this much at stake, they don't want to do a point/counter-point on those stats. They want to BELIEVE that the Buckeyes are the better team and that the Buckeyes will win this game. But these same folks will praise Alabama if we get beat. I would have recommended the site a long time ago, but for the cursing. Way too much foul language on that site for me.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Needing to stop Cooper is just a given. The problem is that Alabama has enough balance in run/pass that it makes it hard to play a shadow coverage and still have gap soundness against the run. Lately, a lot of the chunk plays have been tendency breakers out of heavy sets. Mizzou played the "gotta stop Cooper" gameplan out and completely failed at stopping anything other than Cooper. It took safeties sliding over the top of Cooper nearly every snap that opened up things for the backs, tight ends, and the receiver playing combo routes with Cooper.

People make a big deal out of how often Sims targets Cooper, but that is good coaching: coaches call plays to work Cooper - your best player - open and tell the QB to look to him first. Also, most of the season White was hindered and they lost Drake who was suppose to be an explosive play creator. Cooper saved us in those times and I think White getting healthy is going to rebalance the targets just a little bit.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
There was a time, early in the season, when a team like Ole Miss or Arkansas could really limit your offense by playing zone and assigning an extra safety to Cooper. Sims really struggled reading zone defenses early in the season. It took him much longer to go through his progressions. But both Auburn and Mizzou played zone almost exclusively and Sims/Cooper torched them. Sims has it figured out and it is no longer a weakness. If there is a weakness in Alabama's offense this year, it is in your ability to run the ball between the tackles. That is it. Not sure how Meyer will turn that into something that could beat you. IMO, the Buckeye's only chance in this game is to outscore Alabama - win in a 42-35 type game. I just don't think that we will be able to beat Alabama in a low scoring game.

Needing to stop Cooper is just a given. The problem is that Alabama has enough balance in run/pass that it makes it hard to play a shadow coverage and still have gap soundness against the run. Lately, a lot of the chunk plays have been tendency breakers out of heavy sets. Mizzou played the "gotta stop Cooper" gameplan out and completely failed at stopping anything other than Cooper. It took safeties sliding over the top of Cooper nearly every snap that opened up things for the backs, tight ends, and the receiver playing combo routes with Cooper.

People make a big deal out of how often Sims targets Cooper, but that is good coaching: coaches call plays to work Cooper - your best player - open and tell the QB to look to him first. Also, most of the season White was hindered and they lost Drake who was suppose to be an explosive play creator. Cooper saved us in those times and I think White getting healthy is going to rebalance the targets just a little bit.
Didn't really see them stop Cooper. Right when they thought they did, we hit a bomb to White. They'll need to stop more than Cooper. Like you said, our balance is highly effective.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yep, Sims had some difficulty discerning zone around midseason and a real issue with eyeballing Cooper a bit too long...especially against zone.

I think the big thing is that we're calling more zone beaters when teams play us like that...the coaching is putting him in a better position. I think a lot of those INTs against Auburn were bad playcalls by Kiffin. He had no hope due to the routes but picked the worst decision available. Kiffin seemed to be owning it in the Auburn game too. They made a change with routes that attack the safety with our two quick receivers. When they identify zone, the staff is giving Sims a nice 1-2-3 quick progression that will break the coverage at one level. Sims has improved as a distributor, the guys around him are doing a better job too. White is healthy. Howard is more consistent if not as explosive as people hoped in August. Most of all, Kiffin kinda adjusted the playcalling mix as teams started adjusting to Alabama being a more passing leaning team than previous tendencies. Funny enough, I think LSU gave us so much trouble because they were one of the few teams to go man free and challenge our receivers. Of course, they were the best man coverage DBs in the nation possibly. They contained a healthy Treadwell and Cooper back-to-back.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
B1GTide, correct me, but OSU is running a scheme very similar to Sparty now. Cover 4 with pattern matching?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
B1GTide, correct me, but OSU is running a scheme very similar to Sparty now. Cover 4 with pattern matching?
We brought in Ash, who runs a 4-3 Over, Quarters defense very similar to the MSU defense. Our secondary plays close to the LOS, tries to make contact with the receivers on every play, and we then switch off as the routes mature. We play almost no man defense. This is a defense that the QB has to have time to read, so we will need to get some pressure on Sims to disrupt that. The quick screen is a dangerous pass against our defense - dangerous for the QB.

BuckeyeAlumnus

Suspended
Dec 9, 2014
Columbus, OH
I'm curious to see if the Buckeyes put Doran Grant on Cooper or on White. I can see them doing what the Patriots did with Calvin Johnson a few weeks back. They put Revis on Golden Tate and doubled Calvin.

I've heard a lot of casual fans say "we just gotta stop Amari Cooper." But the true college football fans have watched the games and know that DeAndrew White and that running game can beat us too. It's a very balanced offense that can't be stopped by simply loading the box or doubling Cooper.

Bama is not unbeatable, but they certainly have the edge. The Buckeyes must be firing on all cylinders. If so, they can win the game.

See ya in NOLA

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Off-tackle, yes, but effectively nonetheless. We've run the ball when we've needed to this year.
Agreed and never suggested otherwise. You struggle to run between the tackles, but because of your offensive schemes, you still run the ball very effectively.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I tried to go to 11W. But found several similar comments to the one I will share. I guess if their vocabulary is limited, and lack the ability to make an intelligent retort. They result to ignorance.

BamaMike is the only Bama fan I've ever met (via internet, or in person) capable of a rationale conversation involving Bama. Don't torture yourself with their message boards; it's like Penn State fans without the teeth and with moonshine...but with the track record to be overconfident and the worst.
Yessir, I figur'in we jest toothless drunks!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.