OSU Analysis Thread...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You have to really sift through the OSU sites to find anything resembling a cogent analysis thread, but this one is from their Scout site. It has some intelligent analysis and a whole lot of gibberish. They think their receiver corps is deeper than ours and all they have to do is stop Cooper. Dream on...

LINK

CLINT

1st Team
Aug 11, 2010
Central Illinois
You have to really sift through the OSU sites to find anything resembling a cogent analysis thread, but this one is from their Scout site. It has some intelligent analysis and a whole lot of gibberish. They think their receiver corps is deeper than ours and all they have to do is stop Cooper. Dream on...

LINK
That is ALL Joey Galloway was spouting on the Ranking Show on Sunday. He said all tOSU had to do was stop Cooper.... oh and that our Defensive line was in a down year and not as good as years passed... that was until Reece and Kirk told him he was dead wrong...

CLINT

1st Team
Aug 11, 2010
Central Illinois
Re-reading their "analysis"..... they continually point to our close game with Arky, Barn scoring 44 points, loss to a "mediocre" Ole Miss team.... Being married to a Buckeye fan, I've watched 90% of all their games and they have hardly a leg to stand on. Must I mention their loss "gasp" to Va Tech, a game they should have lost in OT to a bad Penn STate team (who lost to our locally bad ILLINOIS team), and a game they were LOSING in the 3rd qtr to an Indiana team that didn't win a B1G conference game.

I guess I was raised to not talk trash (except about auburn), and be humble because I HATE the taste of humble pie. I'll give you respect instead, and if you beat me, my hats off to you.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
You had to read to the very end of the thread to get this excellent contribution from a Gamecock.

How to beat Bama... score more points than them.

There is a key stat being missed when people mention the Ole Miss, LSU, Tennessee, and Arkansas games, and the performance of Blake Sims.

The key is this: "@"

Those were all road games. What is often lost in the discussion of Sims, is that he is a first year starter. Alabama had a lot of trouble with communication early in the season. Sims has progressed a great deal, and at home or neutral sites, he and the Alabama offense have been very hard to handle. When they are "on," good luck hanging with them.

What is scary, is that Alabama is a very young team. If I remember correctly, they have the 2nd highest number of freshmen and sophomores in their two deep, of any team in a major conference.

Another thing that cannot be restated enough, is that for a team to beat Alabama, that team will need to have all-world QB play. That is a common denominator among teams that have hung a loss on the Crimson Tide...and it generally comes from mobile QB's with a high degree of accuracy.

To the person comparing who Bama has played vs who tOSU has played as a barometer to predict future success, that is pointless. Top 25 rushing offenses are only relevant when those stats are forged against similar teams. Wisconsin has a strong run game, but their passing offense ranks 117th. When playing them, tOSU could afford to play man and bring a safety up for run support. They are terrible at throwing it, and Alabama will eat your lunch throwing it. Wisky has 13 passing TD's, and 14 interceptions...Alabama has 30/7, and double the yards. Wisky ran up stats on really weak defenses. Probably their most impressive game was the opening loss against LSU on a neutral field, and those kinds of games are difficult to quantify. Outside of LSU, the highest ranked run defense Wisconsin had faced prior to tOSU, was 51st. Wisky played an FCS team, and 5 teams with run defenses ranked 90+. The Badgers were probably in shock that there was a run defense on the field when tOSU played them. In terms of Ohio State's opponents, Mich State, and PSU have statistically strong defenses, but tOSU played a ton of teams with really, really bad defenses. According to Sagarin, the Alabama strength of schedule rank is 4th. tOSU schedule rank is 52. Again, according the Sagarin, Alabama is 9-1 against top 30 teams. tOSU is 2-0. Stats are meaningless when the level of competition is that different.

The same thing can be said about looking at the Oklahoma bowl game for inspiration. OU played a Bama team that was literally 1 second away from playing for a national title. I am sure you have seen the video of Auburn running back the missed field goal. They were deflated and didn't want to be there. It was a lot like the 2008 Utah game following Florida's come from behind win over Nick Saban's second Bama team. Nick Saban coached teams vying for titles don't overlook teams, and with 3 weeks to prepare, they will be ready. tOSU better be.

I think it could be a competitive game, but it 100% rides on your QB play. If you are counting on your run game, don't. Your QB will have to play out of his mind to keep this game close enough to be winnable. Alabama's defense will scheme to make your 3rd string QB beat them. That is the bottom line. Their goal will be: stop the run and get you in 3rd and long. From there, Smart will hit you with disguised coverages, and exotic blitzes. On the other side, tOSU has given up points to teams with balanced offenses, and Alabama will be the best offense you have faced in that regard. Alabama will score... if I had to put a number on it, I would say 40-ish... mid 30's+. The Buckeyes will have to keep up, and your running game alone won't do that against Alabama.

