OSU Analysis Thread...

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
Welcome! Would you please explain why there's emphasis on "The" Ohio St. U? Seems already implied.
Lol....goes way back to a couple of things. At some point in history, there was a peeing contest between Ohio University in Athens and us, The Ohio State University, about legal naming rights, etc, might even have gone through the court system....pretty stupid actually. That prompted an overt effort on the part of the University to use the formal legal name The Ohio State University on just about everything of a formal nature.....at some point during player introductions for high profile NFL games, all of our guys began saying THE Ohio State University for swagger effect or whatever, who knows...but it has stuck ever since....it's been 30 years or so....the first guy I ever remember was Cris Carter when he was with the Eagles in the 80's....may have been some guys prior to that even...just don't remember.

Last edited:

Tbux

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2014
I stopped reading after that guy said Henry was a straight-ahead runner and fat. He's literally the exact opposite of that.
The kid reminds me alot of Eddie George, same build, much the same running style....Eddie's junior and senior years it was pretty much man -v- boys. Beast.....

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
He is anything but fat and I wished that he would run straight ahead at times.
I dunno. He seems to have found some rhythm running wide lately. His struggles mid-season seemed to be with a lot of inside stuff. He's a big guy, so I guess it kinda makes sense...not going to get small through any holes...tall enough that the defenders don't lose sight of him behind the linemen either.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
LOL at Henry being "fat". Yea keep thinking Henry is big and fat. Not many fat guys I know that is as fast as him.

Of course I know the coaches at tOSU know better.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Does OSU run the same stuff Meyer ran at Florida?
Kinda, without the dominant TEs that he always had at Florida, and then Barrett went down. I am sure that you will see most of the Florida Meyer offense, but some things are going to have to be changed as Jones looked incapable of making anyone miss against in the B1G Championship game. He is huge - 6'5" and well over 250 - but he had no quickness at all in that game.

Not sure what Meyer will do with him, but the read/option became a straight handoff by the end of that game. When Cardale kept the ball, he was swarmed or it turned out to be a play action pass play.

He was effective with the play action, but that was because we had a huge day rushing. In short - stuff our run game and you force Meyer to run an offense that will look nothing like the one he ran at Florida.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't know if Henry is the fastest guy but his size and long stride seems to cause defenders issues with pursuit angles. Mizzou was a solid team when it came to angles of pursuit...but on a few of those long runs, the LBs and safeties just took bad angles when they seemed like they should have contained the run to 10-15 yards.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Kinda, without the dominant TEs that he always had at Florida, and then Barrett went down. I am sure that you will see most of the Florida Meyer offense, but some things are going to have to be changed as Jones looked incapable of making anyone miss against in the B1G Championship game. He is huge - 6'5" and well over 250 - but he had no quickness at all in that game.

Not sure what Meyer will do with him, but the read/option became a straight handoff by the end of that game. When Cardale kept the ball, he was swarmed or it turned out to be a play action pass play.

He was effective with the play action, but that was because we had a huge day rushing. In short - stuff our run game and you force Meyer to run an offense that will look nothing like the one he ran at Florida.
I went back and looked at some videos and it looks similar. He's setting the tailback deeper - play-action rather than zone-read - than he used to. He also uses the wingback more than he used to.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't know if Henry is the fastest guy but his size and long stride seems to cause defenders issues with pursuit angles. Mizzou was a solid team when it came to angles of pursuit...but on a few of those long runs, the LBs and safeties just took bad angles when they seemed like they should have contained the run to 10-15 yards.
I actually responded to that post with a pic of Henry, and reminded them of his size, because the pix will fool you, At 6'4" and 240, he just doesn't look that big, until you see him up against the other players. I didn't think anyone could make Fowler look petite. Also, he's our fastest back at low 4.4s 40 time, just a tiny bit faster than Yeldon...

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
Lol....goes way back to a couple of things. At some point in history, there was a peeing contest between Ohio University in Athens and us, The Ohio State University, about legal naming rights, etc, might even have gone through the court system....pretty stupid actually. That prompted an overt effort on the part of the University to use the formal legal name The Ohio State University on just about everything of a formal nature.....at some point during player introductions for high profile NFL games, all of our guys began saying THE Ohio State University for swagger effect or whatever, who knows...but it has stuck ever since....it's been 30 years or so....the first guy I ever remember was Cris Carter when he was with the Eagles in the 80's....may have been some guys prior to that even...just don't remember.
I was good friends with Chris Carter's middle brother, John. Cool cat except for when Ohio State and Bama played in 86. He talked the most trash that I had ever heard leading up to the game. Afterwards, he was no where to found for a couple of days.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
My concern with OSU is trying to stop the long ball, especially when the QB has more than 3 to 4 seconds to pass, also if OSU can adapt to the defense scheme Ol Miss used against our receivers. It could develop into a long afternoon in The Sugar Bowl. Hopefully we can get pressure on the young QB and keep him in containment. I expect OSU to commit to stopping the run and keep a double team on Omari Cooper but I'm counting on them not expecting the wheels on our QB, that is not talked about very often and we never hear about White, Black and OJ, so maybe a lot will be flying under the radar when Bama comes roaring onto the field Slinging Snot.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
This is probably the most overrated team out of the final 3 IMO. Baylor and TCU would have been absolutely torched by us. Of that I have no doubt. OSU plays at least some semblance of defense but the speed differential is so profound that one game isn't enough for them to adjust. When you play week in week out against the B10 teams and then plop in a well rested, fully hyped SEC power it will be rough. This will be much like the Michigan game of a couple of years ago. This is not some powerhouse.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
For some reason I keep thinking that if we keep saying how we will stomp OSU and that they are not worthy oponents, we are setting ourselves up for a big letdown like our last trip to the Sugar Bowl (which still stings). Remember what happened to Miami when they said we were not worthy oponents? They got embarassed, big time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.