OSU Analysis Thread...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Gotta disagree B1G...take a closer look. Cook was 25-45 for 358 and Lippet had 5 catches for 64 yards. Looking at the drive charts, of those yards, more than half - 183 - came in the 4th qtr after MSU was down 3 TD's and the game no longer in doubt. Cook was 14-19 for 183 yards in garbage time and Lippet had 3 catches for 39 yards.

That means that through 3 qtrs when the game was on the line, Cook was 11 of 26 for 165 yards and Lippet had 2 catches for 25 yards. Clearly we took Lippet out of the game and Cook struggled.....don't get me wrong, Lippet is no Cooper - there aren't many of those guys around - but he is a fine receiver that will play on Sunday and Cook is an excellent QB and is quite comparable to Sims. I wouldn't be surprised to see Grant follow Cooper all over the field ala Lippet.....the test will then be can our front 7 handle the running game without putting a safety in the box.....I'm not sure, but I'm sure you'll see it or some derivative.....
That is what the stats show, but the stats only show that because we stopped running to ball and switched to passing it almost exclusively (they only ran it twice in the 4th qtr). If you want to believe that we were better at pass defense before that, fine by me - but I don't buy it. They were gashing us on the ground and taking what we were giving them. When we put the extra safety back in the box in the second half to stop the run, they went to the air and gashed us in the air. We were never able to take away one without getting destroyed by the other. That is horrible defense and will get us killed by a team as balanced as Alabama.

ETA - Don't get me wrong, if we do this, I hope that it works as you think that it will, but I have serious doubts. We brought in Ash for a reason, and I think that his quarters defense has a greater chance of success against Alabama than the zone/man that we ran against MSU. It is a lot more flexible and is equally capable of covering run and pass plays on any given down.

Last edited:

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
Umm not sure if I agree with this, but I would need to see the link to whom what you're talkinga bout.
http://espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=400547958&period=4

Took it directly from the play-by-play of the 4th qtr.....we scored to open the 4th taking a 42-24 lead with 12 minutes left to play.....Sparty's only shot is to throw the ball, score quickly and then throw it some more......they picked up
over half of their passing yardage and 56% of their catches in the 4th after going down 3 scores......while the game was in doubt, we took Lippet away, Cook lost his safety blanket, found himself under pressure and couldn't execute in the passing game

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
That is what the stats show, but the stats only show that because we stopped running to ball and switched to passing it almost exclusively (they only ran it twice in the 4th qtr). If you want to believe that we were better at pass defense before that, fine by me - but I don't buy it. They were gashing us on the ground and taking what we were giving them. When we put the extra safety back in the box in the second half to stop the run, they went to the air and gashed us in the air. We were never able to take away one without getting destroyed by the other. That is horrible defense and will get us killed by a team as balanced as Alabama.
Dude, they were down 3 TD's with 12 minutes to go.....they had no option but to throw it, the running game is no longer a viable choice. The only way they can win is several quick scores and get some stops. In that situation, you give them all the underneath stuff they want and let them the clock do the rest which is exactly what happened. Prior to that they were 11-26 for 165 yards.....42% and 6.3 yds a throw. The numbers speak for themselves, that's pretty good defense facing an NFL caliber QB/WR combo

With regards to balance, Sparty was 47%/53% run/pass yardage gained -v- Bama at 43%/57% yardage gained.....which is not to say that Sparty's offense is anywhere near the equal of Bama.....it is not. This is a comment on balance....Sparty's offense is very balanced.....

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I dont think OSU really dominated that game. Looking at the tape and the charts, it seems to me MSU kinda abandoned their game plan after second half, when they should've just stick with run and pass plays that worked in first half. They could've chipped away the lead... I'm not sure if this is the good game to compare them, because both team wasn't good in that game... If MSU hadn't busted their plays on defense... It would've went different way.
http://espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=400547958&period=4

Took it directly from the play-by-play of the 4th qtr.....we scored to open the 4th taking a 42-24 lead with 12 minutes left to play.....Sparty's only shot is to throw the ball, score quickly and then throw it some more......they picked up
over half of their passing yardage and 56% of their catches in the 4th after going down 3 scores......while the game was in doubt, we took Lippet away, Cook lost his safety blanket, found himself under pressure and couldn't execute in the passing game

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Dude, they were down 3 TD's with 12 minutes to go.....they had no option but to throw it, the running game is no longer a viable choice. The only way they can win is several quick scores and get some stops. In that situation, you give them all the underneath stuff they want and let them the clock do the rest which is exactly what happened. Prior to that they were 11-26 for 165 yards.....42% and 6.3 yds a throw. The numbers speak for themselves, that's pretty good defense facing an NFL caliber QB/WR combo

With regards to balance, Sparty was 47%/53% run/pass yardage gained -v- Bama at 43%/57% yardage gained.....which is not to say that Sparty's offense is anywhere near the equal of Bama.....it is not. This is a comment on balance....Sparty's offense is very balanced.....
You weren't concerned in the first half as we were gashed by their running game? I know that I was. Very early in that game it became clear that we were going to have to outscore them. It worked out spectacularly, but only because we were able to score at will.

Now, if the offense that played in that game shows up, look out.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Its a very hard game to put your finger on. On one side I feel like Bama would win by a few scores because of the Indiana and Michigan games I watched, but on the other I feel it would be a nail bitter with how they destroyed Whisky. Im going to reserve my prediction for awhile because out of all the teams in the top 4 OSU is the one im most unsure what we are getting.

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
You weren't concerned in the first half as we were gashed by their running game? I know that I was. Very early in that game it became clear that we were going to have to outscore them. It worked out spectacularly, but only because we were able to score at will.