The Buckeyes rank 4th in the nation in points per game, but you are giving your 3rd team QB his second start against a defense that often makes good QB's look bad. As has been mentioned, the Bama secondary is not as good as years past, but they are still good - regardless of what Auburn did. Texas A&M's rookie QB eviscerated South Carolina, and carved up Auburn. Against Alabama, they had 8 first downs, and 171 yards of total offense. Again, I can't stress this enough... it all falls on your QB. I can understand Alabama fans being somewhat optimistic about this game. If I was a Buckeye fan, I would be hopeful, but I wouldn't feel confident.

One thing I'll start with on this thread is this. Bama is hungry. That's something you cannot quantify right now. Teams can chant we want Bama all they want, but we've witnessed time and time again what happens when Bama wants you.

I really don't see how Bama loses to these guys. We have a lot, actually two much for them to try and stop.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Why are they even mentioning the OU game??? That was a different team and was LAST season. Also I'm seeing a lot of 2002 comparisons. Nick Saban is a far more competent HC (especially in preparation) than Larry Coker ever was. This Alabama team has played a tougher schedule in the SEC than in the crappy Big East that '02 Miami did.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
You had to read to the very end of the thread to get this excellent contribution from a Gamecock.

How to beat Bama... score more points than them.

There is a key stat being missed when people mention the Ole Miss, LSU, Tennessee, and Arkansas games, and the performance of Blake Sims.

The key is this: "@"

Those were all road games. What is often lost in the discussion of Sims, is that he is a first year starter. Alabama had a lot of trouble with communication early in the season. Sims has progressed a great deal, and at home or neutral sites, he and the Alabama offense have been very hard to handle. When they are "on," good luck hanging with them.

What is scary, is that Alabama is a very young team. If I remember correctly, they have the 2nd highest number of freshmen and sophomores in their two deep, of any team in a major conference.

Another thing that cannot be restated enough, is that for a team to beat Alabama, that team will need to have all-world QB play. That is a common denominator among teams that have hung a loss on the Crimson Tide...and it generally comes from mobile QB's with a high degree of accuracy.

To the person comparing who Bama has played vs who tOSU has played as a barometer to predict future success, that is pointless. Top 25 rushing offenses are only relevant when those stats are forged against similar teams. Wisconsin has a strong run game, but their passing offense ranks 117th. When playing them, tOSU could afford to play man and bring a safety up for run support. They are terrible at throwing it, and Alabama will eat your lunch throwing it. Wisky has 13 passing TD's, and 14 interceptions...Alabama has 30/7, and double the yards. Wisky ran up stats on really weak defenses. Probably their most impressive game was the opening loss against LSU on a neutral field, and those kinds of games are difficult to quantify. Outside of LSU, the highest ranked run defense Wisconsin had faced prior to tOSU, was 51st. Wisky played an FCS team, and 5 teams with run defenses ranked 90+. The Badgers were probably in shock that there was a run defense on the field when tOSU played them. In terms of Ohio State's opponents, Mich State, and PSU have statistically strong defenses, but tOSU played a ton of teams with really, really bad defenses. According to Sagarin, the Alabama strength of schedule rank is 4th. tOSU schedule rank is 52. Again, according the Sagarin, Alabama is 9-1 against top 30 teams. tOSU is 2-0. Stats are meaningless when the level of competition is that different.

The same thing can be said about looking at the Oklahoma bowl game for inspiration. OU played a Bama team that was literally 1 second away from playing for a national title. I am sure you have seen the video of Auburn running back the missed field goal. They were deflated and didn't want to be there. It was a lot like the 2008 Utah game following Florida's come from behind win over Nick Saban's second Bama team. Nick Saban coached teams vying for titles don't overlook teams, and with 3 weeks to prepare, they will be ready. tOSU better be.

I think it could be a competitive game, but it 100% rides on your QB play. If you are counting on your run game, don't. Your QB will have to play out of his mind to keep this game close enough to be winnable. Alabama's defense will scheme to make your 3rd string QB beat them. That is the bottom line. Their goal will be: stop the run and get you in 3rd and long. From there, Smart will hit you with disguised coverages, and exotic blitzes. On the other side, tOSU has given up points to teams with balanced offenses, and Alabama will be the best offense you have faced in that regard. Alabama will score... if I had to put a number on it, I would say 40-ish... mid 30's+. The Buckeyes will have to keep up, and your running game alone won't do that against Alabama.

The Buckeyes rank 4th in the nation in points per game, but you are giving your 3rd team QB his second start against a defense that often makes good QB's look bad. As has been mentioned, the Bama secondary is not as good as years past, but they are still good - regardless of what Auburn did. Texas A&M's rookie QB eviscerated South Carolina, and carved up Auburn. Against Alabama, they had 8 first downs, and 171 yards of total offense. Again, I can't stress this enough... it all falls on your QB. I can understand Alabama fans being somewhat optimistic about this game. If I was a Buckeye fan, I would be hopeful, but I wouldn't feel confident.
Those were two different QB's A&M had starting against Alabama and Auburn. However you are right about the Whisky comparison, they can't throw the ball at all and their defense is nowhere near on par with Alabama's. This will be their QB's second start and CNS/Smart should have no problem confusing him.

