Columbia Law Allows Students To Postpone Exams Due To Recent Grand Jury Verdicts

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/09/n...ms-after-garner-and-brown-decisions.html?_r=0

Columbia Law School is allowing students to postpone their final exams this month if they feel unnerved by the recent grand jury decisions not to indict police officers in the deaths of unarmed black men.

The policy was announced by the school’s interim dean, Robert E. Scott, in an email on Saturday to the school community. A small number of students have received postponements, a Columbia spokeswoman, Elizabeth Schmalz, said on Monday, though she declined to say how many.

In his email, Mr. Scott wrote that following existing policies for “trauma during exam period,” students who felt their performance could suffer because of the decisions in the Ferguson, Mo., and Staten Island cases could request a delay.

“The grand juries’ determinations to return nonindictments in the Michael Brown and Eric Garner cases have shaken the faith of some in the integrity of the grand jury system and in the law more generally,” he wrote. “For some law students, particularly, though not only, students of color, this chain of events is all the more profound as it threatens to undermine a sense that the law is a fundamental pillar of society designed to protect fairness, due process and equality.”

Wow.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/09/n...ms-after-garner-and-brown-decisions.html?_r=0

Columbia Law School is allowing students to postpone their final exams this month if they feel unnerved by the recent grand jury decisions not to indict police officers in the deaths of unarmed black men.

The policy was announced by the school’s interim dean, Robert E. Scott, in an email on Saturday to the school community. A small number of students have received postponements, a Columbia spokeswoman, Elizabeth Schmalz, said on Monday, though she declined to say how many.

In his email, Mr. Scott wrote that following existing policies for “trauma during exam period,” students who felt their performance could suffer because of the decisions in the Ferguson, Mo., and Staten Island cases could request a delay.

“The grand juries’ determinations to return nonindictments in the Michael Brown and Eric Garner cases have shaken the faith of some in the integrity of the grand jury system and in the law more generally,” he wrote. “For some law students, particularly, though not only, students of color, this chain of events is all the more profound as it threatens to undermine a sense that the law is a fundamental pillar of society designed to protect fairness, due process and equality.”

Wow.
Funny. So at Columbia, if due process comes back with a result you don't like based off your interpretations of sensationalized news stories without seeing any evidence yourself, it undermines a fundamental pillar of society. I will have to remember that.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Most of the Universities in this country are so very liberal, full of liberal professors, pushing the liberal agenda. That's what going to college and "getting an education" really means nowdays. It means getting liberally brainwashed. I realized that several years ago when I was in college.

It's why you see so many college students within these protests going on all across the country in these liberal cities and states. These have become, and are becoming the politicians that represent the American people. That's how we got where we're at, and why it's getting worse by the hour.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
Talk about squandering a teachable moment! Might have been better to devote a little more time to how grand juries work. You know, since these are law students.

Now if students had missed class or study time due to disruptions caused by the constant protests or riots, I could see giving them some leeway there.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Think a judge would give them a continuance if they said they were upset about these cases?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Not too surprising given the current nature of what we see in the lamestream media.

No where do we see anything about personal responsibility.

No where do we see anything about obeying the law.

I just shake my head....

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
“It shows a remarkable degree of empathy,” Stephen Gillers, a law professor at New York University, said. “Students cannot expect that from their boss in practice, nor I imagine would they ask for it. And they certainly can’t expect it from a judge when papers are due. But you know, academic institutions are worlds of their own.”

Yep, it's called fantasy land.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I thought a college class in your intended profession was supposed to train you for the real world.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Saw this on the 'book, thought it was hilarious. Student tries to get out of finals:

I love the subtle racism in her altruistic anti-racist spiel.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.