Now, if the offense that played in that game shows up, look out.
Agreed....if we don't defend the run better than we did against Sparty, we will have problems. I think gap discipline and leverage has improved steadily with this team over the course of the season. I think the Wisky game was very, very solid and the 3 weeks of extra work with this young team will be very helpful.....lets not forget that over 1/2 of all production -tackles, TFL's, sacks and interceptions - from this defense are from Frosh or sophomores - this is a very young team and we have yet to see their best......they will be a much better unit on Jan 1 than today

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
I dont think OSU really dominated that game. Looking at the tape and the charts, it seems to me MSU kinda abandoned their game plan after second half, when they should've just stick with run and pass plays that worked in first half. They could've chipped away the lead... I'm not sure if this is the good game to compare them, because both team wasn't good in that game... If MSU hadn't busted their plays on defense... It would've went different way.
In no way did we dominate the game from a defensive standpoint and we had two turnovers on special teams....our offense did dominate the game. We had ten possessions, scored 7 TD's, missed a FG and 2 punts the last of which was in the 4th qtr when we were just burning clock. Sparty's problem was that they couldn't stop us and eventually got behind the scoreboard and clock - at that point it was too much too late

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I'm glad to have some informed Ohio St fans in here. I honestly haven't seen them play much since the VT game. That was eons ago in terms of the football season. Although I'm really not sure any Ohio State would know what to expect starting their 3rd QB. I'm impressed. That alone would have done in 99.9% of the other FBS teams.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Its a very hard game to put your finger on. On one side I feel like Bama would win by a few scores because of the Indiana and Michigan games I watched, but on the other I feel it would be a nail bitter with how they destroyed Whisky. Im going to reserve my prediction for awhile because out of all the teams in the top 4 OSU is the one im most unsure what we are getting.
I am guessing their coach mailed it in because he knew he was leaving.

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
I'm not sure who your sources are but I don't think any sane person in the country thinks Bama is a bad team. And certainly no team goes into a game against Bama/Saban expecting to walk over them. Urban knows better
Hello everyone! I've snooped this site and others over time and decided to finally join. I am a member at gatorchatter.com which is a site for Gator fans that began about 6 mos. ago when the Gainesville Sun Gators message board closed for a while. I encourage you to join us over there for some good fun. We'd love to get your perspective on our new head coach.

Anyway, on to the thread and post topic:
Agree that Urban knows better since his attack of esophageal spasms was brought on following the 2009 game! I'm sure he'd love to have an opportunity to hang with Bama. I just don't see that happening unless he is able to expose UAs secondary - with his 3rd string QB.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I am guessing their coach mailed it in because he knew he was leaving.

There are those that say Whiskey was asked to lay down, it would explain his abrupt departure. I am not a conspiracist . And this all should be in blue.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
There are those that say Whiskey was asked to lay down, it would explain his abrupt departure. I am not a conspiracist . And this all should be in blue.
We don't know what happened that last week. When Fran left, the last week he spent mostly in College Station, leaving the game plan up to the assistants. The players saw the handwriting on the wall and you could see it in our defeat. The same or similar may have happened with Wisky...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I dunno. I just imagine there was a bad vibe when contract talks - that were probably on-going during the season - soured. Considering the timing, I don't know if he was practically hired by Oregon State during game week. He might have been mentally checked out and the player felt the bad vibes.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I have tried to make myself clear since the day that I joined - I love Alabama football, but I went to OSU and am a Buckeye through and through. My love for Alabama comes from my wife's side of the family - particularly her father, whom I love dearly and have missed every day since his passing.

We are a split family - my side all Buckeyes, her side all Crimson & White. Most of us have learned to love them both. But on 1/1/15, for about 4 hours, there will be room in my heart for only one team - OSU.
Wait, you said it was your Dad, not your father-in law. Weird mistake, especially since it's obviously not just a typo - in one case, you grew to love your FIL, in the other your learned to love Bama at an early age - which is it?

At this point should be do away with the pleasantries and just call you NYBF?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I dunno. I just imagine there was a bad vibe when contract talks - that were probably on-going during the season - soured. Considering the timing, I don't know if he was practically hired by Oregon State during game week. He might have been mentally checked out and the player felt the bad vibes.
Believe me, the players did, just like ours did...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Wait, you said it was your Dad, not your father-in law. Weird mistake, especially since it's obviously not just a typo - in one case, you grew to love your FIL, in the other your learned to love Bama at an early age - which is it?

At this point should be do away with the pleasantries and just call you NYBF?
LOL - That was my wife, who also posts using this account, though much less frequently than I do lately. She is the one who did the research and picked this site. I am just a football geek. Her posts are easy to spot - she was the one who posted "I am! I am!" in the thread about pulling for Arizona against the Ducks. Her enthusiasm is easy to pick out against my flat posts.

What is NYBF?

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
LOL - That was my wife, who also posts using this account, though much less frequently than I do lately. She is the one who did the research and picked this site. I am just a football geek. Her posts are easy to spot - she was the one who posted "I am! I am!" in the thread about pulling for Arizona against the Ducks. Her enthusiasm is easy to pick out against my flat posts.

What is NYBF?

Tell your wife to make an account and join the other ladies here. :)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Tell your wife to make an account and join the other ladies here. :)
LOL - If I did that she would tell me to get my own account since she created this one. Her concession to me on the account - she let me put on the OSU avatar, but I had to use the black/white one. She's amazing - the best thing that ever happened to me (and I say that knowing that she will read it :biggrin2:).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.