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
I have to say this about OSU. I look at this game much like I did when we played Mizzou. Mizzou is a good team against weaker competition, and I was pretty confident that BAMA would pull it out in the end with the depth that we have on the defensive line. But, I was confident that BAMA would win it in the end. And, to be perfectly honest, I believe that OSU would be a good match up with Mizzou. Would be a really good competative game. But, I do believe that they match up about like Mizzou. And, the outcome should be similar. Just My Opinion.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
We have to give Meyer & his staff credit for getting 3 QB's game day ready to play. Like PSU they usually have a good defense & always have a top running back. A lot of this does not show on a stat sheet.

neither does the desire of a team, their mindset. If anyone thinks that's not important please go back & look at the z2010 team.

i believe the close loss to Ole Miss & the close game with Arky did more to shape the attitude of this team this year & that attitude, which CNS speaks of, will be the difference.

In my view this game will look a lot like the SECCG.

final thought: All you need to do is stop Cooper....wow Joey was the first to think up that one? Problem a lot of really good coaches tried it. I saw 3 defenders on him at a time in games. His talent is so great that stopping him is easier said than done. I truly wish he had a shot at the stiff arm trophy but ESPN wants a QB.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm looking forward to this thread!!! Been waiting on it! This type of discussion is what makes TideFans a cut above!!!

ohiotide14

1st Team
Jan 3, 2012
Youngstown, OH
None of the overall stats are relevant. Apples and oranges. If we played common opponents it would be a different story. We dont. It is very difficult to compare the competition fairly. Even playing Mizzou, we only had 4 common opponents and we saw how the "stats" worked in that game. You can twist stats anyway you like. I expect this to be very similar to the Notre Dame game. A Midwest team with poor competition. Also, one cannot stress this enough...CNS is 9-1 in championship games. His teams preparing for the national championship have come in much improved on both sides of the ball with a month to work. We have always been a much better team with the extra month. I watched Cardale last night on BIG10 network, hes a pretty good ball player. He can def throw the ball, but presents no run/pass conflict. Theyre running the read option with him and he is of no threat to run against us. Hes a pure pocket passer. Stop Elliot and game is over.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I think just simply getting TJ, Blake, and Coop all 100% healthy is a BIG factor for our success going forward.

Blake and Coop have been a little dinged up but still playing at incredibly high levels. TJ might not be 80% right now though. He just doesn't look right but he's a Warrior and if he can get to 90-100% it will make a huge difference.

I feel so good about our team overall right now. I just love them. The chemistry is special and they have each other's backs all the way man.

You just can't simply 'take X player' away from us and be fine. White, Christian, and OJ are all making plays in the passing game as is Nudie!!

In fact Fowler is a big X factor in the running and passing game. Weapons are everywhere.

Blake is so clutch too it's ridiculous. His 3rd down passing % is 1st in the country and his SEC QBR is 3rd all time only to Newton and Manziel (2 Heisman winners).

We are acting like the Hunter and I feel really good about #16 becoming a reality. I'm never really a sunshine pumper but more a pragmatic realist....But this bunch has me believing in them BIG TIME :D

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
We have to give Meyer & his staff credit for getting 3 QB's game day ready to play. Like PSU they usually have a good defense & always have a top running back. A lot of this does not show on a stat sheet.

neither does the desire of a team, their mindset. If anyone thinks that's not important please go back & look at the z2010 team.

i believe the close loss to Ole Miss & the close game with Arky did more to shape the attitude of this team this year & that attitude, which CNS speaks of, will be the difference.

In my view this game will look a lot like the SECCG.

final thought: All you need to do is stop Cooper....wow Joey was the first to think up that one? Problem a lot of really good coaches tried it. I saw 3 defenders on him at a time in games. His talent is so great that stopping him is easier said than done. I truly wish he had a shot at the stiff arm trophy but ESPN wants a QB.
Put 2-3 on Cooper, and they'll be talking about Deandrew White's huge day during post game analysis.
Please, play with 6 in the box to stop Amari....please, please, please.

...we got more weapons than just Amari Cooper...
Joey Galloway will learn that soon.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I'm hoping our boys make a statement and play dominant at each of their positions.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
I believe post season outcomes generally come down to preparation. After the 2011 BCS game against LSU, CKS said, (paraphrasing) "we watched film of every LSU game for the last 5 yrs." You can bet your mortgage CNS already has had his GAs put together film of CUM tendencies going back to UF. CNS has also stated he uses a timeline, starting from bowl date and working backwards for post season practices. His record speaks for itself, there really is nobody better in his business.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.